More problems opening SOWG

Game won't run. Keeps crashing. Hopefully we won't get any posts here, but if we do, we'll try to help you out. You can also post any bugs that you find here. IMPORTANT: Don't post mod related problems here!
Don
Reactions:

Re: More problems opening SOWG

Post by Don »

Same problem as Cliometrician. The icon is just that- an icon. When I downloaded the updates for this site, McAfee reported a bonus download- an Artemis Trojan, which it quarantined. I've been trying to get the game to work on my W10 pro, but no go. It looks like taps for Gettysburg.
Col D. Streamer
Reactions:

Post by Col D. Streamer »

I am having the same problem having bought a new laptop and trying to run SOWGB on it. I have a ticket open with Matrix and all they can tell me is to restore SOWGB from quarantine and to exclude it from the scan, Hoberer everytime it gets re-quarantined. I am resigned to waiting for Macafee to expire and installing a new virus protection.

Its a shame really because it is stopping me from buying Waterloo
regards to all

Nick
Don
Reactions:

Post by Don »

It is also stopping me from buying Waterloo. I have been in touch with McAfee, & I explained the situation to them a week ago, but they have not yet resolved the issue. The issue is clearly a misidentification of SOW.exe with a Trojan. This happens only on W10 Pro to my knowledge. I am awaiting the results from McAfee, & I expect that when they are satisfied that SOW.exe is not an Artemis Trojan they will remove it from their definitions of a virus. Until then, we can only wait.
Saddletank
Reactions:

Post by Saddletank »

McAfee is the one common element in these problems, it seems. I suggest trying a different AV program. McAfee is not very good anyway and is full of holes as well as infamous for false positives like these.
HITS & Couriers - a different and realistic way to play SoW MP.
Col D. Streamer
Reactions:

I only use Macafee because I bought a new laptop and had a year free with them. It expires in July so I will change then
regards to all

Nick
Martin James
Reactions:

Post by Martin James »

I would echo Saddletank's advice.

Macafee often comes with new PCs but you can always strip it out and use AVG instead. I think it's just as good, there is a free version, and does not give rise to any problems with SOW.

Martin (J)
Saddletank
Reactions:

Post by Saddletank »

Antivir by Avira is another highly rated free AV suite. Both this and AVG are probably more secure than McAfee. Avira gets rated well by the techy forums and is probably the best free one out there.

If you are going to pay for anti-virus F-Secure and Eset are probably the two best ones currently. I use E-Set and its extremely effective.
HITS & Couriers - a different and realistic way to play SoW MP.
Col D. Streamer
Reactions:

There is a happy ending. I uninstalled Macafee,installed another virus protetcion, downloaded SOW again from Matrix and all is well. I'll get Waterloo now!
regards to all

Nick
bleuduck
Reactions:

Post by bleuduck »

I turned off the "REAL TIME SCANNING" feature in MacAfee after removing the "SOWGB.exe" file from the quarantined files and the game then worked fine. Turn REAL TIME SCANNING back on if going on tne web.
Last edited by bleuduck on Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kerflumoxed
Reactions:

Post by Kerflumoxed »

As a subscriber to Time-Warner internet, I received a "free" anti-virus download for McAfee. Now, I can't play SoW and Matrix/Slitherline is little/no help. So, I contacted McAfee direct and while they seem sympathetic to my plight, they said that I will have to go to T/W. They also gave me a McAfee case number and said there was a McAfee team that worked only with T/W issues. Called T/W and found out that the "team" does not work on weekends! Nice! Anyway, will try them in the morning.

Just thought I would add this in case anyone else has T/W and the same problem.

J
Jack Hanger
Fremont, NE
[/size]
"Boys, if we have to stand in a straight line as stationary targets for the Yankees to shoot at, this old Texas Brigade is going to run like hell!" J. B. Poley, 4th Texas Infantry, Hood's Texas Brigade