Sprites .PLIST file question

A new section for modding SOW Waterloo. Ask questions, post tips here.
sweeteye
Reactions:

Sprites .PLIST file question

Post by sweeteye »

Thought I might try my hand at making some American Revolution sprites....I am familiar with .DDS files but have never worked with a .PLIST file.....Wondering what program is used to open a PLIST file...??....and perhaps what their purpose is..?? Just a brief explanation would do.....Thanks ......Andrew
26th Ohio Light Artillery
Sons of Union Veterans
RebBugler
Reactions:

Re: Sprites .PLIST file question

Post by RebBugler »

.PLIST is a packing file, nothing to do with sprite creation. If you want to see it open it as a text file.

Here's the guide to give you the lowdown to sprite making:

http://www.madminutegames.com/MadMinute ... php?t=4728

And a head's up, be prepared to invest some big bucks for apps necessary for the cause.

But you asked...
Last edited by RebBugler on Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
sweeteye
Reactions:

Post by sweeteye »

Thanks for the info and link.....was hoping to be able to use free programs like gimp and paint.net....maybe that is not the case though....will be interesting to look into nonetheless....
Sons of Union Veterans
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Yeah, I use Paint.Net for all my graphics work, and it can be used for certain phases of Sprite design in lieu of Photoshop...I think. It's the 3D rendering apps that get costly, with steep learning curves. Exactly the reasons new sprites aren't popping up everywhere.

However, and Tim may confirm, or others, that there are less costly apps available and some with free trials, but obviously with limitations.
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
sweeteye
Reactions:

Post by sweeteye »

It is a very interesting aspect of the games being developed by Norbsoft....I was just looking at some sprite dds files.......much different than what I expected.....I have made some 2D sprites before but never 3D ones....Looks like it is a fairly involved process...may have to stick with map making for now.....
Sons of Union Veterans
gunship24
Reactions:

Post by gunship24 »

All our sprites are created using 3dmodels then each angle and frame are rendered out. This is the most effective way to do it. If all you want to do is edit sprites than you could use photoshop, the work load would be exponential depending on the size of the edit required.
sweeteye
Reactions:

Post by sweeteye »

Yes...I have been thinking about just editing and trying to make Rev War sprites....Does look like it would be difficult and time consuming....Just found out I have glaucoma and really have to ration out my time looking at a computer screen....Might be best for me to just enjoy playing the game a little at a time.
Sons of Union Veterans
tim
Reactions:

Post by tim »

The Plist is the file that tells the game the coordinates of each sprite in the dda files once they have been packed. Its created by the texture packer program we use. https://www.codeandweb.com/texturepacker

You don't have to pack textures but its saves a hell of a lot of memory if you do. The SDK when its released continues a whole section on making sprites but you will need a 3d program that can animate and render out the models you make. I'm now sure which if the cheaper or free programs can do that.

Other that that you can use gimp, photoshop or paint.net to change colours if you want to make more types of Hussars say.
sweeteye
Reactions:

Post by sweeteye »

Thanks tim....I was wondering about the plist files.......I might try using gimp to modify some sprites...see if I can make them look rev war.....which is what I am after...That is if my eyes can hold up.
I have been trying to incorporate the sprites from rebels and redcoats today but so far no luck...just errors.They appear to be set up differently than the sprites from Waterloo....
Sons of Union Veterans
tim
Reactions:

Post by tim »

They are set up slightly differently. No laying down sprite to start and the number of frames of animation will be different but they should work. You'll have to use stand for lay down.