The F-16 is a wonder

Here you can talk about whatever floats your boat. Your favorite movie, sports team, etc. If it's a little racey, I suggest you post in R&R, otherwise we'll move it for you.
Flanyboy
Reactions:

The F-16 is a wonder

Post by Flanyboy »

The F-16 is truly an amazing aircraft. More than 4,450 have been produced since 1974 and the aircraft despite being around for nearly 40 years will likely remain in production through AT LEAST 2017 and probably even longer if some of the deals in negotiation go through. That's absolutely ridiculous that a 40 year old air-frame could well get within a few years of a half century worth of production.

Iraq orders 18 more F-16
Michael Slaunwhite
Reactions:

Re: The F-16 is a wonder

Post by Michael Slaunwhite »

It is a nice airplane, no doubt about it, but something I found funny which made a me laugh a bit.

Iraq is purchasing a new batch? The money Iraq is using to purchase those planes is money that has been given to them by the US government, aka the American People (chuckle). So where is the profit for the US?

Anyway, I just found it sad, but funny.
Last edited by Michael Slaunwhite on Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Flanyboy
Reactions:

Post by Flanyboy »

Perhaps but it's at the least some money that's a tiny little bit of money coming back. Iraq is expected to purchase 52 F-16's to rebuild (with the newest order they have 36 on file) their airforce and they may have follow on orders for a total of 96.

The F-16 has probably been one of the most cost effective aircraft in the American military's history and was clearly before it's time.

Jordan, the UAE, Egypt, Iraq, Romania are all recent customers, and many other nations are ordering upgrades to their existing aircraft.

The other amazing aspect to the lifetime of this aircraft is that the USA is often able to sell these aircraft after the US military is through with it and make almost as much money from the plane as it would have cost to build. Granted that's not ajusted for inflation but look at this.

In 1998 a F-16C/D cost 18 million dollars for the US Airforce to aquire.

In 2010 Romania purchased 24 used American Airforce F-16C/D's which were refurbished and resold for 1.4 Billion (58 Million per aircraft).

As I said that's not adjusted for inflation and refurbishing the aircraft wasn't free but to be able to sell a plane for likely close to what you paid for the thing new is amazing in an industry that has technology become obsolete ridiculously fast.
Flanyboy
Reactions:

Post by Flanyboy »

Also I don't know what other states do but I thought this was pretty cool. Reminds me of the way units and states had their own emblems and flags that were very important to them in the days of yesteryear. We don't have that anymore it seems but hey this is kinda cool. Look at the tail fins on these F-16's.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... kyline.jpg[/img_size]

If it's not clear its a red stripe with white lettering that says Wisconsin and the W is the University of Wisconsin logo.
Last edited by Flanyboy on Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don
Reactions:

Post by Don »

In a world in which, 20 years ago, the federal government paid $500 for a hammer & an amazing sum for a toilet seat, it doesn't surprise me that they can nearly give away aircraft to "friendly" powers, the theory being that it "maintains the balance of power". The federal government that I have known has never valued money; politicians simply pay "lip service" to monetary conservation (pork-barrel politics, IRS movies, congressional perks, etc.) Money only bothers politicians who are up for re-election; that's why gridlock exists. :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:
Last edited by Don on Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Flanyboy
Reactions:

Post by Flanyboy »

In a world in which, 20 years ago, the federal government paid $500 for a hammer & an amazing sum for a toilet seat, it doesn't surprise me that they can nearly give away aircraft to "friendly" powers, the theory being that it "maintains the balance of power". The federal government that I have known has never valued money; politicians simply pay "lip service" to monetary conservation (pork-barrel politics, IRS movies, congressional perks, etc.) Money only bothers politicians who are up for re-election; that's why gridlock exists. :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:
I think you're totally reading what I said wrong.

The federal government bought the F-16C/D's for 18 million

then after using them for 15-20 years turned around and sold them for 58 Million.

That's like buying a car for 20,000, driving it for 150,000 miles and then selling it for 40,000 after redoing the interior.

That's an amazing deal for the US Government imho.