Ultimate General: Gettysburg.

We're gamers, so here is a good place to discuss other games you are playing or are curious about.
jennison
Reactions:

Re: Ultimate General: Gettysburg.

Post by jennison »

Ultimate general is a fun little game. It's pretty much an incredibly visually pleasing Sid Meier's Gettsyburg, but with fewer features. I can see how it's really catered towards tablets, and the movement system (with the click and drag arrows) would work perfectly on touch screen.

If you're looking for a simple, quick fix, arcade style, real time tactical combat game, it's great... Anyone can jump in and start shooting Billy Yanks or Johnny Rebs.. But if you want the depth and features of a game like SOWGB, you'll be very underwhelmed.
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

How about a SOW mod that would keep individual regiments and guns but the player would be restricted to only give commands at brigade level and above?

I know you can already play this way, but every time I try it I find myself back in micromanaging.
In Kriegsspiel games, we sometimes had the rule that you were only allowed to micromanage units, when you were standing close to them.
This is already possible for SP play via scenario scripting with the 'lock' command. Hopefully I didn't come across as a wiseguy, just relaying info that others might not know.
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
Flanyboy
Reactions:

Post by Flanyboy »

I enjoy it a lot but its definitely a beer and pretzels game.

mitra76
Reactions:

Post by mitra76 »

Well, the declared objective was to create a more "intelligent" version of TW, which Darth modded for years, before the CA decided to "close the door" because the DLCs have to be sold. Sure the game is not in the same class of SOW, but I think the aimed objective wasn't this class of games.

I don't play a TW game since more a year but lately every match also in multiplayer doesn't last for much more of 30 minutes, so I don't think they can be considered more complex (at contrary), only more expensives.
Visit my wargames blog: http://warforgame.blogspot.it/
con20or
Reactions:

Post by con20or »

SOW has tainted my enjoyment of it in other ways too.

All the times I played Scenario 2 of SOWGB I never got the Pettigrew and Trimble variant. So the othe rnight I played almost an entire battle in UG:G before noticing P&G were waiting in the West of the map for me to use them :)
IronBMike
Reactions:

Post by IronBMike »

I don't see the point in playing it over SMG/SMA besides the prettier graphics.
CWGII -> SMG -> SMA -> WNLB -> ANGV -> TC -> TC2M -> SOW
Stellar Duck
Reactions:

Post by Stellar Duck »

I don't see the point in playing it over SMG/SMA besides the prettier graphics.
Well, it's less of a commitment, I suppose.

It's an interesting enough game but I'm afraid, like others, that SoW has kinda made it not for me.

I've played the campaign 5 times, all on the hardest difficulties as both CSA and Union and won every campaign handily. Of the 30ish battles that was comprised of I lost 3. Two minor defeats defending the north of Gettysburg on Day 1 and one Crushing Defeat doing the same. As union I start out getting an Epic Victory on the MacMap, taking the CSA objective behind them and fending off the assault. If I then move on to defend the north of the town I lose. Every other battle I win, but the north one simply has me too outnumbered. On the occasion of the crushing defeat I was almost fighting at a 2:1 ratio. So I lost. I managed to pull it back on the next one though and ended up winning as the Union in an overall victory. That was the closest I've been to overall defeat.

I do like the structure of the campaign though and how it alternates depending on your performance. Reminds me of Sid Meiers old Gettysburg game. And I think that may be the closest game to compare to. Though SMG was more granular than UG:G.
Snatching Defeat from the jaws of Victory since 1982
Michael Slaunwhite
Reactions:

Post by Michael Slaunwhite »

This game is getting some good reviews. Here is a link for those who wish to read one persons impressions of the game.

The WarGamer: http://www.wargamer.com/article/3619/fi ... gettysburg

I do like the graphics, but as far as the A.I is concerned I am lurking on the fringes, and keeping a close eyeball.

Playing SOWgb has made me expect solid A.I from any strategy game that comes along out there. I'm always comparing, and thanks dev's for ruining it for me, no game yet has come even close to your A.I.

Until then I am holding onto my money bag as long as the wife doesn't find it first, then all bets are off.
Last edited by Michael Slaunwhite on Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
born2see
Reactions:

Post by born2see »

Has that reviewer ever played SOWGB???

B
"Those in whose judgment I rely, tell me that I fought the battle splendidly and that it was a masterpiece of art.” - George McClellan to his wife describing the battle of Antietam
Michael Slaunwhite
Reactions:

Post by Michael Slaunwhite »

Has that reviewer ever played SOWGB???

B
From what he has written I would say no he hasn't. If he did he wouldn't be saying that it is the best Civilwar Command Simulation he has ever played.

I should subscribe, and post a comment asking just that.

-- EDIT --

Hmmm, no way to leave feedback on the article.

-- 2nd EDIT --

I just posted a reply to his review on their forums asking that he give SOWgb a try.

If you wish to leave your own comment, visit this link to the thread: http://www.wargamer.com/forums/posts.as ... g=1#649158

Later there you rock simulator lovers out there.
Last edited by Michael Slaunwhite on Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.