Released: A Savage and Romantic War - The First Carlist War

This is where our experts try to teach you the very flexible modding system for our previous release - SOW Gettysburg and its add-ons. It's powerful, but dangerous. Post your tips and your questions.
Crikey
Reactions:

Released: A Savage and Romantic War - The First Carlist War

Post by Crikey »

Carlist War Mod Download - https://www.dropbox.com/s/aqf719plmyyrd ... al.7z?dl=0

Montagna Sagrada Map Download - https://www.dropbox.com/s/yq1zv8hxibk85 ... al.7z?dl=0

Rio Espanol Map Download - https://www.dropbox.com/s/8gacwtq7ejc57 ... al.7z?dl=0

Credits - Pom, John Bonin, Martin James, MTG, the Kriegspielers, alessillo, Gunship24, Zeke.

Background - A Savage and Romantic War: The First Carlist War

This mod introduces Spanish Cristino, Carlist and foreign forces. It uses some modded csv files provided by the Napoleonic Road to Wagram & Kriegspiel mods.

THIS IS A STAND-ALONE MOD. YOU DO NOT NEED THE NAPOLEONIC MODS INSTALLED OR ACTIVATED. ALL THE FILES NEEDED ARE INCLUDED IN THIS MOD.

It should not be used with other mods, such as Wagram, that amend the key csv files.

To activate the mod click on its name in the mod screen (i.e. so a yellow block appears next to it). Ditto the two new maps.

This mod used SR1 OOBs. You need to amend the sprite ratio in the main options screen to 1:1. Due to this, larger maps work best. You may wish to choose a lower ratio if this is easier on your machine. Uniforms should be set to best in the options menu.

This mod includes
1. New uniforms by Pom.
2. New flags
3. New screens
4. SR1 OOBs (e.g. OOB_SB_CW_Asarta_SR1).
5. New sounds and music.
6. New portraits

Last edited by Crikey on Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
con20or
Reactions:

Re: Released: A Savage and Romantic War - The First Carlist War

Post by con20or »

Looks good!
Grog
Reactions:

Post by Grog »

Thanks Crikey, very nice.

Is there any reason that you have kept the mod's component folders seperate, within the downloads?

For those who struggle with mod construction, perhaps have the files already in a single named mod folder or at least give some instructions on creating it.

The Iberian maps are much appreciated :)
Crikey
Reactions:

Post by Crikey »

Thanks, Grog - I've kept the maps as separate, stand-alone mods because people may want to play them without the Carlist Mod being engaged - i.e. Nap battles.

In terms of the Carlist Mod itself, I like to keep the sub-folder structure similar to the original game as it helps me with house-keeping when developing the mod.

If you unzip the mod to your desk-top it should just be a matter of copying and pasting the main folder across to your SoW mods folder and activating as you would any other mod. No need to delve into the sub-folders.

That said, I don't have later versions of windows which may do odd things when it comes to file management. ;)

I hope you enjoy it.
Last edited by Crikey on Sun May 24, 2015 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grog
Reactions:

Post by Grog »

Thanks Crikey

Perhaps its just me but when I use 7zip to extract the downloaded files, instead of there being a single mod folder (which I would expect to be called something like 'The First Carlist War Mod') ready to copy into the game's mod directory, there are instead the 7 component mod folders:Graphics,Logistics,Music,OOB's,Sandbox,Sounds,Text.

Being a modder myself, it didn't take me long to realise that I had to create a new folder and rename it 'The First Carlist War Mod' and extract these files into it, before copying it into my SOW mod folder.

Keeping the maps seperate was a good move(thanks :) ) but again, for those who want to play the mod 'stand alone' there is not a Maps folder already in it and by not including the maps I think some 'non-modders' might struggle.

Again, perhaps its just me doing something wrong or underestimating the gaming community's computer skills but if you have not already done this, I think it would be more user friendly to package them up into a single mod folder and have the seperate maps also packaged up in their own individual named mods folders.

Thanks again, Crikey and well done :)
Crikey
Reactions:

Post by Crikey »

Hi Grog

In 7zip I believe you have 3 extraction options - extract files, extract here and extract to (First Carlist War Final folder). Use the extract to option as this creates the main folder for you.

I use this option so assumed others did.

Wrong! :laugh:

:)
Last edited by Crikey on Sun May 24, 2015 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Saddletank
Reactions:

Post by Saddletank »

Crikey, it is always best to assume people don't know what they are doing and don't do anything the way you do. Every mod in the game has to reside in a top folder called "MyMod". Reissuing this mod inside that one main folder and including a maps folder with the maps in it would be by far the most logical and easy thing to do.

Right now, as it stands, to people new to adding mods, they just won't get this one to work.
HITS & Couriers - a different and realistic way to play SoW MP.
Crikey
Reactions:

Post by Crikey »

Tank

I think people will be able to figure it out now.

The read me covers activation.

B)
Last edited by Crikey on Sun May 24, 2015 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grog
Reactions:

Post by Grog »

Thanks Crikey

I didn't know you could do that with 7zip.
Rommel76
Reactions:

Post by Rommel76 »

Thank you for your work!, it's great :woohoo: