Suggestions

Let's talk about the issues in converting the SOW engine to handle Waterloo. Ideas, suggestions, feature requests, comments.
Saddletank
Reactions:

Re: Suggestions

Post by Saddletank »

You could probably make volley fire limited to only line formation. That way skirmishers, defenders of buildings and squares would conduct individual fire. What firing could be done by the heads of columns would be individual firing as well.

You then make the line formation volley fire toggle-able as well, so an ACW mod will work.

Volley firing should be generally slower than individual firing but it would have a greater morale/shock effect possibly.
HITS & Couriers - a different and realistic way to play SoW MP.
ferragus
Reactions:

Post by ferragus »

I thinks all formations could use volley fire, (specially squares) even on buildings!
What happened on most cases is that they started with volley fire and then degraded to fire at will.

I would say the best choice is to have a button on the menu to toggle volley fire, each time it would be pressed, the battalion would halt until able to release one single volley, then pass on to fire at will. Thing is you would press the button for each time you want one volley. This is the way it was cooded in Waterloo Napoleon's last battle (in which I belive Norb was involved) and it works really well!
Saddletank
Reactions:

Post by Saddletank »

You couldn't have that level of interaction if you commanded a division or corps. Using HITS you sometimes can't even see your troops in the fight, let alone tell them how to shoot. Besides musketry drill would be a doctrinal issue, one of training, so giving control of it to the player would not be correct.

Also, squares often didn't shoot at all, but waited, simply watching the enemy cavalry ride around them, which is what many Allied squares did at Waterloo. Men might fire individually at enemy horsemen if they threatened the square (such as lancers) but generally there wasn't anything like as much firepower put out by a square - the first rank knelt with musket butts on the ground to present a hedge of bayonets and did not shoot at all.

Troops assaulting buildings would not use volleys either. Combats in built up areas generally degenerated into dense and chaotic skirmishes.
Davinci
Reactions:

Post by Davinci »

I know I would like to see less charges and if they occur they would be a lot less successful at even reaching the enemy before breaking and falling back.

Not sure if any of that is possible since I am programming illiterate. :)
This is already possible with the current game by Modding the Drills.csv file in the N Column .

Instead of melee fighting one or both regiments will retreat a short distance from each other and resume firing their muskets.

davinci
The only true logic is that, there is no true logic!
Calvin809
Reactions:

Post by Calvin809 »

I don't think there shouldn't be any hand-to-hand but I think it should be harder to get units into hand-to-hand. It seems like in the game now the units just have to touch to initiate hand-to-hand with the entire unit (even if they touch trying to get into position to attack different units). I'm thinking of still being able to do a volley then a bayonet charge that would successfully break a defending units line but also giving the defending unit the ability to stop a bayonet charge with musket fire before they reach the defenders, or if a defending unit is demoralized it would retreat before the bayonet charge became hand-to-hand.

With volley fire did the units all fire at once or did they stagger their fire by companies and ranks or start the volley at one end of the line or was that something different than a volley? I would be fine with a volley toggle or command and for larger scenarios allowing the AI to decide what to do.
Saddletank
Reactions:

Post by Saddletank »

Hi team. A request for you all regarding MP games.

In many of our groups MP games we have scenarios created either by hand or using Leffe7's awesome scenario generator. We often put backstories behind these scenarios and indeed some might be part of campaigns we're playing. There could be side-specific objectives, hidden forces, etc.

One of the problems we encounter is when players are choosing which commander they are to play, both sides OOBs are visible. Everyone immediately sees what formations the other side has. This can kill all, or almost all, the tension and uncertainty in our games.

I want to ask, is it possible to adjust the MP lobby set-up so that when players go into the hosts room, they see FIRST a choice of sides. Once all players have selected which side they are on, the host then clicks on 'Load OOBs' or whatever and then SECOND the French players would for example, only see the French OOB and the British/Prussian OOB would be hidden from them. Vice-versa for the other side. The host would see only one OOB as well, the side he was playing on, but when a player selected his officer his name would be highlighted or flagged in some way to show the host they are ready (or give them a 'click ready' button) and the host then launches the game.

If its limited to the lobby part of the MP section of the game this enhancement could even be back-loaded as a patch to SoW Gettysburg as well.
Martin James
Reactions:

Post by Martin James »

Yes, I'd very much like to second that request, please. The ability to see the opposing side's OOB in the MP Select Screen makes it very difficult to maintain the fog-of-war.

Martin (J)
con20or
Reactions:

Post by con20or »

I'll add it to the list.
alex
Reactions:

Post by alex »

Hi - love the games- just some suggestions. :unsure: :unsure:

1) Napoleonic 'squares' were not square but often rectangular.
2) Always hated the in game fiddly re-supply system.
3) Smoke obscured much of the battlefield.
4) In on of the earlier Waterloo games troops did not always do what you wanted. Thus the Scots Grays charged and did not reform but kept going. They were too keen hard to control.
5) Volley fire has been mentioned.
6) Occupying buildings is great but in addition fortify (loopholes barricades etc) would be good to improve their position.

Thanks for the games - looking forward to Waterloo.
Saddletank
Reactions:

Post by Saddletank »

From what I have gathered so far about occupied buildings, this means those that had especial strength, like the typical walled Belgian farms, so yes, this includes additional defences like barricades behind doors, loopholing, etc. I get the impression from what's been revealed so far that your average house will not be enterable - only certain key places, probably those with a historical role in the various battles of the campaign.