Taking objectives

Stuck in a part of the game. Here's where the Grogs help the Newbies. Share your best strategies for winning and try someone elses.
Majick
Reactions:

Taking objectives

Post by Majick »

Hello All,

Having played several scenarios with mixed results, and read the manual, I'm still a bit confused about the rules for winning objective points in historical mode.

Provided I have sufficient troops nearby and am personally in range of the objective I accrue victory points.

However, apart from being unrealistic, this makes it impossible for me to take more than one objective simultaneously. Can I use subordinate commanders to accrue victory points, and if so, how do I get them within range of the objective without going over there myself and micromanaging the situation?

Regards

Jon
Marching Thru Georgia
Reactions:

Re: Taking objectives

Post by Marching Thru Georgia »

First, welcome to the forum.

Yes the point system with regards to the objectives is artificial. However, that doesn't take away from the scenarios. Some of them are really excellent and give good lessons in tactical thinking.

You can approach the scenarios in two ways. Grab the objectives as quickly as possible and hold onto them for as long as you can to maximize your points. If you have a choice of two, but can only occupy one of them, pick the one that gives the most points and ignore the other. This of course leads to artificial play. Nobody played for points on the battlefield. Still you can have some satisfying battles playing this way.

The second way to play is to ignore the point system. Carry out your orders. Take the piece of ground you have been ordered to take and have a viable fighting force at the end of the battle. If you capture an objective, but can go farther and capture more ground and route more enemy, do so. If that means leaving the objective, so what? That's what the real general fighting that battle would have done.

The game affords you any number of ways to play. Pick one that suits your taste and style. Good luck.
I can make this march and I will make Georgia howl.