Some questions and Come on you Wolverines cavalry scenario

Stuck in a part of the game. Here's where the Grogs help the Newbies. Share your best strategies for winning and try someone elses.
Stellar Duck
Reactions:

Re: Some questions and Come on you Wolverines cavalry scenario

Post by Stellar Duck »

Yea, hooked. Though my next attempt was as feeble as ever.

I really think there is something I fundamentally don't understand about cav.

I lose hundreds and hundreds of men that get captured again and again. I've tried standing my ground, charging right back at them and anything in between and I end up seeing that damned white flag all the time. I tried charging another regiment into the fray but they generally just stand there and don't get involved. I don't even know what I did different that time. I'm just bleeding men it seems. Doesn't seem to matter much if I use veterans or not. They just get captured and I'm out yet more men.

The key seems to be to take them on before they get close but that's hard when all my men just fold. :)

Just as an example: everything was going decently. The rebs launch the second attack and I generally hold it an move Custer in to support. After losing 67 men he gets captured. How do I avoid that?
Last edited by Stellar Duck on Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Snatching Defeat from the jaws of Victory since 1982
born2see
Reactions:

Post by born2see »

What you don't realize is that the nefarious designer of this scenario built in a random modifier in the code which only allows you to come close to a MV every 7 or 8 tries. Just enough to keep you playing but never enough to get you over the hump.

There's only one man that's ever beaten it. His name is JC Edwards. Some say he doesn't really exist, that he's only an urban legend, but I know differently. Sometimes, late at night, he surfaces to post his monumental scores and laugh at us poor mortal's feeble attempts at victory, only to fade back into the shadows once again.

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

B
Last edited by born2see on Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Those in whose judgment I rely, tell me that I fought the battle splendidly and that it was a masterpiece of art.” - George McClellan to his wife describing the battle of Antietam
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Well, I can't comment on the Sarge lore, but the "variants" part is not the scheme here. I just made it tough to make folks EARN this Yank scenario win. And, I really didn't have to work that hard at making it tough since the Rebs outnumbered the Yanks nearly 2 to 1. I could have made it more historical and then easy to win by making the Reb Cavalry totally Exhausted (many days of hard riding preceded this battle), but what fun would that be.
So, beat 'em, Sarge and I did, and we're Rebs. :woohoo:
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
JC Edwards
Reactions:

Post by JC Edwards »

My goodness - really?

Wolverines?!

............ more like SARDINES lead by a blond pretty boy!

The Mad One
Last edited by JC Edwards on Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'The path that is not seen, nor hidden, should always be flanked'
JC Edwards
Reactions:

Post by JC Edwards »

Pfffft - the only thing you've beat is about half a dozen eggs!

Sarge
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

My goodness - really?

Wolverines?!

............ more like SARDINES lead by a blond pretty boy!

The Mad One
:laugh:
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Pfffft - the only thing you've beat is about half a dozen eggs!

Sarge
Them's Fightin' Words!!! :angry: :P
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
JC Edwards
Reactions:

Post by JC Edwards »

Stellar Duck

Haven't run this scenario in quite some time - but I'll have a look later after I get home from work and see if I can remember what I did. My HS at last play was 3800+ .

Will let you know.

The Mad One
Stellar Duck
Reactions:

Post by Stellar Duck »

Just checking back it to say that I'm still in the process of cracking this one. :)

Thank you all for your replies and indeed the banter that keeps up my spirits.

To distract myself I've played some Antietam scenarios in between and it's nice to be back commanding infantry. I think the lesson for me to learn is that were I alive back then I should be in the infantry. I grasp that. It makes sense. Cavalry, not so much. :)

But then, I've always been an infantry guy, both when I was in the army and in most games I've played, from the first Rome Total War over Empire and Nappy and now this.

Edit: oh god. 2931 points. So close! At least I got plenty of saves in that fight so I can go back to my rather fortuitous position around the 8 min mark and go from there.
Last edited by Stellar Duck on Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stellar Duck
Reactions:

Post by Stellar Duck »

Did it!

Got 3252 on this run. It was a super close run thing and I balk at the casualties. But I did it!

I'm not entirely sure what I did differently but I managed to avoid getting any units captured and I generally won the cavalry engagements and made liberal use of canister which saw many a rebel scamper to the rear.

Edit: and again, thank you to all of your for the help and encouragement. This is a really nice community!

Last edited by Stellar Duck on Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.