Regiment vs Regiment 1:1

Leatherneck24
Reactions:

Regiment vs Regiment 1:1

Post by Leatherneck24 »

I have always been interested in rearguard battles I am not sure maybe because it has my two favorite troops light infantry and cavalry such as hussars dragoons and or chasseurs a cheval. I was doing some testing tonight with the 10th legere from the eggmuhl oob and they have enough battalions to make a full 6 company battalion for 1809. I went through some evolutions with the regiment and wanted to see how it would look in line which looked just like a 6 company battalion. The second one I tested was the skirmishers in front with the battalion in line. This looked just like the drill book with 5 companies in line and one company the voltigeurs in skirmish order. Next I tried the regimental column I believe it is called which has 6 companies stacked one behind the other. In French this would be called the column de attack which was only single company frontage. Looks great! There is no column of division which 2 company frontage with 3 companies deep but this is not too important for me at least. So the three out of four main formations line, line with skirmishes, and column de attack all look great.

Now I was wondering Gunship if there was anyway to do a 1:1 battalion ratio.Change the battalions to companies and make them around 140 men for paper strength. Since the volts already skirmish is there a way to to have 4 fusilier/chasseur comapnies 1 volt company and 1 grenadier/carabiner company? The colonel would just be now renamed battalion commander and instead of 2 to 3 regiments in a brigade it would be 18 companies to a regiment. I think the order system would work just fine since the new colonel role would be taking the place of the general de brigade. It would be very challenging and fun to see as you could use the commander mode where you can only issue orders from couriers and only see as far as your battalion or colonel depending how you wanted to command. I think it would add some unique skirmish battles for those that like smaller battles.

Just a thought and something I wanted to put out there.

Michael B)
Pas de charge! In the name of God, En Avant!-En avant, vive L'Empereur!
Jack ONeill
Reactions:

Re: Regiment vs Regiment 1:1

Post by Jack ONeill »

LN,

Yes it IS possible. However, companies would be 125 men each, as that is the maximum number of sprites allowed per unit by the game engine. Otherwise, have at it. :)

Jack B)
American by birth, Californian by geography, Southerner by the Grace of God.

"Molon Labe"
Leatherneck24
Reactions:

Post by Leatherneck24 »

Well with campaign fatigue just from marching and sickness the companies would easily be at 125 if not less so that works out perfect.

Jack how do you create oobs? I would love to try since I have plenty of information and time since I work very early in the morning and I am in between coaching football and lacrosse right now. Is it even possible to create a battalion with 4 line 1 volt 1 grenadier company? I have only seen in the Mod 4 or 5 battalions with the converged volt battalion but never one including a converged grenadier company as well.

By the way does anyone have Scott Bowdens Napoleon Apogee or Napoleon Finest: Marshal Davout and His 3rd Corps. Really give great information not only on how the formation fought but also a great deal on skirmishing. Something that is very interesting in the book it shows Davout using a skirmish screen of all the elite companies from the 3rd battalions of the regiments who fought the whole battle in skirmish formation. They seem to have done damage on the flanks and held woods and high ground on the flank of I believe Morands division. Also it gives detailed orders from not only Davout but also all the way down to the battalion commanders. Gives incite into how to actually write orders during courier mode in game. Any ways I am a huge fan of this Mod and the possibilities for the future. My only thing I would like to see is better skirmishers since this was such a huge thing during this time period.

Michael
Jack ONeill
Reactions:

Post by Jack ONeill »

LN,

Not as hard as it may seem. I will do a small Battalion size unit to give you an idea. Really, what you will do in change names for units from, say, 1st. Battalion, 10th. legere to 1st. company 2nd. battalion etc. There ARE Grenadier sprites. Gunship used them in the Peninsula Campaign add-on and I used them to create the (at the time) Young Guard, (later the Middle Guard), for my Aspern-Essling 1809 OOB.

Jack B)
American by birth, Californian by geography, Southerner by the Grace of God.

"Molon Labe"
gunship24
Reactions:

Post by gunship24 »

Yes it would work fine changing the OOB that way.

There are a few issues, which are mainly aesthetic ones: 1) the map scale caters for a 4:1 ratio frontage so on 1:1 ratio the battalion would occupy a large frontage on the map, 2) Some formations like double line are not correct, and some like battalion (or in your case company) column spaces the units far apart, 3) The AI would send 'companies' out on their own which look's abit odd.

Interesting concept though, in theory an entire mod could be used to cater solely for 1:1 by sorting out the spacings and formations.

Apart from that it works fine :).
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Yeah, 1 to 1 sprite ratio, or SR1, is the ultimate in realistic representation...1 casualty, 1 sprite drops. The new patch will make it even more realistic as engaged lines will not reform so readily, resulting in casualty gaps being more obvious thus alerting the player visually to weakened units.

Besides being careful not to include more units that the Drills.csv designs in, also be aware that Portraits move officers all up one rank, so this has to be redesigned. No sweat now for Nap, but Grog is working behind the scenes presently on Nap Portraits.

If you haven't already, check out my B&F mod for reference, I've included several SR1 (labeled) scenarios, the OOB they reference is also labeled as SR1.
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
mitra76
Reactions:

Post by mitra76 »

any tips about the new patch release period ? :)
Visit my wargames blog: http://warforgame.blogspot.it/
Leatherneck24
Reactions:

Post by Leatherneck24 »

Well the new patch sounds exciting. I agree gunship the battle would look different due to the AI sending out companies(battalions to the AI) however whenever we get multiplayer it would be possible just with some rules. The battalion column actually isnt bad. The french used many different formations fromthe column de attack. For instance the column de attack could be at full intervals which would be company depth apart then there would be platoon distance apart and then there is closed column which would be used to either move with little space and cavalry around and or not enough space to deploy. Most likely the battalion column would be look more like column de attack at platoon distance. Anyways Gunship did you get your troops for the MOD from lordz NTW game? If so if you have time once all the new stuff and patches are done maybe we could see Hessian Darmstadt troops from 1806 Prussians and some italians with the white uniforms changing the colors the of french infantry. However the multiplayer is far more important. Great work Gunship

Any other little hints you can give us with what will come with the new patch?

LN
Last edited by Leatherneck24 on Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

any tips about the new patch release period ? :)
Coming soon...

We're working on it, but not rushing it. Besides the expanded MP play we're testing some major fixes regarding line adjustments (unnecessary movement) and shooting through troops. Also, most released maps are getting some long awaited upgrades. In addition, other stuff.

So, all in well tested time, be patient. :)
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
gunship24
Reactions:

Post by gunship24 »

Anyways Gunship did you get your troops for the MOD from lordz NTW game? If so if you have time once all the new stuff and patches are done maybe we could see Hessian Darmstadt troops from 1806 Prussians and some italians with the white uniforms changing the colors the of french infantry.
I looked at Hesse-Darmstadt troop uniforms but decided not too because they looked similiar to legere. It would be nice to them and Nassau troops but im not sure when. Italiens would be a better idea.