If I buy this thing......

Let's talk about Gettysburg! Put your questions and comments here.
Group Captain Mandrake
Reactions:

If I buy this thing......

Post by Group Captain Mandrake »

.......and then I try to do a mutliplayer game, will everyone run all over me and then mock my red hair and freckles?

My question really is what level of proficiency is required to NOT be the red-headed stepchild in multipalyer?
Group Captain Mandrake
Reactions:

Re: If I buy this thing......

Evidently, I need a mic too?

Also, how do I get rid of the short fertility symbol as an avatar?
Jim
Reactions:

Post by Jim »

1. According to rumor and innuendo, the MP groups try and help out new players at the beginning. It will help to play SP for a bit so you are familiar with the controls. If you have not played any of these games or TC2M, the tutorials are highly recommended.

2. Upload some other image to use for your Avatar. This can be done under the Profile tab above.

-Jim
"My God, if we've not got a cool brain and a big one too, to manage this affair, the nation is ruined forever." Unknown private, 14th Vermont, 2 July 1863
Blaugrana
Reactions:

Post by Blaugrana »

FWIW [for what it's worth], I enjoy playing MP [multi-player] greatly, with HITS [Headquarters in the Saddle] & Couriers group.

On the SP [Single Player] side, I am racking up great negative scores in the new CV [Chancellorsville] scenarios and have to slink away and lie down after each battle.

HTH [Hope This Helps]
Last edited by Blaugrana on Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Too many acronyms
Group Captain Mandrake
Reactions:

Cool. Looks like I need a jargon demystifier too. :)

I think I'll buy it. I spend this much on drinks most nights.
Hancock the Superb
Reactions:

Post by Hancock the Superb »

Join the MP Club, we will have you proficient in no time. There isn't much to worry about, there are always new people showing up.

www.sowmp.com
GCM Mod
Hancock the Superb
FLGibsonJr
Reactions:

Post by FLGibsonJr »

Well if you General as well as other red heads in history like William the Conqueror, Oliver Cromwell, George Washington, Napoleon, Marshal Ney, Andrew Jackson, Ulysses S. Grant, William Tecumseh Sherman, George Armstrong Custer, and Dwight D. Eisenhower you should have nothing to worry about. Just don't let yourself get vastly outnumbered and surrounded on a hill.

Regards,

Gibson
Last edited by FLGibsonJr on Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chonaman
Reactions:

Post by Chonaman »

.......and then I try to do a mutliplayer game, will everyone run all over me and then mock my red hair and freckles? My question really is what level of proficiency is required to NOT be the red-headed stepchild in multipalyer?
I think most MP gamers are accepting of new players as long as everyone is honest about what they expect. I did a lot of MP gaming when I was younger, and because it was sort of a 'new' thing at the time, there was some bad behavior, but it was still tolerable.

I think it would be great if some of the forum mods or more experienced players would host a kind of "Forum Party" for newcomers, in which each side might be led by a senior commander and the newbies could learn about cooperative multiplayer communications and coordination. Sort of like a boot-camp, or a command and staff school, with hands-on, real-time experience. AARs from these sessions would probably make for some very interesting info, and with the game recording feature now featured, the commanding officer could offer voice-over commentary of the battle. That would be cool, and it's all doable! :) B)
Jonah
Reactions:

Post by Jonah »

Welcome Group Captain Mandrake a pleasure to see the jolly boys in Royal Blue here ;)

I would definitely follow the advice given here.

First and foremost learn how to use the TC (take Command) control as in multiplayer there is alot more micro management of your units also learn to play from alot closer to your troops in the GCM we have the camera view set at a max of 200m from the saddle somewhat restricting your view while the guys that play HITS use a 2m setting giving a very much first person kind of view and this takes alot of getting used to..

As Baldwin says have a look here for nightly MP games www.sowmp.com
or if you fancy it and want to try more HITs then try http://forum.kriegsspiel.org.uk/
Last edited by Jonah on Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
con20or
Reactions:

Post by con20or »

I spend this much on drinks most nights.
Thats a requirement in some groups!

Plus multiplayer is great, you'll love it.

Plus, plus unless you're in full flight you will look like you're doing ok.

Plus, plus, plus everyone always thinks they have it tougher than the guys on their flank:)
Last edited by con20or on Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.