Solferino 1859

A new section for modding SOW Waterloo. Ask questions, post tips here.
Alphonse
Reactions:

Solferino 1859

Post by Alphonse »

I'm very new to the forum & SOW Gettysburg.

Would there be any interest in modding the Battle of Solferino, 1859?

270,000 troops involved, three nations (France, Sardinia vs. Austria) and multiple troop types (zouaves, Imperial Guard, jagers, chasseurs, etc.).

I don't know a thing about modding but have a rather extensive knowledge of the period and armies, especially the French Army. I would be more than willing to assist in any way I can with information or if someone is feeling especially generous and would like to mentor me on modding, I would be very grateful.

Any interest?

Many thanks,

Alphonse
Destraex
Reactions:

Solferino 1859

Post by Destraex »

This is the sow waterloo form. Are you sure you wanted to post here. This waterloo version of sow is a new paid game due in a week or so.
Gunfreak
Reactions:

Solferino 1859

Post by Gunfreak »

The waterloo engine would work much better the the gettysburg engine, so i would say it was posted the right place.
Saddletank
Reactions:

Solferino 1859

Post by Saddletank »

We need a Waterloo Mods area already!

If the packing of the sprites is the same and they can be ported over to the new game then we already have French and Sardinian/Italian sprites for the mid 1850s in Pom's Crimea mod. We'd just need Austrians.
HITS & Couriers - a different and realistic way to play SoW MP.
Alphonse
Reactions:

Solferino 1859

Post by Alphonse »

Actually, the Crimean would be right on the money. I'm not able to find the Crimean mod, is there a link to it?

With the new Waterloo game, if not already in the Crimean mod, the Imperial Guard Grenadiers would work perfect for Crimea or Solferino. The musket range might need to be increased as they were armed with rifle muskets. Many of the cavalry could probably transferred over and maybe tweaked a bit.

The Austrians would be fairly easy to mod. Double breasted white tunic for the Line, brown for the Grenzers and gray for jagers. Brown for artillery and again many of the Waterloo hussars I'm sure would work for Austrians with some tweaks. Most of the troops did wear shakos no matter what branch.
Alphonse
Reactions:

Solferino 1859

Post by Alphonse »

I've found the Crimean mod and I've downloaded it. Again, I'm new to this, how do I make it run so I can play it?
Alphonse
Reactions:

Solferino 1859

Post by Alphonse »

Got it working and it's truly outstanding!

Monsieur Pom, my kepi is off to you. I don't know if you would consider the Solferino mod but I'd be happy to help in any way that I can. You are truly a mod artist.
con20or
Reactions:

Solferino 1859

Post by con20or »

We need a Waterloo Mods area already!
Done.
Dhoondiah Waugh
Reactions:

Re: Solferino 1859

Post by Dhoondiah Waugh »

Did you ever play the Solferino mod for the other Gettysburg game? The old Sid Meier's version? From what I remember it was quite good. i think it is still floating around on the web somewhere if you are interested.
Alphonse
Reactions:

Re: Solferino 1859

Post by Alphonse »

I've never tried it. I may have to give it a look.

I find the campaigns and battles of the Second Empire fascinating. French soldiers fought and died in North America, Africa, Europe and Asia. I'd love to see more mods of the period and I think one on the Mexican Campaign, 1862 - 1867 would be very interesting. Of course, Solferino would be great as well!