SOW-Gettysburg runs sluggish

Let's talk about Gettysburg! Put your questions and comments here.
stever85
Reactions:

SOW-Gettysburg runs sluggish

Post by stever85 »

Ever since I bought my new Gateway SX110G computer, it runs very sluggish when playing SOW-Gettysburg 1.61 version. It’s a quad core computer running Windows 8.1 at 64 bit using an Nvidia GeForce GT630 graphics card which should work good with this card. Can anyone tell me why this computer runs so slow?
I tried adding an exclusion to my antivirus and malware program which help but just a little, it still run slow and becomes uncontrollable if I speed the game up a bit using the + symbol.
I eventually upgraded my old Dell D620 Windows XP laptop to windows 7 and loaded SOW-Gettysburg 1.61 version, and after resetting the antivirus exclusion for the program, it is running pretty good. So why does the newer computer run so slow? Help please!!!!!
Last edited by stever85 on Wed May 07, 2014 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Garnier
Reactions:

Re: SOW-Gettysburg runs sluggish

Post by Garnier »

The SX110G has a very slow processor. I would expect SOW to run slow on it. It has four cores, but all of them are very slow, and SOW only uses one of them. (Even if it did use all four, it's still a slow processor for running games.)

I don't know what you refer to with "G620", but it appears to be faster.

Edit: The D620 laptop can come with different processors, but the best one is about four times as fast as the SX110G per-core.
Last edited by Garnier on Wed May 07, 2014 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Play Scourge of War Multiplayer! www.sowmp.com
Also try the singleplayer carryover campaign
Chromey
Reactions:

Post by Chromey »

bad news is that its slow as a 2001 pc. good news is that its a desktop so you could easily over lock it to 2 ghz with stock cooling probobly. And if you get a better cooler you could get it to 2.4 ghz which is close to modern day gaming speeds! :lol:
Garnier
Reactions:

Post by Garnier »

No Chromey, even if you overclock these cpus they won't get anywhere near as fast as post-2010 cpus. The number of ghz is only directly related to performance when comparing two processors of the same type.
Play Scourge of War Multiplayer! www.sowmp.com
Also try the singleplayer carryover campaign
Chromey
Reactions:

Post by Chromey »

yeah but I mean.. SOW says it only need 1.5 ghz Dual core processor minumum to run and he has that but

if he overclocks it WILL run better! :silly:

As for graphics ( cuz u need processor power and graphics power to run games ) you can see he has NVIDIA

gt630 video card that has 1 gig of ram and the game requires only 256mb so he is good in that department.

If he overclocks his pc he will be fine to play that game hardware wise. I used a software program to do it

for myself. It was instant jump from 2.8 to 3.4ghz and that helps me run some games better then I could

before.