Help for Cavalry Scenarios please!

Stuck in a part of the game. Here's where the Grogs help the Newbies. Share your best strategies for winning and try someone elses.
Marching Thru Georgia
Reactions:

Re: Help for Cavalry Scenarios please!

Post by Marching Thru Georgia »

52nd North Carolina Infantry of Pettigrew's brigade at Gettysburg 1st Day
Lane's Brigade at Gettysburg 1st day
8th Georgia at Olustee (an official mod)
Companies of the 36th Illinois Inf. at Pea Ridge (Next official mod?)

If you are planning to do Shiloh there is an instance in that battle too.
I can make this march and I will make Georgia howl.
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

As much as I love getting into heated debates on the Civil War, I'm afraid I will have to abstain from this one. :)

Mostly because squares were so rare in the ACW, and the accounts of them happening at Gettysburg or any of our official releases have not been confirmed. Infantry squares were not a standard formation in the ACW which is why they aren't part of the stock game.

"there is no evidence that Lane actually gave the order to form squares by echelon, and there is no evidence that they actually did so."

An interesting read when you get the chance:

http://civilwarcavalry.com/?p=3578
Thomas J Jackson
Reactions:

Post by Thomas J Jackson »

Just completed 2 more cavalry scenarios at MV just GB24 & GB27 to go then all scenarios won at Major Victory
on normal.

Regarding the infantry square; it was used extensively in the Napoleonic War as Cavalry was deadly on the battlefield if used properly. The problem with a square was that it was not a good idea if artillery
was used against it.
Napoleon may well have won at Waterloo if he had coordinated his artillery to support Marshal Ney's massive cavalry attacks.
I think by the time of the ACW the range and accuracy of infantry weapons had considerably reduced the battlefield role of the cavalry and most probably infantry could have decimated any cavalry long before it could form and charge effectively.
I believe the Napoleonic War was the start of the demise of cavalry as a battlefield weapon, the Crimean War saw some cavalry action (Charge of Light Brigade etc)and English cavalry was very effective against the Zulus, and the Madhi armies. Of course even then infantry and artillery were the kings of the battlefield with cavalry often just used as mobile infantry.
Ingles of the 57th
Reactions:

Post by Ingles of the 57th »

I am not going to let you forget the Australian Light Horse in the first world war. Allenby's brilliant Palestine Campaign. One of the few rays of light in that inept war.

Mounted Infantry maybe but, when push came to shove at Beersheba, the spirit of Ney and Cardigan resurfaced with a vengeance. One of the epic cavalry charges of history. They had no sabres but used their bayonets hand-held. They thought briefly of fixing them on short poles but as one trooper ruefully remarked "no bloody trees in this desert .... and no ****** beer either".

Their rate of advance across Palestine during the campaign was reported as as fast as Patton and beaten only by Desert Storm.

They also had a camel corps in the Army. Now they would make some interesting sprites. I'm not sure how they were used though other than for recce in the desert areas.

Beersheba day remains the celebration day for the Australian armed forces. Go Aussie !!

Geoff Laver Late of Her Britannic Majesty's 57th Regiment of Foot
"Die hard, my men. Die hard the 57th."
Last words of Col Ingles commanding His Majesty's 57th Regiment of Foot at Albuhera 1811

Marshal Beresford wrote in his despatch "Our dead, particularly the 57th Regiment,were lying as they fought in the ranks, every wound in front"
Hancock the Superb
Reactions:

Post by Hancock the Superb »

Just replayed the scenario: 4111.

I played it cautious, only took three cannon, captured no regiments. I use cavalry as mounted infantry, swinging around up BRT and smashing down through Law, then keep extending the flank until I hit Devil's Den, with one regiment riding around in the rear taking the latter objectives.

Probably could gain another couple hundred points by capturing cannon and retreating regiments.

Very much a possible scenario still.
Hancock the Superb
Thomas J Jackson
Reactions:

GB24 & GB26 The last remaining cavalry scenarios:

The first and last thing about these that springs to mind is:- They are impossible to beat!!!

GB26 consistently achieving negative scores. Why? - Well you have few men, none mounted. The rebs have many more (many, many more). I drive some back, they come again more of them. The Reb artillery even from many yards away, and my men (sheltered??) by the building at the first objective keep getting blasted.
My artillery are there for the last 10mins which by then most of men are dead, captured,routed or broken, so basically the union artillery is useless in aiding a win. You cannot send a unit to drive the artillery because it is guarded by scores of mounted cavalry ( and anyway you seem to be unable to charge with dismounted cavalry).
GB24 is less impossible, have managed to score a positive number like 66! Have never got close to gaining anymore. I now agree with 'The Mad One' that GB29 was a piece of cake, certainly compared to the two scenarios.
Thoughts and help much appreciated.
JC Edwards
Reactions:

Post by JC Edwards »

GB24 MV 1183

GB26 MV 3819

It's possible. ;)

The Mad One
'The path that is not seen, nor hidden, should always be flanked'
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

My tips for GB24 are in this thread:
http://www.norbsoftdev.net/forum/comman ... ur-problem
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
Thomas J Jackson
Reactions:

The Mad One sure knows how to prod one into keep trying!! :))

Revving up engines again......keeps saying to oneself....if JC Ed can do it, sure as hell I can do it
(gulps). Well maybe not as high, but high enough to get to say Yeeha! :)
Thomas J Jackson
Reactions:

Again as always, many thank for your great support Reb.....but please try to make your scenarios are 'little' bit easier ;)