Gettysburg/Antietam: "Incompatible Maps"

This is where we discuss anything multiplayer. From strategies, arranging games, to multiplayer related technical help. You will also find tournament and league information here.
Richard
Reactions:

Gettysburg/Antietam: "Incompatible Maps"

Post by Richard »

I have Gettysburg 1.61 installed on my Windows 8, build 6.2 laptop (ASUS N56V), in 'XP Compatibility' mode. I purchased the Antietam extension recently [Matrix Games] but it does not work in MP games - not all of the stars are shown and the logs indicate that there is a 'Map Incompatibilty' error (though I have not seen the logs myself). The standard Gettysburg MP/SP arrangements work fine, as does SP Antietam.

Another player and I just tried a debugging session: it seems that the Red River and (I recall) the Valverde maps are OK - we get the stars - but SecessionvilleVer2, TrevilianStationVer2 and RandomMaps2 do not.

It may be that this is a Windows 8 issue but whatever the problem I would like it resolved please, particularly as I just bought Antietam with the express purpose of playing MP games with it!

Thanks ...

Richard
Martin James
Reactions:

Re: Gettysburg/Antietam: "Incompatible Maps"

Post by Martin James »

Richard has experienced occasional difficulty joining MP games with the k/spiel group. The game logs indicate that his problems were due to map mismatches with the Antietam add-on. He has re-downloaded Antietam in case of corrupt downloads, but to no avail.

We have spent a couple of hours today testing out various other maps (without any other mods enabled) to see if a pattern emerged. The answer is........ err possibly.

The following work ok for him in MP:

Gettysburg
Trevillian Station
Red River Campaign
Pea Ridge

The following give rise to a map mismatch:

Antietam
Valverde
Seccessionville
Random Maps 2

It seems to me that the problems tend to arise in the older mods. Could it be that they need revising to cope with Windows 8? I don't pretend to be an expert on such things, and this may be totally off-beam. Hopefully someone who knows more can advise us.

Martin
Jim
Reactions:

Post by Jim »

Windows 8.1 had not been released when the last patch for GB was finalized. Other players who had Win 8 had reported that things worked as expected once the compatibility mode was set correctly. We did not test directly as nobody on the GB team had a system new enough to have Win 8. You might try other compatibility settings and see if that helps.

-Jim
"My God, if we've not got a cool brain and a big one too, to manage this affair, the nation is ruined forever." Unknown private, 14th Vermont, 2 July 1863
Richard
Reactions:

Post by Richard »

This may not be a W8 issue, so I would appreciate some suggestions as to how we can locate the fault.

Also what other compatibility settings do you recommend?

Thanks ...

Richard
norb
Reactions:

Post by norb »

Richard,

The map mismatch error are caused by a checksum on your maps vs. the other players maps. So someone in your group has different map files most likely, or some other error is kicking it off. I know there are lots of checks for MP, but since it works with your other maps it's hard to say. I think there's a reg code check in there too, you cannot mp with the same reg code. Different maps would completely mess up MP, so there is a check run before the game launches. Any differences in the map files cause the map mismatch error.
The other maps you list are not ours so I cannot comment. (SecessionvilleVer2, TrevilianStationVer2 and RandomMaps2).
Saddletank
Reactions:

Post by Saddletank »

I've been in MP groups where Richard has tried to join and we tried all kinds of variables, even playing sessions without any mods installed. It was his vanilla Antietam install that seemed to be the problem. As I understand his post above he has since redownloaded the Antietam add-on and the map mismatch is still occurring. If there are no mods active, several others in the MP session can all pay MP using the Antietam maps, and Richard reinstalls the Antietam add-on but gets the map mismatch, what could be the cause?

Norb, is there a chance that the Antietam add-on (either an old one or the newer one from Matrix) has to be updated in some way?

All I can think of at the moment, Richard is for you to uninstall the whole game and reinstall it, making sure you get all the files from the Matrix site.
HITS & Couriers - a different and realistic way to play SoW MP.
norb
Reactions:

Post by norb »

There was an update to all maps when we released through matrix, but I believe that was a one time thing and that should be what he is downloading. Perhaps if we can get the logs it would help determine the issue.
norb
Reactions:

Post by norb »

The 'map mismatch' error is a very specific situation. A checksum is done of all the map files

ini
csv
grayscale
lsl

This is done to avoid issues in mp. So this error will show if the checksum does not work out. You could compare these files, but in a new install it's just unlikely that anything could happen to them. The checksum is nothing amazing, just uses the contents as an int and adds them all up.
Richard
Reactions:

Post by Richard »

Update: I have re-installed all of the software from scratch (except that I did not delete any data files) and Antietam MP now seems to work! I don't know why that should be but I installed Gettysburg 1.5 initially, then Antietam and finally upgraded to G 1.61; previously I had added Antietam last in that sequence.

Some of the other maps like Valverde still do not work in MP mode for me, so I am not convinced that the issue is completely resolved.

Thanks to Martin James for his assistance.

Richard
norb
Reactions:

Post by norb »

Good news, sort of. All of the map packs have to be the latest version, as that's what we shipped with Matrix and everyone else's are updated. So if they are not the latest version, they won't work.