Newbie HITS advice.

pensfan
Reactions:

Newbie HITS advice.

Post by pensfan »

Hello All,

Read the manual twice. Played the first 2 Chancellorsville tutorials twice. I like the perspective of HITS. I'm able to read the terrain much better while in the saddle. However, using the historical difficulity level, I've achieved (-342), and (-525) scores in the 2nd tutorial (brigade fighting). Is the historical level too hard for a newbie to learn on? I really do not want to play this outside the saddle, but I feel I might be a little over my head. Any advise on learning this game?

Thanks in advance,

Alan
Marching Thru Georgia
Reactions:

Re: Newbie HITS advice.

Post by Marching Thru Georgia »

First, welcome to the forum. I wish you many happy hours of play.

Learning the basics of the game from the saddle is difficult. I would suggest you try the Custom setting. Set the courier level to brigade. Once the game begins, press the 'F' key twice. This will keep you in the saddle but allow you to move up and down like a periscope. That way, if you need a better perspective at some moment, you have the option. It also allows you to see the battle field from the perspective of your subordinates using the arrow keys. I found this to be the best way to learn to play from the saddle.

There is also a sub-forum just for playing HITS with couriers. Be sure to check out some of the threads for tips on how to play the game at this level. Good luck.
I can make this march and I will make Georgia howl.
pensfan
Reactions:

Post by pensfan »

Thanks for the input. Will try custom settings next. Really am enjoying learning this awesome game. Will check out the thread you mentioned for more tips. Thanks again!

Alan
MikeCK
Reactions:

Post by MikeCK »

If you want to play HITS as a beginner, I recommend a little cheat. "F" is "follow"...but if you hit "f" twice, that follow mode allows you to raise the camera as high as you want ( as long as you allow it in options...so I recommend setting difficulty to custom so you can get out of HITS if u want). Now, you are in the saddle, but you can raise up and get a little perspective when you need too. This is really helpful in those scenarios where you fight in the woods
Last edited by MikeCK on Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
SamSmith
Reactions:

Post by SamSmith »

Check out these threads if you haven't already:

HITS Guide

An AAR Walkthrough of HITS

Another great AAR that gives a good feel for what HITS command can accomplish

I would also recommend checking out the Pipe Creek expansion and the just released Prairie Grove map and even the 10-Mile Map. And of course SOW Gettysburg. I would not want to leap into the Wilderness without some HITS experience in the countryside.

I usually play sandbox HITS, though I enjoy the scenarios. I like having the opportunity to lead a force through an entire battle.

Good luck to you!
pensfan
Reactions:

Post by pensfan »

SamSmith,

Thanks for the info. I've read the HITS guide and will check out the other two threads. I've been thinking of buying Gettysburg and Pipe Creek. I'm getting more comfortable with Brigade ops using HITS, but Division ops seems overwhelming to me. Having a great time learning this wonderful game/sim!

Alan
con20or
Reactions:

Post by con20or »

Glad youre liking it :)

HITS as a brigadier is fantastic - so if you like playing like that, next game try a sandbox battle.

Set it to 'division battle', but play as one of the division commanders brigadiers. Then the AI will be your divisional commander. He will give you some basic objectives, you try and support him..I love playing like that.

Don't be too worried about Division battles, remember, unlike normal play you are not controlling all the troops, just get them in the right place, at the right time, with good fatigue levels and try to give a morale boost at the right point in the line when needs be. The AI generals will handle alot of the close quarters stuff.
Last edited by con20or on Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Col. Manning
Reactions:

Post by Col. Manning »

I really like Pipe Creek for HITS. Those rolling hills allow the enemy to hide and spring some traps on you, but you also have the advantage of being able to get your commander to a good vantage point to scout the terrain. There are lots of great maps available. It's a great time to be a new player!
con20or
Reactions:

Post by con20or »

Pipe creek is a great map for HITS
MikeCK
Reactions:

Post by MikeCK »

A year ago my computer died and I had to get new links for this game. I never did reinstall pipe creek. May have to pick it up again. I forgot how nice those maps were. Fighting in the woods with HITS is actually a bit ...claustrophobic