Courier changes - post 1.6

con20or
Reactions:

Courier changes - post 1.6

Post by con20or »

Hope you like them, let me know how you're getting on..

1. The auto-selection of the target unit you currently have highlighted was a huge time-saver for me. At one stage i had to go back to an older version to test something and immediately noticed it missing :)

2. Removed restriction of number of messages in MP. I think thats a big help, although I dont play MP much. Having to wait for one letter to be delivered before you could send another was a pain.

3. Facing command - 'change facing at destination' will work for static uniots and ones in motion. it's the new command, but the other command was left in because it is a version of the previous one, in case people liked that for specific tasks.

4. The waypoints command - so you will specify waypoints first, and then the 'move to map point' for your final destination. If no waypoints, then just the move to map point. This will remove the bug some people reported of a unit continuing to their destination before moving to the amended destination. It required separating waypoints and move commands.

5. The 'timebug' - I hope never to see it again. Fingers crossed.
Marching Thru Georgia
Reactions:

Re: Courier changes - post 1.6

Post by Marching Thru Georgia »

1. I always preferred having the last commander I sent a message to being highlighted. I often will send him two sets of orders.

2. Very much appreciated.

3. What is the purpose of this? The old command works just fine.

4. Why would a player want to do this? It is far easier to hold down the ctrl key and plot the entire path on the map at one time.

5. Indeed, it would be nice to see this bug finally dead and buried.
I can make this march and I will make Georgia howl.
con20or
Reactions:

Post by con20or »

1. If as you say, you always send a second set of orders to the second commander - then he will still be selected. Otherwise - just reselect, use the OOB window if needs be. This is a huge time-saving feature and i can't play without it anymore.

3. No it didn't, unless you tweaked it in your mod. Since 1.6 the line will form up facing the correct direction as a whole, rather than all units pivoting around their respective centres. They will also wait for couriers before rotating. But as I said - the old version was left in for people who still have a use for it.

4. Waypoint and destination commands had to be separated to remove the 'move to map point' issue that you reported.
Davinci
Reactions:

Post by Davinci »

1. The auto-selection of the target unit you currently have highlighted was a huge time-saver for me. At one stage i had to go back to an older version to test something and immediately noticed it missing :)

5. The 'timebug' - I hope never to see it again. Fingers crossed.
(1) - I think that this is one of the worst features in the new settings.

Before, I could open the Courier-Message window, and know the last General that was given orders by courier, he would still be hi-lighted!

That was a nice feature, especially if you wanted to give orders to three or four Brigades that are listed in order of the OOB in that order.

To put that another way, the old way allowed the player to give orders to Brigades without so much scrolling.

(5) - I have been doing the time-thing for so long that I still click the time when given-orders.

It's hard to break old-habits!

Jumping Topic

con20or - What about listing the Supply-Wagons in the Courier \ Menu - they are the only units in the game that can't be ordered by a courier.

davinci
The only true logic is that, there is no true logic!
con20or
Reactions:

Post by con20or »

I'mm honestly amazed -

1. Click on a general.
2. Write and send him his orders.
3. Press left or right on the keyboard to cycle through the OOB.
4. Open courier window.
5. Send to next general who has been automatically selected.

What could be quicker than that!!
Davinci
Reactions:

Post by Davinci »

I'm honestly amazed!
con20or - it's really not a big deal, it just doesn't seem to make sense to Me at the moment.

Example :

My units are fighting on the battlefield, so the camera is basically watching the fighting, which means that a unit that is selected is near the fighting.

But , I have multiple Brigades that are no-where near the fighting, that I need to send a courier message.

So, why would they be selected , there is nothing happening at their location?

Or, maybe it's just not a big deal!

davinci
con20or
Reactions:

Post by con20or »

Run that one by me again?
Davinci
Reactions:

Post by Davinci »

Run that one by me again?
How can you not understand this?

A courier-message is designed to move units around the map that may be miles away from where the action is at the moment.

If you have go to the trouble of first finding the unit that you want to order by courier, why not just move him , considering that he is already selected !

Once Again, it's not big deal, it just doesn't seem to make sense to Me !

davinci
Last edited by Davinci on Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

why not just move him
Er, because you're playing couriers. You can always select and move, but when you decide to play couriers, select and move is a no no.

Hey D, buggin Conor eh. And being very successful I might add. :P
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
Davinci
Reactions:

Post by Davinci »

Hey D, buggin Conor eh. And being very successful I might add. :P
Hey, Reb how is it going in the Great-State of Arkansas .

Naw, con20or means well, where are just at a different opinion on this!

davinci