Detaching and attaching forces

Questions on the new sandbox campaign for Waterloo can go here.
Saddletank
Reactions:

Detaching and attaching forces

Post by Saddletank »

Detaching sub-commands works okay, and you can reattach them back into their original higher formation, but the game won't let you build any other formations. This is quite a limitation especially since the battle generator treats every map formation as though it were alone, even if its stationary holding a town with other friendly formations - the battle calculator offers battle to every formation in turn and only one can ever fight.

With the full French army option I can't even make a second army using the Napoleon (side) commander, he can only ever sit in the chain of command above the Napoleon commander.

This is a weak and unrealistic set-up. Can it be improved please? One of the key features of Napoleon's way of waging war was to be flexible with his army structure and create separate operational forces on the fly.
HITS & Couriers - a different and realistic way to play SoW MP.
pancerni
Reactions:

Re: Detaching and attaching forces

Post by pancerni »

I agree...I was initially excited about the sandbox campaign option but after playing a couple of campaigns I think it needs a lot of work. As you suggest if I have two infantry divisions at the same town and am attacked by the enemy the system selects which division is engaged rather than letting me command both divisions...it's even sillier when I have a cavalry brigade in the same town as an infantry division...cannot attach the cavalry to the infantry.

The other issue I have is that several of the battle appear to start in the line of sight mode rather than attack or defense, which puts me in a situation where I have no idea how my forces are deployed and am immediately under attack. Unrealistic. One useful addition would be to allow players to deploy their forces prior to the start of the battle.

While I'm on a rant let me throw in the problems with the lack of an attack column formation for the French. In order to be historically accurate in 1815 or other years the French and their allies must have the ability to charge in the attack column. That's not to say those columns don't make great targets and against steady infantry the charge will probably breakdown and the unit will deploy into line, but the lack of the attack column is a major shortcoming.
Gran Capitán
Reactions:

Post by Gran Capitán »

About the assault columns you will find them with the KS mod or with the Grog Toolbar.
sifis172
Reactions:

Post by sifis172 »

i hope too, that it will be possible to attach corps, or divisions to your liking.
i played some campaigns, and it becomes very difficult for france.
they are outnumbered two to one, so the tactical map must be very important.
you should try to get numerical advantage topically, as happened in the historic
campaign.
but i have found that while playing with the french, the only way to win
is to play defencivelly, and just bombard the enemy, because even if you play
excellent offensive strategies (which happens very rarely for me :P)
casualties will eventually pille up, and turn the balance for the allies
in the point of no return.

a thing that i humbly propose, is the destruction of an entire corps.
if you win a battle and the ennemy retreats, and falls back in the direction of a corps you have
moved to surround it. you should be able to completelly capture that corps.

1st battle=win
ennemy retreats: falls in to your corp coming from the flank.
2nd battle=win.
ennemy corp destroyed.

another thing that i suppose could better even more the single campaign,
is to have a chance in each battle to make the ennemy stand and fight.
i don't know how this could be done.
maybe if you, or the ennemy has cavalry force, there sould be a chance that a fight is
forced.
maybe even a pop-up message "we/ the ennemy is forced to a battle :evil: "
gazfun202
Reactions:

Post by gazfun202 »

Detaching sub-commands works okay, and you can reattach them back into their original higher formation, but the game won't let you build any other formations. This is quite a limitation especially since the battle generator treats every map formation as though it were alone, even if its stationary holding a town with other friendly formations - the battle calculator offers battle to every formation in turn and only one can ever fight.

With the full French army option I can't even make a second army using the Napoleon (side) commander, he can only ever sit in the chain of command above the Napoleon commander.

This is a weak and unrealistic set-up. Can it be improved please? One of the key features of Napoleon's way of waging war was to be flexible with his army structure and create separate operational forces on the fly.
Yes its a shame you can only have one army Commander. Its a fact that Ney took over one army wing in the Waterloo campaign.
If you can get 2 corps together in a Army, it would make things easier
Last edited by gazfun202 on Sat Sep 19, 2015 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Have fun above all else
gazfun202
Reactions:

Post by gazfun202 »

The other issue is that you also cannot change to oob after each battle. As the casualties climb there is a need to reorganize, and amalgamate battalions that have had numbers reduced. This needs to be looked at
Have fun above all else