Charging

Let's talk about Gettysburg! Put your questions and comments here.
Chromey
Reactions:

Charging

Post by Chromey »

Couldn't find any where a topic about this so here goes.

Does charging include any kind of melee bonus for units that instigate it?

I might be mistaken since everytime I see some unit charged they 'automatically' counter charge them

unless you slam the fall back button. So is there any kind of bonus and is there a way you could remove the

auto charge feature as well? When units that are charged automatically counter charge and leave their cover?

Really irks me when they do that. Thanks for reading.
Little Powell
Reactions:

Re: Charging

Post by Little Powell »

The autocharge is really part of the game's core. It's more about the unit on the receiving end defending against the charge. They're not just going to stand there.. So they have to move into melee/charge to defend themselves. That or run for the hills..
Last edited by Little Powell on Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Saddletank
Reactions:

Post by Saddletank »

In the past there wasn't an autocharge function and opposing units would walk right through each other if a player didn't press the charge button, which was patently silly. I think there might have been some exploitation of this in some MP games. IIRC it was the GCM players who raised the problem and NSD put in the autocharge action which fixed the issue and IMHO makes the game better.

Don't treat the movement of a defending unit as actually representing a physical countermove, its merely the animation the game plays when a unit goes into melee. They retain their formation and any formation bonus.

I don't think cover actually helps in melee anyway though I'm open to be corrected on this if I'm wrong. Yes, a unit that might be defending a stone wall could end up away from the wall if it wins its melee and you have to order it back into cover but then a unit that has just beaten back an enemy bayonet charge is going to need some reorganising by its officers anyway so I don't see this as a problem.
HITS & Couriers - a different and realistic way to play SoW MP.
Archer
Reactions:

Post by Archer »

Another charging question. Does it appear to anyone else that the AI charges/melees too frequently? From what I understand meleeing didn't occur that frequently ..historically. It mostly was firing contests and flanking contests and rarely a bayonet contest. However, it seems in the battles I play against the AI he (she??) charges and melees pretty quickly and pretty often.

Regards
Jim
Reactions:

Post by Jim »

Historically there were few. However the current generation of generals seems to be a lot more willing to march their troops right up to the muzzles of the enemy. This lead to more charging in game than there was in history.

-Jim
"My God, if we've not got a cool brain and a big one too, to manage this affair, the nation is ruined forever." Unknown private, 14th Vermont, 2 July 1863
Calvin809
Reactions:

Post by Calvin809 »

In the C-brig cornfield scenario I played recently one union brigade ran south through the middle of the cornfield then west to the road (across three of my regiments on the south fence), then charged the regiment on my left flank and broke them. They took about 3 casualties until they went into melee. There was also three other melee fights around that time all of them broke the confederate lines. My favorite was a tiny probably 50 man union regiment marched up right next to the right flank of one of my brand new >100 man regiments and tried to wheel to fire on a different unit to my right. They touched my regiment and started a melee which they lost and surrendered. :)

The amount of hand-to-hand/ bayonet fighting during the war is an interesting topic that I like to study (hence all of my posts about it :) ).
Some people say that it's kind of a mystery how much actually happened since the journals and personal writings of the soldiers seem to have a lot of accounts of hand-to-hand but the soldiers treated in hospitals seem to indicate a very low amount of hand-to-hand wounds. Was it because the bayonet wounds especially caused a quick death and therefore the smaller amount of treated soldiers in the hospitals? There was no study of the dead on the battlefield to determine causes of death.

Anyway...I still think close combat like that was a small part of a battle with exceptions.
Last edited by Calvin809 on Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chromey
Reactions:

Post by Chromey »

Probobly if you fight some 1 in close combat you usually give them the dagger of mercy, sort of thing.