I'm considering making a mod

A new section for modding SOW Waterloo. Ask questions, post tips here.
Jacquinot
Reactions:

Re: I'm considering making a mod

Post by Jacquinot »

I think need just make some changes in logistic files
Deeter
Reactions:

Post by Deeter »

So, I suppose that is the reason for the unfortunate decision that squares can't move? In this instance, I can provide dozens or more examples to the contrary. Interesting discussion...

Deeter
Saddletank
Reactions:

Post by Saddletank »

That's an interesting discussion. Squares could move, yes, but they were not then squares, but a square-shaped formation of two lines and two columns. They still needed a fair bit of time to halt, dress, face and be able to repel cavalry. It also needed extremely well-drilled troops and skilled and alert officers to do this and many troops could not. So the answer is not an easy one. I think what NSD have done by providing the square as fixed but its able to move short distances as a column then resume square when it halts is a good compromise and still allows cavalry to have an effect on reducing its speed.

I find that the advance 25 yards order used successively is a good enough representation of a battalion moving in square: while its in motion it is vulnerable but is able to halt, dress and be a formed square when it halts. All we are missing is the actual shape of the square when its moving, other than that this seems okay to me.
HITS & Couriers - a different and realistic way to play SoW MP.
Deeter
Reactions:

Post by Deeter »

I wonder if it was really that difficult to move a square or that the troop had to be that experienced? There are numerous accounts of 1813 conscript battalions advancing in squares, etc. But we will never really know I suppose. No one today really knows how melees actually played out for example.

At least the KS mod allows columns to fire (I think), differentiates between cavalry weights and fixes numerous other interpretations I disagree with.

Deeter
Saddletank
Reactions:

Post by Saddletank »

Yes, columns of division fire from the front companies in the KS Mod.
HITS & Couriers - a different and realistic way to play SoW MP.
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

I'm not sure if I will be able to take it to the end.But the questions is what mods are people working on? I was thinging about making a mod for austro-prussian war or maybe a boxer rebellion or russo-japanese war but that is probably out of the scope of the engine posibillities. Still it's in the very far future. Also are there some tutorials how to make a sprites from scratch?
Thanks and Happy new year.
This thread, though informative, got off track. Here's a Sprite 'Building Tutorial' link by Tim, our present Sprite meister.

http://www.madminutegames.com/MadMinute ... php?t=4728
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...