Special Waterloo HITS Event: Sat. April 13

This is where we discuss anything multiplayer. From strategies, arranging games, to multiplayer related technical help. You will also find tournament and league information here.
KG_Soldier
Reactions:

Re: Special Waterloo HITS Event: Sat. April 13

Post by KG_Soldier »

White Flag wrote;
I have to add though that this would be my first contact with the Nap mod. Chances are i'll be a greater danger to my side than to the enemy but if you are still looking for players i'd be happy to join.
Commanding from the saddle and always leaving the vegetation on is the hardest part of these games. I think it is also the most satisfying part. There is no question that the napoleonic battlefield is a much more dangerous and complicated battlespace than the ACW. One well timed cavalry charge will ruin your whole day. If you enjoy HITS play give it a try. You'll have a brigade to command under an experienced human division commander. He'll be able to give you advice on what to do and when. You won't be out there alone, fending for yourself.
Don't believe a word MTG says. If you're in my division and MTG is playing Wellington, you can bet we'll be out there all on our own being used as fodder so MTG can waltz in and get all the glory after we've had all the gory!

:ohmy:
Jack ONeill
Reactions:

Post by Jack ONeill »

All,

Question - which "HITS" setup are we using? I ask because the only one I've used so far is the one SaddleTank directed me to for SP HITS play.

"Molon Labe"

Jack B)

PS - Already using MTG's new map. BWAHAHAHAHA!!!! :laugh:
American by birth, Californian by geography, Southerner by the Grace of God.

"Molon Labe"
KG_Soldier
Reactions:

Post by KG_Soldier »

All,

Question - which "HITS" setup are we using? I ask because the only one I've used so far is the one SaddleTank directed me to for SP HITS play.

"Molon Labe"

Jack B)

PS - Already using MTG's new map. BWAHAHAHAHA!!!! :laugh:
Palmer has it set for 3 yards from the saddle I think.
Jack ONeill
Reactions:

Post by Jack ONeill »

Duh for me!!!! I forgot the Host will make the determination on that. Good.

"Molon Labe"

Jack B)

"Molon Labe"
Marching Thru Georgia
Reactions:

Post by Marching Thru Georgia »

KG_Soldier wrote:
Don't believe a word MTG says. If you're in my division and MTG is playing Wellington, you can bet we'll be out there all on our own being used as fodder so MTG can waltz in and get all the glory after we've had all the gory!
Sacrifices have to be made. :laugh: Of course Palmer needed only one experience of being hung out to dry before he skedaddled across the border and joined the Frenchies.
I can make this march and I will make Georgia howl.
exp101
Reactions:

Post by exp101 »

I'm a faster learner than Soldier.
exp101
Reactions:

Waterloo Event Battle Results

Post by exp101 »

The Anglo-Allies and French armies met on the fields of Belgium (or, if you prefer, Large Random Map 6-3) with spectacular result. Nearly 52,000 men were involved in the struggle for the objective. The gallant British under the inspired command of the Iron Duke (MTG) had victory in their grasp for moment, but were unable to maintain control of the objective. The Emperor Napoleon (Mitra) was put to a severe test but rose to the challenge and ultimately claimed victory for the glory of France.

Many thanks to all 18 participants. In size and scope, this may well have been the most colorful spectacle to grace a Scourge of War battlefield to date. Below is a summary of the battle results and player Order of Battle.

-WJ Palmer
Last edited by exp101 on Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Saddletank
Reactions:

Re: Waterloo Event Battle Results

Post by Saddletank »

16 players IIRC, at least that's how many stars I saw. Did we lose anybody?

It was a tremendous spectacle, but knowing the Anglo-Allied army well, I was pretty sure, seeing that this was the Prince of Orange's corps and included Baron Chasse's Dutch-Belgian division that we probably wouldn't be able to pull this one off. We had General Hill's division as well which included a small brigade of foot guards under Maitland plus a few British regiments but most of the army was made up of dubiously-motivated Dutch, Belgians and Hanoverian militia regiments. I commanded Detmer's brigade of a Dutch Fusilier battalion, a Belgian Chasseur battalion and four Dutch-Belgian Militia battalions. The militia were rated 3 under the SoW system and the regulars a 4. Having played many many games of ACW SoW with troops of worse quality than this I felt we might have a chance but during the post-battle debrief I found out that the French were 6s and 7s I was shocked!

I was the very tail-end brigade on the line of march as the army moved off in a north-easterly direction from just west of Badenhausen towards Austingen with our cavalry brigades under Gen Hays moving on Rohr to spy out the enemy. I had a lot of fun just remembering how satisfying it is in this game to get a brigade marching along a road for a half-hour or more.

I eventually sighted a French brigade deployed facing north astride the Eichstadt Road somewhere north of Eurenbach and our army ahead of me seemed to be frustratingly intent on marching all around it in a wide clockwise semi-circle. I deployed to observe and threaten the left flank of the enemy and for the longest time they seemed unsupported. I sent off several riders to Gen Baron Chasse (Swinder) advising him that the enemy held the objective though only weakly but our slow amd measured plan ran on, like unstoppable clockwork. I received the order to move from my position threatening the enemy left, right across behind the army to just west of Appersdorf where I deployed as the reserve behind the rest of the division. By now the French on that dam*ed "sausage hill" had been reinforced by guns and more brigades and it looked like we'd have to push them off it the hard way

I was deployed on the left wing with 2 of Kg-Soldier's brigades to my right and his third brigade (3 British regiments under Whiteflag) on my left. We had to advance up a gentle slope and into a wood. We gained ground although my troops were very twitchy and needed constant rotating out of the line but we actually pushed the French back a couple of hundred yards and began to swing around and threaten their right only to see them draw up on the southern fringe of the woods on the high south bank of a small stream which my brigade would have to ford across and then attack up the far bank.

All my units in the firing line had suffered many more casualties than they had inflicted and the Netherlands Militia were very poor troops. They would stand and take it in the line for a while but they could not win a battle.

It was at this time that I learned (mostly from seeing the horizon behind my right shoulder crowded with fleeing fugitives) that our centre had collapsed and we had to halt our advance and draw back north, trying to cover what was left of our centre.

The Nap Mod definitely gives a fantastically colourful game. More please!

Last edited by Saddletank on Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HITS & Couriers - a different and realistic way to play SoW MP.
exp101
Reactions:

Post by exp101 »

Great diagram. Makes it all clear! It also reminds me that I neglected to post the game replay. Download it here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/qyjyzqqi9rxiu ... -04-13.zip

There were 18 players to begin. Azisky left the game with a few minutes remaining. I'm not aware that anyone else dropped along the way, but it is possible. I believe SoW shows a maximum of 16 stars, even if more players are in-game.

A great deal was learned in this, as in past Nap mod games that should make for even more creative, competitive scenarios in the future. IMO Stefan's Scenario Generator represents a real breakthrough in SoW MP play.
Last edited by exp101 on Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jack ONeill
Reactions:

Post by Jack ONeill »

All,

It pains me deeply to have not been able to join you yesterday. (At this point I'd sell anyone my life for $5.00). However, I'd have been screwed anyway as our internet connection dropped off for about an hour or more at roughly 1225PM and stayed out until about 1345PM Pacific time. (I was not on - the other half was, trying to get some work done - REALLY not happy. Do not get DISH Internet.)
Until next time.

"Molon Labe"

Jack B)

"Molon Labe"