How many reenactors are here?

JTolliver
Reactions:

How many reenactors are here?

Post by JTolliver »

I've seen a few of you mention that you are Civil War reenactors in your posts and I either sent you a message or just replied to your post asking what units you guys are with. So I thought I would just start a thread to see who all are reenactors and what units do you fight with.

I'm currently First Sgt. for 19th Va., Co B. Third Regiment, ANV.

However ANV units seldom come to the smaller and mid-sized events in the region where I live in wich case I usually fall in with a unit from Longstreet's Corps. Most often I fall in with the 42nd Va. Co F. I also fall in with the 28th Va. Co C., the 18th Va. Co B., as well as the 1st Kentucky (can't recall their company right off) all of which are part of Longstreet's Corps. And don't tell anybody B) but I also have a blue uniform so I do galvanize when need be. However I don't fight very hard while I'm wearing blue. :dry:
Last edited by JTolliver on Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
con20or
Reactions:

Re: How many reenactors are here?

Post by con20or »

Might be better if you created a poll? Something like this :

http://www.norbsoftdev.net/forum/40-dis ... urier-play

I can do it for you if you like, just let me know how many options you would like and the name of each.
JTolliver
Reactions:

Post by JTolliver »

Thanks for the suggestion but that would basically just be a yes or no answer right? If so then that's no good because I'm also curious as to what unit each person belongs to. By knowing what unit they are with, especially at the brigade level, I will know whether or not I need to apologize for having "shot" at them in the past. :)
con20or
Reactions:

Post by con20or »

Lol - hopefully you missed.

It was just a (bad) suggestion - i was thinking the options could be the names of the groups, but just occurred to me that if you aren't expecting to be inundated it's probably a waste of time.

Hope you find some of your friends.
Jack ONeill
Reactions:

Post by Jack ONeill »

Jack O'Neill -

Corporal - Company I, 47th Virginia Infantry - Stafford Guards - Fredericksburg, VA.

Corporal, First Sergeant, First Lieutenant - Company Commander, Company G, 14th. Indiana Volunteers - NCWA, California.

Battalion Sergeant Major, then later Major - Commanding, Federal Provisional Infantry Battalion, Provisional Brigade, NCWA, California.

Brigade Sergeant Major - Federal Provisional Brigade, NCWA, California. (At this time, parent Company was Co. B, 7th. West Virginia Volunteers.)

Private - Company A, 17th. Mississippi Infantry, NCWA, California.

Retired.

Jack O'Neill B)
Last edited by Jack ONeill on Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
American by birth, Californian by geography, Southerner by the Grace of God.

"Molon Labe"
13thnct
Reactions:

Post by 13thnct »

13th NC co. B Ranalsburg Riflemen
As of Chancellorsville they were apart of Pender's Brigade. Due to Pender's promotion, Scales was in command of the brigade during Gettysburg.
JTolliver
Reactions:

Post by JTolliver »

Hi there 13thnct. I actually recall a living history event that we (I was with 42nd Va. Co. F. at that time) co-hosted with a company of the 13th NC several years back. I'm pretty sure that it was a different company than the one you are with because this small event took place near Wentworth, NC which is on the VA border. I see that your Company B consisted of men mainly from Ranalsburg, NC and actually included a number of York District Volunteers. For a very informative read of your unit I highly recommend

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.anc ... thNC/B.htm

However I think I may not have explained myself clearly enough in my original post. It's not my intention to ask what brigade your unit was with historically as that would be simple enough to research on my own. I'm more interested to know which reenacting unit that you are "brigaded" with, or perhaps a better way to put it is, what is the name of your parent or umbrella organization when you go to medium to large events? Another way for me to go about it is to ask who is your colonel and what is the name of the unit he commands after you guys have gotten several companies together to form a unit for the event.

I know the CMF (Confederate Military Force) has a large presence presence in your part of the country so perhaps that's who your unit is with .

Please forgive me for the lengthy post. It is my poor attempt to explain what exactly I am asking.
Last edited by JTolliver on Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
13thnct
Reactions:

Post by 13thnct »

gotcha. 1st North Carolina battalion, 4th regiment, 1st division, ANV.
JTolliver
Reactions:

Post by JTolliver »

There ya go! So you are with the 4th Regiment ANV and I'm with the 3rd Regiment ANV. I'm sure we have seen each other in passing many times. I know we've camped practically right on top of each other based on the way the ANV sets up their camps. And depending on how many years you've been in this crazy hobby and how many events you attend each year I know that we've been in many of the same engagements and have probably been on the exact same battle line at some of the larger events. Small world eh?
JTolliver
Reactions:

Post by JTolliver »

Heya 13thNCT, I was just looking at the most recent ANV OOB and I noticed that your 4th Regiment is HUGE having some 30 separate units (on paper anyway)! Of course we all know that every unit never actually shows up at an event...even the "maximum effort events" but 30 units is still very impressive man. And it looks like you guys even have your own artillery and cavalry units which makes you guys even more impressive. I would say much of your success has to do with your Colonel, Bill Potts. I've known Mr. Potts for years and he is never too busy to answer a question or to put in a kind word. And once the battles start he does really get into it big time. That man certainly knows how to move troops even during the heat of battle and that's more than I can say for several other colonel and a few brigadier generals that I've seen over the years. I'm obviously not going to mention any names because I don't want to lose my chevrons :whistle:

If you haven't already you may want to check out the official ANV website:

http://www.1stdivisionanv.com/

Yr. Obt. Srvt.
J. Tolliver aka Taliaferro