War of Rights

We're gamers, so here is a good place to discuss other games you are playing or are curious about.
rudy
Reactions:

War of Rights

Post by rudy »

I know its a FPS, and I am not presenting it as a competitor of Scourge of War.

In fact I don't like or play FPS.

But Gawd, look at the quality of the maps.

I may break down and buy it just for the graphics when it comes out.

If they ever get it working. It has been under development for a long time, without even any gameplay examples.

http://warofrights.com/gallery/#!prettyPhoto

And maybe, it will add some energy to the flickering light of ACW gaming.

A candle in the wind.
Last edited by rudy on Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MacDonald
Reactions:

Re: War of Rights

Post by MacDonald »

Of course there is also: http://www.flyingsquirrelent.eu/
rudy
Reactions:

Post by rudy »

Thanks for the link. I wasn't aware of the upcoming ACW game and will keep an interested eye on it.

And in the meantime, I've installed the Blood & Iron mod for Napoleonic Wars. Too bad it isn't single play as well.
Saddletank
Reactions:

Post by Saddletank »

I may break down and buy it just for the graphics
This is the key phrase. This is why companies continue to make pretty games that lack substance. They get your money just on a few screenshots, no matter how poor their game might be. THen, having made a fistful, they go on to make another similar title. They get rich, we get shite games.

Meanwhile superb games with 1000s of hours of engaging replay value but only average graphics like SoW get so few sales.

Its criminal.

Don't buy pretty games, buy good games.

/rant
Last edited by Saddletank on Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HITS & Couriers - a different and realistic way to play SoW MP.
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

I have always wanted to see a good Civil War FPS, RPG type game... One where you are part of a regiment, have to line up and shoot into the cloud of smoke, etc. I can't be the only one that would love to see this...

Even though that video doesn't show much, they look to be on the right track as far as accuracy. Those shots of Burnside's bridge and the high ground beyond are fantastic...
Last edited by Little Powell on Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
rudy
Reactions:

Post by rudy »

"/rant"

Nothing but.

In a small, empty, old house.
Last edited by rudy on Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
rudy
Reactions:

Post by rudy »

The graphics for the upcoming Battle Cry of Freedom don't look at advanced as for War of Rights (Saddletank will be happy), but their gameplay looks very interesting.

Planned base gamemode
Instead of selecting a game mode, a map, and factions, you choose an engagement. Each one has a historical set up in terms of map, factions, units available and objectives. The objectives are a set of goal each side has to complete in order to win the map, and they vary from mission to mission to give the game greater diversity. The game has respawns to better simulate the large scale battles of the era.

Regiment-based gameplay
Players are assigned to certain Regiments/squads. Players in the same Regiment will (re)spawn close to each other. Each Regiment will also get its own objective (that updates, of course). Some Regiments might have the same objective at the same time, but they might update differently. This will make the game more teamplay focused, since you have a set of teammates with which you are to complete a certain objective.

Engagements
What it is
The engagement will be a battle, or a part of a battle, in which each side try to complete a certain set of goals, all historically based. The first side to complete its goals wins.

Goals
The goals will vary from engagement to engagement and will generally, but not necessarily always, differ depending on which side you are on. Examples of goals could be to hold a position for a certain time, to capture a position or to destroy something.

Locations
The engagements will be based on a variety of different interesting historical engagements of the ACW.

Could be an opportunity to get a better understanding/feel of what it was like to be part of an ACW battle. I hope they can pull it off.
MacDonald
Reactions:

Post by MacDonald »

I may break down and buy it just for the graphics
This is the key phrase. This is why companies continue to make pretty games that lack substance. They get your money just on a few screenshots, no matter how poor their game might be. THen, having made a fistful, they go on to make another similar title. They get rich, we get shite games.

Meanwhile superb games with 1000s of hours of engaging replay value but only average graphics like SoW get so few sales.

Its criminal.

Don't buy pretty games, buy good games.

/rant
This is spot on. Which is why games of utter mince like Rome Total War 2 makes a gazillion bucks, while others like SoW are niche. Incidentally, I think it is also why the games industry in general is a bit stagnate and reliant on independent developers for innovation.
rudy
Reactions:

Post by rudy »

War of Rights (and Battlecry of Freedom) are FPS (and maybe TPS too).

You move around in a graphic environment and kill opponents.

Simple.

So graphics for a FPS are prime.

Objectives and teamplay requirements add to the fun.

Graphics + Objectives + Teamplay = good game for a FPS.

By your logic, niche games with dated graphics are good, and mass appeal games with advanced graphics are bad.

If the SOW developers focus on things other than graphics, by the time they come out with Waterloo in a years time, their niche will have become a cubbyhole. Gaming graphics will have left them in the past.
Last edited by rudy on Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

Have you seen the screenshots of SOW Waterloo? I don't think we have forgotten about the importance of good graphics.. ;)