TC2M & the Frustrating Flags

General Question/Answer/Announcement about NSD. We are a small independent game development team and we value our community. If you ask, we'll answer.
ironsight
Reactions:

TC2M & the Frustrating Flags

Post by ironsight »

Its really frustrating playing TC2M regarging clicking on flags under certain jammed up conditions. In the middle of a fray with lots of units, cavalry and guns all jumbled up together, the flags of commanders are sometimes extremely hard to pick out and click onto.
Sometimes they're behind other flags and in the heat of battle when a commander needs to be given orders quick this becomes really frustrating. Seems the issue is all flags are the same length.
Is it too late in the new game to make commander's flags stand out say maybe higher than subordinate's flags?
norb
Reactions:

Re:TC2M & the Frustrating Flags

Post by norb »

That's an easy change, just a csv file setting. Have to see what Jim thinks, but it is certainly a valid concern.
Chamberlain
Reactions:

Post by Chamberlain »

Very good point ironsight ,

I am sure we all have been there, clicking like crazy to get the right unit !!! :silly:

Chamberlain
-Col. Joshua Chamberlain, 20th Maine

We cannot retreat. We cannot withdraw. We are going to have to be stubborn today
Gfran64
Reactions:

Post by Gfran64 »

That is a great idea!!

Greg:cheer:
dale
Reactions:

Post by dale »

I second (or third) that notion!

I had problems in a similar vein in TCSM with trying to assault artillery guns. The unit would get stuck beneath the gun in some way so that the infantry could not fire on the gun or capture it but the gun was still able to fire grapeshot (that horrible sound to gamers) at the infantry unit. The only solution that I found was to march the infantry unit away (while getting a second dose of canister) move the captured artillery away and then recharge the remaining enemy gun that now is unmasked. It would cost about an extra 30 men but what the heck.
ironsight
Reactions:

Post by ironsight »

Holy Smokes!... A First!... Multiple people actually agree with one of my suggestions! :ohmy:

Ok, now i'm gonna bring up the colored flags once more and see where that idea goes now as it clearly didn't go anywhere for the exploding wagons in that other thread. Why? i have'nt a clue? :blink:

How about not only making Commander's flags taller than subordinate flags but also differentiate them some how. Like maybe and this is only a suggestion, a different colored flag for a Brigade Commander, Gunnery Commander, Division Commander, Cavlary Commander etc. B)

This would be beneficial for instance when charging a grand battery with multiple brigades and cavalry. Even though the commander's flags would be higher now, still it'd be a toss a the dice PITA to find the right commander to give orders.
Just another thought!!
I'll sit down and patiently wait for the silence Now or the wrath of JC which ever occurs first! :blush: :dry:
Amish John
Reactions:

Post by Amish John »

This may be a bit obvious, but why aren't the historically correct flags being used to indicate the brigade, division, and corps commanders? (Or are they?) If you knew your flags, you'd know what unit you were looking at without having to click on the flag. See link below:

http://books.google.com/books?hl=en&id= ... lt#PPA1,M1
Last edited by Amish John on Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You can get farther with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone.
dale
Reactions:

Post by dale »

great link, Amish John

I had not seen those individual flags before. Were they headquarter flags for camps or actual battle flags or flags that were carried with the commanding officer in the field?
Amish John
Reactions:

Post by Amish John »

It's my understanding these flags remained with the commander of the unit, whether he was in camp or on the battlefield. I noticed in the W3DIIGB preview movie a 3rd corps, 2nd division headquarters flag (blue flag with a white diamond in the center), however, I didn't spot any corp or brigade headquarter flags. Since I saw the one headquarter flag, I bet NSD is one step ahead of us and is planning to use the correct flags for corp, division, and brigade commanders.

There is a method to the "madness" of the flags' designs. As an example, red is first division, white is second division, blue is third division. Infantry corp and division flags are rectangular, Infantry brigade HQ flags are triangular. First brigade is a solid color with the corps badge, 2nd brigade has a stripe on the hoist edge, 3rd brigade has a strip around the entire perimeter, and fourth brigade has a colored triangle at each of the three corners of the brigade flag.

While it appears NSD has the proportions of the regimental state colors roughly correct, the regimental US colors proportions still need to be corrected as we discussed in a previous post to be closer to an average 6 ft hoist by 6 ft fly. Presently, it appears the fly dimension is too big relative to the hoist dimension. This may not be true of all regimental US flags, but I believe it to be more correctly representative of the majority of regimental US flags.
Last edited by Amish John on Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You can get farther with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone.
ironsight
Reactions:

Post by ironsight »

Amish John, thanks for posting that link!

I can't play the preview movie :angry: for some reason, so i have no idea what the current state of the flags are in the game. From what you've indicated, the flags are gonna be in the historically correct ball park which if thats the case then the Commander's flags just need to be a bit taller than the rest of the pack.

Norb, NSD guys, any comments!