KriegsSpiel Napoleon Mod 1.710

Marching Thru Georgia
Reactions:

KriegsSpiel Napoleon Mod 1.710

Post by Marching Thru Georgia »

This mod builds upon Gunship's excellent Road To Wagram. In fact it incorporates his Baden, Dutch-Belgian, Nassau, Prussian and Russian sprites. They have been packed so they will work with his other sprites in MP battles. It reflects the combined efforts over the last 6 months by the KriegsSpiel group to produce a fairly accurate representation of Napoleonic era warfare given the limitations of the SOW game engine.

With this mod, the game plays very differently than an ACW battle. Napoleonic battles were more of a combined arms affair where all three arms, infantry, cavalry and artillery participated in all aspects of the fight. Remarkably, with the right changes, the SOW engine does a fairly good job recreating this.

In addition to the new sprites and the colorful display they make, a few other features are:

1. Skirmishers perform very much as they did during the European wars. They lead an advance, are very hard to hit and deal out a great deal of punishment to formed troops. The only way to counter them is with your own skirmishers or advance on them with cavalry or infantry and drive them back. The AI uses them to good effect.

2. Cavalry come in three basic types, light, medium and heavy. There are also lancers. Each has its own function. Unlike stock game cavalry, the AI handles these proficiently and in a very deadly manner. Primarily it will use them in support of the infantry which was their historic role during this time. If your battalion is caught out of square formation, they will likely have a very bad day. But don't be surprised if the AI uses them early to mangle your flank with his infantry in close support. As SOW does not know about squares, you will have to order their use yourself.

3. A custom GUI which utilizes formations common during that period. These differed somewhat by country and that is reflected in the game. The French can advance in mixed order, the British fought in two rather than three ranks, etc.

4. The courier order screen has been rewritten to reflect the new formations.

5. Many of the SOW command maps have been redrawn to depict different European regions. Wood fences no longer have defensive value since they were not utilizes for that purpose. In fact, much of the terrain defensive and fatigue values have been modified to better reflect warfare of that time.

6. The disastrous effect of flank or rear fire is accurately represented.

The mod comes in two versions. If you play the game with a vertical resolution of 1024 or greater then you can use the large command maps: KSNapoleon Mod 1.710 Large Maps

If your vertical resolution is less than 1024, (typical for laptops), use the small map version: KSNapoleon Mod 1.710 Small Maps

The mod must be used with Gunship24's Road To Wagram. However, you must rename or delete the \Logistics folder in the Wagram mod. The KS Napoleon mod has all the necessary csv files. Also, make sure that this mod is BELOW the Wagram mod in SOW's Modifications Activation Screen.
Last edited by Marching Thru Georgia on Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I can make this march and I will make Georgia howl.
Grog
Reactions:

Re: KriegsSpiel Napoleon Mod 1.650

Post by Grog »

A massive thank you to MTG and Gunship (for providing the sprites)

For those who have not yet tried the KS Nap mod, I recommend it highly.
boxster
Reactions:

Post by boxster »

Thanks very much for creating this. I am pretty new to this game and certainly new to modding it.

I have the mod "Road to Wagram & Peninsular 1.6" installed and working(I have tested it). As per your instructions I renamed the "Logistics" folder found in "Road to Wagram & Peninsular 1.6 CSVs" to "Logistics_orig".

I then installed your mod (large version given my screen size) in the Mods folder and made sure it was beneath the "Road to Wagram & Peninsular" in the Modding Activation window. I also made sure I selected it and have the yellow box beside it.

I went into the game to Single Player and then Sandbox but I can see no sign of anything from your mod - no units, OOB etc. (nothing that was not there before).

I am sure it is something I am doing wrong or something I just do not understand. Thanks for any help anyone can offer.
boxster
Reactions:

Post by boxster »

Got it working. Thanks again for your hard work in creating this mod. I am off to enjoy a battle now.
kentucky orphan
Reactions:

Post by kentucky orphan »

Is the Wagram and Peninsular Patch 01 still needed ?
Marching Thru Georgia
Reactions:

Is the Wagram and Peninsular Patch 01 still needed ?
No, only the 1.6 version is required. Here's the link: Road To Wagram 1.6
kentucky orphan
Reactions:

Post by kentucky orphan »

Thanks MTG. Nice mod looks good
Marching Thru Georgia
Reactions:

Thanks for the kind words. Vive l'Empereur!
Jack ONeill
Reactions:

Post by Jack ONeill »

All,

Now that I FINALLY have REAL internet access, I have just DL'd the KS Mod. Have looked forward to this for a long time. Will report back soon.

Jack B)
American by birth, Californian by geography, Southerner by the Grace of God.

"Molon Labe"
Saddletank
Reactions:

Post by Saddletank »

You're welcome to join us for an MP game any time Jack.
HITS & Couriers - a different and realistic way to play SoW MP.