How does the NSD team decide commander statistics?

This is where our experts try to teach you the very flexible modding system for our previous release - SOW Gettysburg and its add-ons. It's powerful, but dangerous. Post your tips and your questions.
SiliconMagician
Reactions:

How does the NSD team decide commander statistics?

Post by SiliconMagician »

Okay, so I been playing some of these converted Shiloh OOB's and there are several discrepancies. Using Garnier OOB tool I went to move a few things, change a few commanders around but found that the commanders are pretty generic numbers wise.

I know this a subjective things, but since the NSD team knows it's engine better than anyone. Can I get a hint about how the team decided the various stats of the commanders? Maybe something on how these stats effect things. I want to make the make the commanders more unique but I need an idea of a baseline to go from.
Last edited by SiliconMagician on Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Little Powell
Reactions:

Re: How does the NSD team decide commander statistics?

Post by Little Powell »

Jim could probably provide a much better answer than I can, but there is a formula we use that factors in the commanders personality, education, years in service, and battles fought in. A similar formula is used for the regimental ratings, factoring in the regiment's Colonel's experience, education, etc. Jim or Larry would have to provide the exact formula, but that's the basic gist of it.
SiliconMagician
Reactions:

Post by SiliconMagician »

It's not a trade secret is it?
Jim
Reactions:

Post by Jim »

It is a lot of very detailed historical research. Some harder numbers like time in grade, time between promotions and number of battles with significant involvement. Others are more subjective like how the officer was regarded by his peers and how serious historians have considered his performances as a commander in battle. All of this goes into a spreadsheet which gives us a base number. These may or may not be further tweaked as testing of the game progresses.

-Jim
"My God, if we've not got a cool brain and a big one too, to manage this affair, the nation is ruined forever." Unknown private, 14th Vermont, 2 July 1863