Napoleonic HITS/GCM Event: "The Battle of Busaco" Saturday 10 August

This is where we discuss anything multiplayer. From strategies, arranging games, to multiplayer related technical help. You will also find tournament and league information here.
exp101
Reactions:

Napoleonic HITS/GCM Event: "The Battle of Busaco" Saturday 10 August

Post by exp101 »

Napoleonic HITS/GCM Event: “Battle of Busaco”
Saturday August 10/GCM TeamSpeak HITS Channel http://www.sowmp.com/gcm/home/teamspeak

In Europe: 18:30 GMT; 19:30 British Summer Time; 20:30 Central European Summer Time
In the US: 2:30 pm EDT; 1:30 pm CDT; 12:30 pm MDT; 11:30 am PDT

Begin signing up now for side and command preferences at: http://doodle.com/2bq3q7rcv2vmat8w#table

It is north-central Portugal, 27 September 1810. The army of French General André Masséna is approaching the heather-covered ridge of the Serra do Busaco, occupied by the Anglo-Portuguese army under the Duke of Wellington. The defenders enjoy significant advantages in terrain, artillery, and battlefield intelligence. The French bring infantry superiority and enhanced flexibility in making their initial deployments. Cavalry will be comparably sized between the sides and limited to a single brigade for each army. Players will, for the most part, lead brigade-sized commands under a division/corps/army organizational umbrella.

Special Rules:
-To replicate Wellington’s excellent advance knowledge of French dispositions at Busaco, Anglo-Portuguese leaders may roam freely around the battlefield. French player/officers, however, must remain within 200 yards of friendly infantry, guns or cavalry at all times;
-The single victory objective will be located along the Serra do Busaco ridge in area A1.
Both Armies have some choices in their initial deployments:
-The Anglo-Portuguese may deploy their units (individually by division) in any of the northwest areas A1, A2, B1, B2;
-The French may deploy their units (individually by division) in any other area(s) of the map.

Players are encouraged to sign-up on Doodle. This will get us off to a fast start with CinC designations and early side assignments.

Sides -- French (commanded by Masséna) or Anglo-Portuguese (under the Duke of Wellington). Specific commands will be determined from preferences expressed in the Doodle sign up and as players show up. This will take a few minutes, so please be patient. Most standard KS and HITS/GCM game practices will be in place (e.g., Army CinC’s, 10 minute Council of War at launch; foliage always turned-on, no restrictions on TC’ing subordinate leaders, etc.)

CinC’s and a few early side designations will be announced by mid-week

Mods, Maps & Files Required for this Event:
Go to Uncle Billy’s post “Set Up for SOW NAPOLEON GAMES For Kriegspiel Style“ for a complete list of links to the mods & files you’ll need. http://forum.kriegsspiel.org.uk/t759-se ... piel-style

If you haven’t played the Napoleonic mod in the past couple of months, you’ll need to download the latest version of the “Road to Wagram & Peninsular” mod and either the large or small version of the“KSNapoleon” mod (note the need to delete/disable the Road to Wagram logistics folder)
Special note to Peninsular Campaign Players: Be sure to deactivate both “NAP_KSPeninsularMod” (large or small versions) and “RestrictedMovementMaps” mods

At game time, everyone should have (only these) mods activated:
*RandomMaps6
*Road to Wagram & Peninsular
*KSNapoleonMod (large or small)
*GCM Terrain 4 (optional)

Additional Background
Through the magic of modding, Scourge of War is now the best way to recreate Napoleon-era battles in multi-player. There’s no need to run the GCM Launcher or join the Battle Queue for this one!

There are many unique aspects of play involved with the Napoleonic mod. You will experience, for instance, cavalry charges, infantry squares, and 120 yard rifle ranges. The style of play is also different. As Marching Thru Georgia notes, “unlike the ACW games, [in Napoleonics] there tends to be a preliminary period before the infantry engages. During that time, artillery bombardments take place, cavalry try to establish their superiority and some of the infantry can go on long marches to attack an enemy flank.” In other words, preliminary action and maneuver is typically prolonged – with less of the dash-in for a quick fight.

Make plans to be there – and be sure to register your side and command preferences early on Doodle!

A full-resolution map of the battlefield may be downloaded at:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wfxy9jt5uxpey ... -08-10.pdf

See you there!
-Ron (Palmer)
Last edited by exp101 on Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Flanyboy
Reactions:

Re: Napoleonic HITS/GCM Event: "The Battle of Busaco" Saturday 10 August

Post by Flanyboy »

I really wish I didn't work every Saturday. :(
Saddletank
Reactions:

Post by Saddletank »

I am sure Palmer could organise one of these games on a Sunday. Our Peninsular Campaign games can sometimes be Sundays; you'd be welcome to join one of those.
HITS & Couriers - a different and realistic way to play SoW MP.
Michael Slaunwhite
Reactions:

Post by Michael Slaunwhite »

Is this going to be recorded, or broadcasted live by any chance?
Last edited by Michael Slaunwhite on Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flanyboy
Reactions:

Post by Flanyboy »

Is this going to be recorded, or broadcasted live by any chance?
I could record it live if I can make any of the events. I just bought an AverMedia live game broadcaster and I also have a subscription to X-Split, only limit is my rather poor upload speeds of around 1 MB/s. I can upload stuff live just not in high res.

I appreciate that but I work Sunday's too unfortunately.
Saddletank
Reactions:

Post by Saddletank »

We have players who Fraps or Bandicam these games. Here's Mitra's recording of the last one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... QOYvG40-70
Last edited by Saddletank on Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HITS & Couriers - a different and realistic way to play SoW MP.
exp101
Reactions:

Post by exp101 »

I really wish I didn't work every Saturday
Sounds as though playing a bit of hooky is in order. :lol:
Last edited by exp101 on Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marching Thru Georgia
Reactions:

Post by Marching Thru Georgia »

Flanboy wrote:
I appreciate that but I work Sunday's too unfortunately.
Spanish influenza is showing up in the States this month. Your area is being hit particularly hard. I would expect you to be displaying full blown symptoms by Saturday. You will owe it to your co-workers to quarantine yourself. ;)
I can make this march and I will make Georgia howl.
IronBMike
Reactions:

Post by IronBMike »

I would love to get involved and I loved Napoleonics but it's a bit too intimidating for me to jump into at the moment.
CWGII -> SMG -> SMA -> WNLB -> ANGV -> TC -> TC2M -> SOW
Marching Thru Georgia
Reactions:

Post by Marching Thru Georgia »

Nothing to be intimidated about, everyone that plays is out of their depth in this combined arms battlespace. We all just hang on and hope things will turn out OK.
I can make this march and I will make Georgia howl.