Steam info please!

Let's talk about the issues in converting the SOW engine to handle Waterloo. Ideas, suggestions, feature requests, comments.
Gunfreak
Reactions:

Steam info please!

Post by Gunfreak »

Still no word on steam, it's conciderd the death of any pc only game to not be on steam, beeing on steam gives you hundreds or even thousands of "free" sales. They simply browse steam, and oh that looks cool and buy it, if it's not on steam they will never hear or see anything about the game.

The second category are those that want to buy the game, but refuse to buy any game not avalable on steam.

The game is comming out in 13 days, if you are going to release it on steam, make the store page NOW so it's for atleast a week before it goes on sale.

Also this would be a great time to release the old Scourge of war titles on steam, Make a store page, release SOW:G and the expantion packs, they are all great games, that the VAST majority of gamers have not heard about.

Slitherine/Matrix have other games on steam, so it's not like they have a non steam policy.
Destraex
Reactions:

Re: Steam info please!

Post by Destraex »

I would also much prefer steam.
kg_sspoom
Reactions:

Post by kg_sspoom »

I do not believe it will be released on steam for a while, I'm pretty sure it will be matrix only for a spell.
Last edited by kg_sspoom on Sun May 31, 2015 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Destraex
Reactions:

Post by Destraex »

If that is the case it may be better to wait for both steam, realism mods and unfinished features to be added. Such as the cavalry features not in this version mitre was talking about.
the reb
Reactions:

Post by the reb »

What is steam?
Destraex
Reactions:

Post by Destraex »

Steam is a games client that auto updates your games and contains all your friends.
it is the primary way for pc gamers to come together, create groups and clubs and makes it easy to join each others games, buy and gift games to each other and shows everybody what you are playing when you are in game. I often get messages on steam from friends who see me playing a game and want to join or talk to ne about the game.
I often see steam popup telling me a friend is playing x game and i simply click on the drop down to watch his game or go to the store page to find out about it. You don't have to buy steam games on steam either. Often a local store will sell you a steam game and just give you the steam serial key to punch into steam.
Steam has 99.9% of games today in its catalogue. Its the google or Facebook of the gaming world.
The other huge advantage is that you cab backup, redownload or reinstall games any time you like unlimited times. So no finding discs or patches. Its all automatic. No worrying your friend has different files or versions when playing multiplayer. So convienient.

il2 bos recently moved to steam and annoyed all of the pre-order guys who would have wanted steam instead of dodgy third party download or client installs. It has to be something rather special to get me to pollute my pc with yet another game client. Il2 bos evevtually allowed all their pre order customers to convert to steam.
Last edited by Destraex on Sun May 31, 2015 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Saddletank
Reactions:

Post by Saddletank »

I have used steam in the past for some games but don't now. Seeing as this game's value is in community mods, steam would not help us for that.

Just like Facebook and Google are very popular but have people who dislike or avoid them, there are gamers who don't use steam.

If a steam release is there for those who want it that would be great, but the game shouldn't be available ONLY via steam.
HITS & Couriers - a different and realistic way to play SoW MP.
Gunfreak
Reactions:

Post by Gunfreak »

I have used steam in the past for some games but don't now. Seeing as this game's value is in community mods, steam would not help us for that.

Just like Facebook and Google are very popular but have people who dislike or avoid them, there are gamers who don't use steam.

If a steam release is there for those who want it that would be great, but the game shouldn't be available ONLY via steam.
Nobody said steam only.

And yes, steam now has workshop, modders upload their mods to steam, you just click one button and the mod is downloaded and installed right away not only that, but any update to the mod is automatically downloaded and installed. So i would say steam would be great help to this game.
Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Please, no Steam! :sick:

In the unlucky case the Waterloo game development will be abandonded in the future, we can at least do some exe-patching (perhaps).

Bypassing the control threads of Steam is just an insane amount of work.
Destraex
Reactions:

Post by Destraex »

Steam does not stop community patches. When it was new and nobody knew what they were doing and steam was a little more primitive sure. Things change and the PC community has moved on. Take total war mods for example.