Courier changes - post 1.6

Marching Thru Georgia
Reactions:

Re: Courier changes - post 1.6

Post by Marching Thru Georgia »

Con20or wrote:
3. No it didn't, unless you tweaked it in your mod. Since 1.6 the line will form up facing the correct direction as a whole, rather than all units pivoting around their respective centres. They will also wait for couriers before rotating. But as I said - the old version was left in for people who still have a use for it.
Using this command when the units are moving to their destination results in the same behavior as the old command. They just pivot to face the new direction. They do not readjust their formation. This is the same behavior as the old command. This new command may also confuse players since it doesn't work if the units are stationary.
4. Waypoint and destination commands had to be separated to remove the 'move to map point' issue that you reported.
The units now change directions and immediately move to the new location as expected and is appreciated. But since this command does not put a star on the command map, it isn't useful for the player unless he can remember where he puts each waypoint as he plots the unit's course.
I can make this march and I will make Georgia howl.
con20or
Reactions:

Post by con20or »

Lol :)

Nothing major has changed. You can scroll through the OOB to select a commander. If you want to give orders to someone in the same formation immediately after - a quick 'left/right' on the keyboard and the 'c' key will have him selected. 'Up' and a 'c' key for the superior.

But now if you see someone way off in the distance, or click on a battery, you can quiclkly order them by courier to a destination you cant see to click, or by jumping up through the OOB find and have selected their commander instantly in the OOB to give a movement order to a larger formation. before you had to find them in the OOB.

Time will tell on this one, but I hate playing without it now.
con20or
Reactions:

Post by con20or »

Using this command when the units are moving to their destination results in the same behavior as the old command. They just pivot to face the new direction. They do not readjust their formation. This is the same behavior as the old command. This new command may also confuse players since it doesn't work if the units are stationary.
Make sure you specify a formation, just like you would with point and click. So 'face in x direction on arrival, form line'. It works when moving or standing still, the formation will then be aligned correctly facing that direction.
Last edited by con20or on Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Davinci
Reactions:

Post by Davinci »

Time will tell on this one, but I hate playing without it now.
Hey, quick question - Is this feature reversible, I mean can the old-way still be applied to the ones that don't like this?

davinci
The only true logic is that, there is no true logic!
con20or
Reactions:

Post by con20or »

Pretty sure it's hardcoded.
Marching Thru Georgia
Reactions:

Con20or wrote:
Make sure you specify a formation, just like you would with point and click. So 'face in x direction on arrival, form line'. It works when moving or standing still, the formation will then be aligned correctly facing that direction.
Yes, that is true and Awheelspec works exactly the same way. I just tested both commands and can find no difference between the two. I tested both with a brigade standing still and moving to a destination.
con20or
Reactions:

Post by con20or »

I'm unsure whether you are referring to a stock game command or something you've modded with the 'A' extension. I'll assume it's the stock command because that is what we are creating the patch for.

With 1.4, the facing orders were not carried out by courier. The units just rotated, and the formation was not centred or orientated on the general.

With 1.5, the facing orders were included in the courier order, but the facing was still off - they were unit centred rather than formatio centred.

With 1.6, this has been corrected. Now instead of getting a formation like you do on the LHS side of this image, you get the correct formation on the RHS - for moving units or stationary ones.

The attachment formation.png is no longer available
Are we talking about the same thing?
Attachments
formation.png
formation.png (4.33 KiB) Viewed 597 times
Last edited by con20or on Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marching Thru Georgia
Reactions:

I'm unsure whether you are referring to a stock game command or something you've modded with the 'A' extension. I'll assume it's the stock command because that is what we are creating the patch for.
I am using the 1.6 stock game. The courier commands I give to test this are:

1. Change direction at destination
2. Change formation to line.
and
1. Change direction (the old command Awheelspec)
2. Change formation to line.

They both yield the same result. It doesn't matter if the unit is in motion or stationary. This has always been the case beginning with version 1.0. What would have been useful is to give a stationary unit a change direction command and they would reassemble in the new direction in their previous formation without the extra step of giving them the formation command again.
Davinci
Reactions:

Post by Davinci »

con20or - Hey, you have been designated the courier-man of the forums.

What about changing how the Heading of the courier-message is designed.

Remove : Dispatch - We all know that it is a courier message.

Remove : To - General "Whatever" - since his name is listed below....again

Execution Time - can be the only time listed - so the other two times can be removed.
The attachment 2_2013-03-04.jpg is no longer available
davinci
Attachments
2_2013-03-04.jpg
2_2013-03-04.jpg (136.24 KiB) Viewed 597 times
The only true logic is that, there is no true logic!
Scott
Reactions:

Post by Scott »

I am still waiting to get the retail version running, so I am going to be shooting from the hip here a bit, but perhaps Davinci has a point in that, instead of having to search for the unit on the map to send the dispatch to, perhaps the courier screen should offer a drop down menu of the valid units in play to which a dispatch could be sent... the menu could be done by OOB, so that it is not overly cumbersome. ie: army would be the first, then corps or divisions, then brigades, and finally regiments...it owuld only drop down as deep as needed to dispatch the courier to the approprate command level. Just a thought.