NorbSoftDev Announces Waterloo!!!

Threads discussing NSD news items from the front page.
Saddletank
Reactions:

Re: NorbSoftDev Announces Waterloo!!!

Post by Saddletank »

Hm, yeah, I was just thinking that separate scenarios again as NSD did with their ACW releases would work very well for Waterloo since it was a very episodic battle. easily broken up into its principal elements. For me Lobau's VI Corps and the Young Guard defending the right flank and the chaotic fighting in Plancenoit would make great scenarios.

I'm waiting impatiently for news of how the defence and attack of buildings combat will play.
HITS & Couriers - a different and realistic way to play SoW MP.
tc27
Reactions:

Post by tc27 »

Buildings are going to be very important particulary if they do Ligny which was mostly fought in the streets of St.Amand and Ligny itself.

Big challenged for the team but I am sure they are up to it.
Michael Slaunwhite
Reactions:

Post by Michael Slaunwhite »

Well, Well, Well.... Finally.

Great news guys. So, any news on the new about your new website yet? Forgive me if this has already been asked, or info being posted, I haven't thumbed through all of posts yet to see.

Cheers, and good news guys.
Last edited by Michael Slaunwhite on Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gunfreak
Reactions:

Post by Gunfreak »

I think this is good news.

ACW is mostly an american and British thing. (says the Norwegian)

As I see it.

1. the old guard, those of us that have played SOW or even the take command games, know what Norb & co can do. While some of you might not have an aperant intrest in Napoleonics I do recomend you take a look, you might be suprised by how intersting you find it once you've invested some time on it.

2. New players, SOW does seem to have camptured mostly american players. While Europeans not so much. With going to Napoleonics, you might get litterlay thousands of new players, as Napoleonic games is something European gamers want alot. Right now we have only 2 options, The horrible Napoleon Total war. and the very good Histwar; Napoleon. But Histwar playes very diffrent from SOW, and so I think most people that have HISTWAR, will want this as a sumpliment, while those that find histwar to complex will love SOW.
Reisman17
Reactions:

Post by Reisman17 »

I have been waiting for this announcement for a very long time. Now it will be interesting to see how this plays along side Histwar (both games are great by the way). I started by playing the First and Second Manassas Campaign games and really enjoyed it and played it a lot. I have Gettysburg and have played it some but to me it did not have the same draw / additive quality that the first 2 games had. I cant quite put a finger on what was different but maybe it was the most rough terrain that made it harder to move troops to flanks etc... I know not all scenarios involved rough terrain but it sure felt like it (Only purchased the base game and not all the add-on's). I know this was realistic.
I have been a great supporter of Napoleon and games based on the Napoleonic period. I am thrilled that you are wanting to bring something new to the table. I will be watching very closely and hope I can support you guys in the years to come. Thank you for taking the time to discuss this important decision. Keep up the good work.

Reisman17
gray100
Reactions:

Post by gray100 »

Two epic battles I have always wanted to re fight are Gettysburg and Waterloo so many thanks for this new game. Can't come soon enough!

Gray
Nilam
Reactions:

Post by Nilam »

Great news,

But you will be competing with Napoleon Total war, so with that in mind will your uniforms be as detailed
will you be able to change formations (i.e. square)and enter Buildings.

I really hope you get rid of DRM and can you post a link to the podcast if possible.
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

Thanks for your interest in Waterloo.

There will be hundreds of detailed uniforms representing every (or almost) every unique unit of the battle.

Yes you will be able to change formations and enter buildings.

We got rid of DRM years ago when we made the switch to Matrix games.

Here's the highlighted version of the podcast:

http://www.norbsoftdev.net/articles-mai ... highlights
Last edited by Little Powell on Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Saddletank
Reactions:

Post by Saddletank »

Great news,

But you will be competing with Napoleon Total war, so with that in mind will your uniforms be as detailed
will you be able to change formations (i.e. square)and enter Buildings.

I really hope you get rid of DRM and can you post a link to the podcast if possible.
Nilam, thanks for your interest. Remember that Total War has a unit limit of 20 units a side (40 with some mods) and while the uniforms and 3D models are superb looking, and the 3D terrain is beautiful, the gameplay and the AI is extremely poor. The battlefields are tiny and there is actually no attempt at true Napoleonic organisation, tactics or realism.

In my view, it's TW that will have to compete with this game.

The correct organisational structure, ease of creating OOBs, scenarios and armies, huge battlefieds (25 square miles is standard), realistic effects of artillery and muskets is going to leave arcade games like TW in the dust. To achieve this level of immersion something has to give and in NSD's case they still use 2D sprites of fairly simple design. They still look quite nice but you have to give up something in order to get a very good AI and a huge detailed battlefield with up to 100s of units a side.

CA with their TW games went 100% for how cool it looks and gave no account of rtealism, tactics, army size, map size, AI that understands and can 'see' the terrain, etc. SoW is the reverse of that. You decide which is better.
Last edited by Saddletank on Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
HITS & Couriers - a different and realistic way to play SoW MP.
the reb
Reactions:

Post by the reb »

Can this be summerized?

I'll be disappointed if the next (overdue) release is not a Civil War Battle Release, perhaps a Bull Run, Stone River, etc and does nto include a Scenario Generator, but I've survived disappointment before...

the reb...