MP opponent in LAN manages to join the game but not the battle?

Game won't run. Keeps crashing. Hopefully we won't get any posts here, but if we do, we'll try to help you out. You can also post any bugs that you find here. IMPORTANT: Don't post mod related problems here!
Mazikainen
Reactions:

MP opponent in LAN manages to join the game but not the battle?

Post by Mazikainen »

We've had this issue for a few times when we play the game in LAN. My opponent can join the game I set up, but when we load it up, we both start the scenario in Single player mode. Which is to say, we both load the scenario but break connection at some point during the load. The "star" showing that my opponent is around doesn't materialize. Usually we've gotten in working eventually but not this time. Tried switching hosts, changing the map / scenario (both mod maps and stock gettysburg) and by joining direct ip. No luck.

Any advice?

-Mazikainen
Little Powell
Reactions:

Re: MP opponent in LAN manages to join the game but not the battle?

Post by Little Powell »

There could be conflicting files like a mod etc. Do either players have any errors in the SOWGB.log after you exit the game?
BoldRover
Reactions:

Post by BoldRover »

The versions of both game, even the minor versions, must match exactly.

I had a similar issue a few months ago, I believe with V1.4. Back then I had to re-install one of the clients in C:\NorbSoftDev\Scourge of War - Gettysburg, and NOT in "program files". A re-install in "program files" did not work for me then. I never understood why it got fixed in "norbsoftdev"-folder, but it did.

My tests from the time:
http://www.norbsoftdev.net/forum/techni ... ed-working

What is peculiar is that you mention that "a few times" it works under your current configuration. Do you mean that sometimes you succeed in setting up a MP game and on other occasions not? Or that it used to work and now it (consistently) doesn't work anymore?

Are you using WIFI or wired lan?
Last edited by BoldRover on Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mazikainen
Reactions:

Post by Mazikainen »

Yeah, we got it working last time when we tried after trying different matches. I think a version conflict on some asset might be the culprit. My friend uses SOW gettysburg only while I have all the addons. We didn't try to play on any map he didn't have, but I think McPherson's ridge should be the same for both, and we couldn't get it to work. Will look into it.

Do mods like minimap or toolbar mods cause problems in MP? What about enhancements to trees etc.
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

Toolbar mods don't cause problems, graphic enhancements don't either. However there are certain files that aren't allowed in MP, and it will usually tell you in the staging room if there is a problem. Or if it crashes, the issue is more than likely listed in the SOWGB.log.
Mazikainen
Reactions:

Post by Mazikainen »

The Log suggests it was a map mismatch error. Hmm. I think both of us should have the same version of the game.

EDIT: I verified it from my friend. We're both running 1.5001

EDIT2: I did some digging and I'm running an old mod "Desaturated terrain 1.0", which requires me to replace some terrain.dds files. Found it?
Last edited by Mazikainen on Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marching Thru Georgia
Reactions:

Post by Marching Thru Georgia »

Mazikainen wrote:
The Log suggests it was a map mismatch error. Hmm. I think both of us should have the same version of the game.
You are probably playing with a mod such as GCM or Hits & Couriers which has map mods to fix the broken road systems. Just make sure you both have the same version of the mod installed.
I can make this march and I will make Georgia howl.