Help after purchase!

Game won't run. Keeps crashing. Hopefully we won't get any posts here, but if we do, we'll try to help you out. You can also post any bugs that you find here. IMPORTANT: Don't post mod related problems here!
yrrabnhoj
Reactions:

Help after purchase!

Post by yrrabnhoj »

Hi, after purchasing Scourge of war Gettysburg I then purchased Scourge of War Chancellorsville, having tried the game I have some questions:
1) Why can’t I find the Scenarios for Chancellorsville in the same way as Gettysburg, i.e. listed on little flags on the map menu when pressing the scenario option, only the Gettysburg scenarios are showing?
2) Why is there no complete army OOB to play under the sandbox? It only lists OOBs for each day of the battle, and no complete army list, e.g. all three Corps under Lee? It would be nice to play with the complete OOB of each army, as it was prior to any engagement in the sandbox.
3) Why is it when I choose to play, for example a Brigade Commander with say 4 regiments under me, I am not in complete control? Yes, I control the General but it seems that when I issue orders via the Generals order box (example: move into line formation!) to the regiments under the General I am in constant conflict with the AI, which countermands my orders?
Thank you for your help in advance
Jim
Reactions:

Re: Help after purchase!

Post by Jim »

For #1, if you already have Gettysburg installed, the Chancellorsville scenarios will be found in Additional Battles.

To answer #2, in the Battle of Chancellorsville, the Confederate army was organized into just 2 corps. The change in organization from two to three corps occurred between the battles of Chancellorsville and Gettysburg following the death of General Thomas J Jackson on May 10th 1863. Part of the 1st Corps was detached to North Carolina under the command of Longstreet. Lee commanded the remainder of 1st Corps directly during the battle.

Not sure what to tell you about #3, game play for Chancellorsville is just the same as for Gettysburg.

-Jim
"My God, if we've not got a cool brain and a big one too, to manage this affair, the nation is ruined forever." Unknown private, 14th Vermont, 2 July 1863
yrrabnhoj
Reactions:

Post by yrrabnhoj »

Thank you for your reply I really appreciate it.
Re Question 1) Ok, now I see what has happened, because I had Gettysburg already installed it put all the scenarios in the additional folder, not showing the same as Gettysburg, I take it that when I purchase the other games in the series it will do the same?

Re Question 2) I understand this, thank you, you know your history:) Let me rephrase my question, is it possible to play with all three Corps OOBs together through the Gettysburg game sandbox, e.g. if all of Lee`s Corps had been on hand prior to Day one?

Re Question 3) I have realised for both games, if you take charge of a General (Brigade Commander) you are in control of the Regiments prior to approaching the battle, then you are in conflict with the AI as to trying to command the regiments through the General unless you take control of each regiment, which is a bit frustrating having to keep repeating the same orders. You find you end up talking to monitor and asking why a particular Regiment is making such a stupid move when your plan is something else? Not advisable to play late at night, the whole house could be woken:) I realise this is probably done to simulate realism, but in my opinion the AI goes to far, it is very stubborn, battling you for control! I guess not much can be done here as its programmed that way even at the easy levels.

Thank you for all your help
Barry
Saddletank
Reactions:

Post by Saddletank »

On #3, I am a little puzzled by what you are experiencing. If you are a division commander or a brigade commander the game automatically sets the status of that officer to "TC'd" and therefore although he will get a set of orders from his next in line superior (corps or division as applicable) you, the player, are free to ignore those orders and act as you see fit. These orders from your superior WILL NOT be passed to your regiments (if you're a brigadier) or brigades (if you're a division commander). Your regts or brigades will always do as you order until their morale becomes shaky.

I don't know why you are seeing differently. It might be that you have a conflicting set of parameters set up in the options screens but I can't think what that could be.

Has Chancellorsville installed in a completely different folder to Gettysburg? Presumably you bought Matrix's stand-alone version rather than the Gettysburg add-on version.

To answer #1, all the other Gettysburg add-ons will install in the Gettysburg folder (Pipe Creek, Brandy Station, Antietam). The other add-on maps and OOBs are free downloads, so install these as mods in the Gettysburg folder.
HITS & Couriers - a different and realistic way to play SoW MP.
yrrabnhoj
Reactions:

Post by yrrabnhoj »

Thank you for your reply, yes I now know what happened to the Scenarios they are all installed in the additional folder, and can be accessed from there, and yes it was because I bought the stand alone version, thank you.

What is happening with regards to Q3 when I take command of say a Brigade General all my regiments obey me until I get in to combat then I find I am in conflict with the AI telling my regiments, no don't line up there or shoot at that enemy regiment, rather line up there and shoot at that one. Time and again the regiments have a mind of their own! Now, I realise this is to simulate realism in a battle, but I feel it is overdone. I don't remember it being that difficult to control my regiments in the Take Command games, even when not taking direct control of your regiments. Now they just seem to get in each others way and you have to keep clicking on them to go to a particular flanking position or whatever the command is you are giving. The AI has other ideas.

I realise not much can be done here and I will have to adapt, but it can get really frustrating.

Thanks
Barry
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Time and again the regiments have a mind of their own! Now, I realise this is to simulate realism in a battle, but I feel it is overdone
At the division level for better control without resorting to TC select the 'Hold to the Last' order. Not only will the troops cooperate better but that is the only order that will not change as the AI sees fit, it'll stick until player opts to change it, by division or individual brigades. This won't apply to artillery however, they stay stubborn to move or cooperate regardless of orders, so TC arty officers always for full control and placement. Once positioned TC off and repeat 'Hold to the Last' orders.

To force regiments to move during engagement I prefer the command 'attackmarch' over TC. I doesn't have to be micromanaged near as much and can be just as effective.
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
yrrabnhoj
Reactions:

Post by yrrabnhoj »

Thank you, I will give this method a try, I have only been using TC and controlling through my General to date.

Regards
Barry
Last edited by yrrabnhoj on Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.