Command Range

Let's talk about Gettysburg! Put your questions and comments here.
BOSTON
Reactions:

Command Range

Post by BOSTON »

NSD

Would it be possible to install a Command Range overlay button? Such as when putting the curser on a leader, clicking or pressing a "Command Range Button", which would highlight an area to that leaders' ability (elite,vet,good ect.).

Hoistinman4
Last edited by BOSTON on Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HOISTINGMAN4

Drafted in Boston
estabu2
Reactions:

Re:Command Range

Post by estabu2 »

Good idea, I am in the process of working on the "command range" and we still have alot of work to do in that department. I will see what I can do.
"It is strange, to have a shell come so near you...you can feel the wind."
Jim
Reactions:

Post by Jim »

Units getting a morale bonus from the commander show a specific graphic above the flag, similar in principle to what was done in TC2M.

If you mean something else by command range, please explain your concept in more detail.

-Jim
"My God, if we've not got a cool brain and a big one too, to manage this affair, the nation is ruined forever." Unknown private, 14th Vermont, 2 July 1863
Hancock the Superb
Reactions:

Post by Hancock the Superb »

It is hard to go around and see which units are within the range. And if you have multiple leaders, then twice the difficulty.
Hancock the Superb
BOSTON
Reactions:

Post by BOSTON »

Jim wrote:
Units getting a morale bonus from the commander show a specific graphic above the flag, similar in principle to what was done in TC2M.

If you mean something else by command range, please explain your concept in more detail.

-Jim
A visable ring or transparent circle (zone) highlighting going 360 degrees around a chosen leader showing that leader's command range according to their individual quality. The leader of elite (300yds) qaulity having a greater command range as opposed to a leader of mediocre (100yds) quality. The leader of a divison, corp, army, any leader of that would enable units to rally, and or fight longer.

In TC2M there is an invisable zone in which units have to be in in order to receive leader bonuses. Yes, the units flag gets a bright hallo (green mark when div) when in it's leaders command zone. However, if they are not receiving that bonus how far do they have to go to get that bonus or how far does a leader have to move to give the bonus to units without having either one travel any farther than they have to? Especially when a unit is exhausted and morale is down.

The idea behind highlighting is a quick way of referencing who needs help and to how to better manage the game. It's 2am I'm calling it a night.

Hoistingman4
HOISTINGMAN4

Drafted in Boston
dale
Reactions:

Post by dale »

Command range is an issue altogether.

Instead of a bonus I think that being within a commander's range should affect:
1. Morale
2. Initiative of the unit and the rate of speed that a unit takes to change formations
3. Movement range
4. Rallying
5. The distance of retreat due to rout
6. The ability to withdraw while facing the enemy. Only well trained and well lead units could perform this while under fire.

Regimental commanders should have the greatest influence on the regiment. Brigade commanders should have less influence and so on up the chain of command. Veteran regiments should have a higher level replacement commander relative to newer regiments.

Artillery batteries should operate much more independently than infantry units in terms of leadership affects.
BOSTON
Reactions:

Post by BOSTON »

dale wrote:
[quote]Command range is an issue altogether.

Instead of a bonus I think that being within a commander's range should affect:
1. Morale
2. Initiative of the unit and the rate of speed that a unit takes to change formations
3. Movement range
4. Rallying
5. The distance of retreat due to rout
6. The ability to withdraw while facing the enemy. Only well trained and well lead units could perform this while under fire.

Regimental commanders should have the greatest influence on the regiment. Brigade commanders should have less influence and so on up the chain of command. Veteran regiments should have a higher level replacement commander relative to newer regiments.

Dale

You are absolutely right and there is more to add to the subject. I could'nt finish my piece last night for I was plain wore out and didn't go into as much detail as I could of, but enough for anybody to think about.

Often you see a unit with a leader bonus icon, but which leader is that icon representing? Which leader would be the most benifical to a given unit (Reg. as you point out)? Certainly a unit would benifit even more with upper echelon leaders within reach. Now how do you do that without confusion as to who is covering what?
Yes, there are ways to do that in the old game, but could get time consuming to get organized, especially after a hard fought battle (or during) Units could end up all over the map from the same regiment let's say. Keep in mind that the scenario is not over.

Hoistingman4

Artillery batteries should operate much more independently than infantry units in terms of leadership affects.[/quote

What about the affect of an art. leader on a protecting infantry/cav of a battery?
Last edited by BOSTON on Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HOISTINGMAN4

Drafted in Boston
Hancock the Superb
Reactions:

Post by Hancock the Superb »

Generally, a brigade, division, or corps officer would be nowhere near the front. Occasionally you would see a brigade officer near the front, but standard rules were:

"Every officer should be 300 yards to the rear of the firing line." (West Point rules).

However, this good commanders wouldn't do this, but these folks were more concerned about their lives than rallying their regiments on the firing line. The would direct where their troops should go, give out the instructions, then have a hands off approach that just let the regimental officers decide what to do. This is what the regimental officers were designed to do. There was no need for a brigade officer to direct what individual men were supposed to do and rally them on the firing line. They would, however, rally the men if they had retreated.
Hancock the Superb
Gfran64
Reactions:

Post by Gfran64 »

Hey Hancock,

Those might have been the rules, but judging by the number of Generals killed or wounded at Gettysburg,I would surmise that they were quite a bit closer.

Just off the top of my head Union: Reynolds, Hancock, Sickles, Weed, Farnsworth and Vincent.
Confederate: Barksdale, Hood, Armistead, Semmes and Pender and, given an hour to check some facts, I could make this list longer.

Regards,

GregB)
Last edited by Gfran64 on Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Amish John
Reactions:

Post by Amish John »

I wonder how many brigade commanders were wounded or killed at GB?
You can get farther with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone.