KS mod

A new section for modding SOW Waterloo. Ask questions, post tips here.
Mel
Reactions:

Re: KS mod

Post by Mel »

Is this mod only for multyplayer or can I use it as a single player/
Marching Thru Georgia
Reactions:

Post by Marching Thru Georgia »

It is for both single and multi-player.
I can make this march and I will make Georgia howl.
Russkly
Reactions:

Post by Russkly »

It is for both single and multi-player.
But not for the SP scenarios that came pre-packed with the game, right? So, if you play alone, you can only use the KS mod in the sandbox scenarios and campaign, I think.

I tried the mod and found lots of ACW-type marching music with pipes and all - most disconcerting at Waterloo! I think the toolbar was different too, and not in a good way (I use the grog toolbar currently).
Saddletank
Reactions:

Post by Saddletank »

The KS Mod's most current version (v1.11) can almost certainly be used with the stock scenarios because we've now included all the vanilla sprites into it, though because our artillery is much more effective than stock guns, some scenarios may be unbalanced.

None of us in the KS group play the stock scenarios - the mod is principally designed for MP either co-op vs AI or P v P, but I play it a lot in sandbox and in the campaign - using the KS OOBs you can now have Russians, Austrians, Spanish, Portuguese, Bavarians, 1806 Prussians, all kinds of new nationalities in the campaign.

No, there's no ACW marching music in the KS mod. We haven't used ACW marching music ever, at least since the last Couriers and MAPS ACW mod for Gettysburg. We have changed the marching music though, but specific to different countries and different troops, for example Highlanders will play some stirring bagpipe music when they march, British will use the British Grenadiers or the Liburretto when they double-time.

Did you install it correctly?

The toolbar is different because we didn't like the pop-up context menu. We play HITS mode so the pop-up was an unwelcome distraction as it appeared right where you wanted to see the terrain. The pop-up context toolbar is fine for helicopter view players but we don't play from that perspective. We also dislike the floating extra mini toolbar in the Grog mod. Its another inconvenient item you have to get out of the way each time. The KS toolbar uses three contextual "tabs" for infantry, cavalry and artillery units and a fourth for orders, but it isn't ideal. We had to work within the more restrictive and less user-friendly framework of MyGUI for this game which is a step backwards from the elegant simplicity of the interface used in Gettysburg.

Nevertheless the KS toolbar delivers many more options than either the stock toolbar or the Grog mod. If you disable context menus in the options screen and persevere with it, we think you'll get to like it.

We also think the combat is more realistic in the KS mod, with artillery able to dominate the field if placed and supported correctly, as it should. The morale system is also improved and we have used whole skirmish units and got rid of the spawning split-units of skirmishers which are useless and have no effect. Now most brigades will have the second listed unit as a skirmisher unit, representing the converged light companies of the brigade. we feel that one combined skirmisher unit working on behalf of the brigade commander is a more reasonable depiction of Napoleonic skirmisher tactics as well as fitting into the command-control levels of the game better than a host of separate sub-units. Our skirmishers have real punch and harassment effect as well; you can't ignore them and many times we've had really fun mini-battles between the skirmishers of both sides.
HITS & Couriers - a different and realistic way to play SoW MP.
Gran Capitán
Reactions:

Post by Gran Capitán »

I think no mods will work with the stock scenarios, the Grog toolbar will be there but many of the functions won't work, at least it was that way when the game was relesed.

In the KS mod each army from 1806 to 1812 has its own marching music for the period, not ACW type.

There were pipers in all Scottish regiments in the british army, at Waterloo too. :whistle:

The toolbar is different yes. Everything you need to lead your troops.
lordhedgwich
Reactions:

Post by lordhedgwich »

Registered waiting admin approval looking forward to trying this mod B)
Saddletank
Reactions:

Post by Saddletank »

Come and join us in MP. We are doing another mod build test game Wednesday 26th at 20:00 UK time.
mb213
Reactions:

Post by mb213 »

I just downloaded the KS mod and it is fantastic. It really improves game play.
"Riam nar druid ar sbarin lann"
Saddletank
Reactions:

Post by Saddletank »

Thanks. We appreciate the comments.

Artillery becomes king of the battlefield if handled correctly. Setting up a grand battery in that "perfect place" and watching my enemy get pounded is probably my favourite aspect of the KS Mod.

Skirmishers also become a very significant tactical tool. You can understand why they became important in the Napoleonic wars. Skirmishing infantry had been used in earlier wars but they were used quite differently by Napoleon and after a series of defeats his enemies followed his lead in this as well as his many other innovations.
oldSerge
Reactions:

Post by oldSerge »

Gran Captain, thank you for pointing this out.

The links were not clickable for me, and every damn google search led me back to that forum post.

Registering and logging in made the links clickable.