Blenheim mod port?

A new section for modding SOW Waterloo. Ask questions, post tips here.
lordhedgwich
Reactions:

Blenheim mod port?

Post by lordhedgwich »

Will blenheim mod ever get ported? Im new to SoW and started with Waterloo Im considering buying SoW:GB just for this mod it looks really good! Is there any chance of a waterloo port?
alessillo
Reactions:

Re: Blenheim mod port?

Post by alessillo »

Hi lordhedgwich,

I'm waiting for the SDK to understand the Waterloo engine and see if it will be possible to port the Blenheim mod.

Cheers
Saddletank
Reactions:

Post by Saddletank »

I think there are some mods that probably work better in Gettysburg. Just because we have a new game it doesn't necessarily follow that GB mods will be any better in WL.

GB doesn't have squares, so IMHO its a better game in which to mod anything pre-squares (which is everything before Napoleonics in effect).

If I were to build a mod like SYW, for example, I'd have no hesitation to use GB as the base.
HITS & Couriers - a different and realistic way to play SoW MP.
lordhedgwich
Reactions:

Post by lordhedgwich »

just now saw the replies i dont own GB i really should get it though i havent played for about a week kind of got bored with battle of waterloo kind of waiting on mods =) lol
Saddletank
Reactions:

Post by Saddletank »

Its definitely worth getting just for all the cool mods that have been made for it. It also comes with some very nice maps, plus the several add-on packs and free maps give you a shedload more real estate to fight over.

There is a KS Nap Mod for GB as well, its possibly as good as the one for WL.

Plus if you have the pay-for add-on map packs like Antietam, Brandy Station and Pipe Creek you can use those maps with the KS Nap Mod for WL. I think Matrix sells a "150th anniversary pack" with everything bundled together. Definitely worth it.

The KS group plays games using GB occasionally with different mods so you'd have some MP game potential as well. The Fontenoy and Custer mods are both excellent.
Gunfreak
Reactions:

Post by Gunfreak »

It should be ported simply for the cavalry mele stuff done in WL!

Also squares could and did get used in earlier periods, just very rarly.
Saddletank
Reactions:

Post by Saddletank »

Squares were definitely not used as a general tactic in the War of the Spanish Succession. They were extremely rare even in The Seven Years War and I personally have never heard of one being employed on any battlefield though others mention having read of them, but the infantry square for general use seems to have been an invention of the 1790s.

The problem with moving mods like Blenheim to WL means you'll get squares everywhere and the mod would completely lose its flavour.
roy64
Reactions:

Post by roy64 »

Has the Custer mod been released or is it a private mod?
Leicestershire
Gunfreak
Reactions:

Post by Gunfreak »

Squares were definitely not used as a general tactic in the War of the Spanish Succession. They were extremely rare even in The Seven Years War and I personally have never heard of one being employed on any battlefield though others mention having read of them, but the infantry square for general use seems to have been an invention of the 1790s.

The problem with moving mods like Blenheim to WL means you'll get squares everywhere and the mod would completely lose its flavour.
I just a few days read a dutch unit at blendheim tried to form square when charged by cav, and there are instances of actal squares used too. russians formed square in GNW, like at polotova.
The swedes had square formation in their training and doctrine, but never used them as they had other formations that suited their style of fighting.