Waterloo - Civil War Interface?

A new scenario/battle editor is in development and should be following hot on the heels of Waterloo - any questions can go here.
the reb
Reactions:

Post by the reb »

I need to refresh my memory.....Sometime ago, I believe I understood that Waterloo would have a much more intuitive scenario generator than presently offered. Is this correct,and if so, will the generator interface with present Civil War maps and OOB's?

la reb....
con20or
Reactions:

Post by con20or »

There will be a scenario editor - but it will probably be held up until the first patch and be released with other tools. It was designed to be backwards compatible, but later iterations and changes for waterloo may not allow that. We'll need to test it more.
MarshalJean
Reactions:

Post by MarshalJean »

Quick question on the scenario/battle editor...

This might be a stupid question, but I don't own any SOW titles, only Histwar: Napoleon.

Will the player be confined to creating scenarios/battles in the 1815/Waterloo campaign time frame? Meaning, will the player only be able to create maps, scenarios, battles, involving an 1815 OoB for France and the 7th Coalition, or will other years and countries (like Austria, Russia, Prussia) from the Napoleonic period be available for scenario development?

Thanks ahead of time!

MJ
Gunfreak
Reactions:

Post by Gunfreak »

I think I can answer for the the devs:

In the first release, only Prussa, France and Anglo Allies form 1815 will be avalable.
Saddletank
Reactions:

Post by Saddletank »

MarshalJean - for the moment the original ACW Gettysburg game has got a full mod to convert it to Napoleonic. It has its limitations (squares, some mounted cavalry behaviours) but as a basic game it works well and every nationality is covered except Sweden, Denmark and some of the smaller German states. Its available in the mods forum.

I am hopeful NSD releases further Napoleonic battle packs that will cover Austria and Russia. Spain and Portugal would be nice to have as well.
HITS & Couriers - a different and realistic way to play SoW MP.
Gunfreak
Reactions:

Post by Gunfreak »

I personaly hope Leipzig, YES IT'S A HUGE project.

But the Prussians are mostly there, only a few uniforms changed for 1813 to 1815 for them. Depending on the detail of the sprites the french would also stay much the same, some new uniqe units would have to be made(like the marine/artillery battalions that fought at Möckern)

The big thing, other then maps(I assume those are equaly time consuming no mater what new battle they tackle)
Is you need Russians, Austrians, Swedes, Spanish, Lots of germans, Poles!!! Dutch ect. It was the battle of nations after all.

The good news is if they ever make more expantions, they russians can be used for 1812, and 1814, austrians can be used for 1809 and 1814, poles 1812 and 1814 ect. So most stuff will be done for many other wars.
MarshalJean
Reactions:

Post by MarshalJean »

Excellent. Thanks, guys, for your replies. I also hope for some expansion packs so that we can create battles and scenarios from throughout the Napoleonic Wars. Waterloo is great, but I personally like Austerlitz, Borodino, Leipzig, and many others, as well.

I also currently use HistWar: Napoleon as a third-party system to determine Napoleonic board game engagements(like Empires in Arms or Age of Napoleon), and then transfer the results back to the board. So, my real evil plot is to see if SOW: Waterloo and additional expansions might make SoW my new battle generator of choice for this system. But until it incorporates nations, OoBs, leaders, etc, from the entire period, then it won't work for this, even though it will certainly be a great game in its own right.

Thanks again!
the reb
Reactions:

Post by the reb »

Thank you all....I guess it's time to broaden my horizons and educate myself on this time and place in history....and have fun!!!!
Last edited by the reb on Fri May 08, 2015 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: spelling
gazfun202
Reactions:

Re: Waterloo - Civil War Interface?

Post by gazfun202 »

Excellent. Thanks, guys, for your replies. I also hope for some expansion packs so that we can create battles and scenarios from throughout the Napoleonic Wars. Waterloo is great, but I personally like Austerlitz, Borodino, Leipzig, and many others, as well.

I also currently use HistWar: Napoleon as a third-party system to determine Napoleonic board game engagements(like Empires in Arms or Age of Napoleon), and then transfer the results back to the board. So, my real evil plot is to see if SOW: Waterloo and additional expansions might make SoW my new battle generator of choice for this system. But until it incorporates nations, OoBs, leaders, etc, from the entire period, then it won't work for this, even though it will certainly be a great game in its own right.

Thanks again!
Hi MarshalJean
We dont use Empires in Arms with Histwar anymore (we use our ATG Nap Mod) because there is not enough CEH to make a Histwar Army from EiA. With SOW I gather it will be in time better for Campaign purposes. See because the main problem with Histwar is the scaling up and down from EiA to Histwar and back again. SOW operational activities will cover a region like an EiA region or province better.
And of course to operational aspects of SOW Sandbox Campaign from Campaign to battlefield and back again is better, it does all the calculations.
Its about time Gamers start backing developers who can give us the entire package not just some of it. And the support and the number of people supporting this game will have a better impact for us all.
Getting different uniforms for the battle you mention is only a matter of sprites, maps and OOBs
Last edited by gazfun202 on Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Have fun above all else
MarshalJean
Reactions:

Re: Waterloo - Civil War Interface?

Post by MarshalJean »

Thanks again!
Hi MarshalJean
We dont use Empires in Arms with Histwar anymore (we use our ATG Nap Mod) because there is not enough CEH to make a Histwar Army from EiA. With SOW I gather it will be in time better for Campaign purposes. See because the main problem with Histwar is the scaling up and down from EiA to Histwar and back again. SOW operational activities will cover a region like an EiA region or province better.
And of course to operational aspects of SOW Sandbox Campaign from Campaign to battlefield and back again is better, it does all the calculations.
Its about time Gamers start backing developers who can give us the entire package not just some of it. And the support and the number of people supporting this game will have a better impact for us all.
Getting different uniforms for the battle you mention is only a matter of sprites, maps and OOBs
Hi, gazfun.

Good to know about ATG, and especially that you are using SOW: Waterloo. I don't own SOW, but from what I gather, it doesn't seem like it is better than Histwar yet for my purposes...primarily because I can't easily create an OoB (even with the KS mod), utilizing any regiment from the major (and a lot of minor) powers of the 1805-15 period, which I can do with Histwar. Now, I have to admit that the graphics are wonderful with SOW and the tactics of the Napoleonic Wars seem to be used very historically. But until a system comes along that will enable me to create such versatile OoBs and maps as quickly and easily as Histwar, then it isn't a better system, yet.

However, I may still be ignorant of SOW's capabilities. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks!

MJ