Working with Windows 8 Operating System...

Here you can talk about whatever floats your boat. Your favorite movie, sports team, etc. If it's a little racey, I suggest you post in R&R, otherwise we'll move it for you.
Michael Slaunwhite
Reactions:

Working with Windows 8 Operating System...

Post by Michael Slaunwhite »

I decided too create another thread about running Windows 8 since my earlier thread has been taken over by those who wish to talk conspiracy theories instead of posting on what works with the new OS, and how to find compatibility fixes for problems that people might be experiencing. If people do not want to talk about the new OS, then please fill the Windows 8 Discussion thread. I would like to keep this thread actually about the Operating system itself, and how to have it work for you to make your gaming experience better.

I am interested in not tearing down the operating system, but to find out if there are issue's on how to find fixes for the new OS if there are any.

So far I have installed all of the software (Games, and utilities) that I use for Windows 7, and so far everything works very well except BBFlashback Express. BBFlashback express can be found here: http://www.bbsoftware.co.uk/BBFlashBack_FreePlayer.aspx

X-Fire works very well, and the only problems I have had are some games will not launch if you do not place X-Fire in admin mode first, other than that things are working well.

Steam works well as a frontend game database/manager/launcher. There are issues with games not launching properly (this may happen since Windows 8 is such a new OS) as well. Try first placing Steam in admin mode, if this fixes the issue you are experiencing GREAT, if not then try finding the game executable, and placing it in Admin mode as well, and see if that clears up any of the problems you are having. If it does than your off... Have fun gaming!

As far as hardware is concerned, the only thing I have an issue with at this moment are my video drivers which are still not being fully supported by the AMD manufacturer. Although AMD does have legacy drivers for my particular video card which does install, and works well.

My Video card is an ATI HD4650. If you are in the same boat as I am where your video card is concerned, then please visit this link: http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=368960 for the driver that I am running if you are running an ATI HD4600 series card.
Last edited by Michael Slaunwhite on Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Slaunwhite
Reactions:

Re: Working with Windows 8 Operating System...

Since earlier this morning, I started to go through all the old games I own, and decided to install each one to see if I am having any problems first with installing the game, and then it's game play.

My first stop is one of my old time favorites, and that would be "Sid Meier's Gettysburg!"

The install went beautifully. meaning I didn't have to use the compatibility option. I then updated the game with the smgpatch that came with the CD with no problems. I then added the addon scenarios for the game (found the cd). I did NOT install the windows XP patch. This is a vanilla install with nothing added that wouldn't be if you just bought the game, and installed it in your Windows 98 system.

I started the game in compatibility mode for Windows 98. The game runs flawlessly. Of course the map scroll has always been a small issue even running the game on faster PC's but that can be taken care of by turning the map scroll off.

Since I noticed that X-Fire does not have Sid's Gettysburg, I decided to add it to the X-Fire database file just so I can lauch the game from there if I wished. It's not difficult to do, and X-fire launched the game, and caused me no issues what-so-ever.

Here are some screen shots of the game in action...

The attachment sidsgettysburg1.jpg is no longer available
The attachment sidsgettysburg2.jpg is no longer available
The attachment sidsgettysburg3.jpg is no longer available
The attachment xfiresid.PNG is no longer available
Attachments
xfiresid.PNG
xfiresid.PNG (33.66 KiB) Viewed 185 times
sidsgettysburg3.jpg
sidsgettysburg3.jpg (298.83 KiB) Viewed 185 times
sidsgettysburg2.jpg
sidsgettysburg2.jpg (311.25 KiB) Viewed 185 times
sidsgettysburg1.jpg
sidsgettysburg1.jpg (278.53 KiB) Viewed 185 times
Last edited by Michael Slaunwhite on Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Slaunwhite
Reactions:

To continue on with adding more of my oldies for Windows 8, I decided to install "Simcopter" since this normally gagged when installing it on XP, and Windows 7.

The install went well. There was no need to set compatibility mode of any kind.

Now, you do however do require that you set the compatibility for the game to the settings below found in the pic.
The attachment simcoptercompat.PNG is no longer available
Here are some screenshots of the game.
The attachment simcopter.jpg is no longer available
The attachment simcopter2.jpg is no longer available
The attachment simcopter3.jpg is no longer available
The attachment simcopter4.jpg is no longer available
At first I thought I would have to use something along the lines of 'SloMo' to tone down the speed where walking, or flying the helicopter to it's destination is concerned, but I didn't have too.
Attachments
simcopter4.jpg
simcopter4.jpg (109.35 KiB) Viewed 185 times
simcopter3.jpg
simcopter3.jpg (68.82 KiB) Viewed 185 times
simcopter2.jpg
simcopter2.jpg (116.82 KiB) Viewed 185 times
simcopter.jpg
simcopter.jpg (108.52 KiB) Viewed 185 times
simcoptercompat.PNG
simcoptercompat.PNG (18.48 KiB) Viewed 185 times
Last edited by Michael Slaunwhite on Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Slaunwhite
Reactions:

Okay, as I'm slowly moving up the ladder for older games to install on Windows 8 I decided on installing Simcity 2000 the win95 cd version which of course has the DOS version as well. [See D-defend reloaded link below which works flawlessly with Windows 8]

Note: I launched this via X-Fire. The settings for Simcity 2000 is setup in the X-Fire game.ini for using the DOSBOX, I changed those settings to suit my edition which is for Windows 95.

I will list first the compatibility settings, then screenshots.
The attachment simcity2000compat.JPG is no longer available
The attachment simcity2000.PNG is no longer available
The attachment simcity2002_2.JPG is no longer available
Again, no patches installed, this is a vanilla install, and game play.

Link to D-Fend Reloaded: http://dfendreloaded.sourceforge.net/Download.html
Attachments
simcity2002_2.JPG
simcity2002_2.JPG (935.4 KiB) Viewed 185 times
simcity2000.PNG
simcity2000.PNG (92.68 KiB) Viewed 185 times
simcity2000compat.JPG
simcity2000compat.JPG (44.93 KiB) Viewed 185 times
Last edited by Michael Slaunwhite on Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Slaunwhite
Reactions:

Now here is a game that has made me sit back, and see the beauty of Windows8. It's Diablo. I have tried so many times to get Diablo 1 to play in Windows 7, and I just could not get it too work. I eventually had to install it in VMWAre with Windows 98 installed...

I am simply WOWed by this that I am able to install without compatibility issues, and too play it I did have to use the compatibility option to get this too run see pic), it installed, and ran right out of the box so to speed. Well Hurrah for Window's 8, I can now play one of my most beloved titles.

This is a vanilla install without the 1.09 patch installed. There are also no addons added. [see pics]
The attachment diablocompat.JPG is no longer available
The attachment diablo.jpg is no longer available
The attachment diablo_1.jpg is no longer available
The attachment diablo_2.jpg is no longer available
I am so impressed.
Attachments
diablocompat.JPG
diablocompat.JPG (47.59 KiB) Viewed 185 times
diablo_2.jpg
diablo_2.jpg (136.26 KiB) Viewed 185 times
diablo_1.jpg
diablo_1.jpg (141.15 KiB) Viewed 185 times
diablo.jpg
diablo.jpg (50.4 KiB) Viewed 185 times
Last edited by Michael Slaunwhite on Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Slaunwhite
Reactions:

Here is a game many of us know about called "Silent Hunter II". I decided to install this since I haven't played it since the early 2000's, and I was just curious to see if it would play.

First I download the latest Quicktime drivers which can be downloaded from here: http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/

The install went very well, and I didn't require to have to mess around with the compatibility settings. I applied the 1.1 patch with no problems either then proceeded to install these two mods...

#1: The Hi-Rez pack SP1 (this mod allows you to use resolution setting of 1024x768 32 bit)
#2: ProjectSchwertfisch SP2

The Hi-rez pack will see that you do not have the "MSVBVM50.DLL" (runtime files) installed correctly. This is very easy to fix. You can the download the .ddl from the website from where I downloaded it from. Once you have downloaded the file, just extract the .dll into the main directory of Silent Hunter II.

UPDATE: Please read post http://www.norbsoftdev.net/forum/off-to ... stem#52752

DLL Download: http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-f ... l?msvbvm50

After I installed the mods, I started SH2 with no problems, and I didn't require too adjust any options in the Compatibility menu.
The attachment sh2.jpg is no longer available
The attachment sh2_2.jpg is no longer available
Attachments
sh2_2.jpg
sh2_2.jpg (193.42 KiB) Viewed 185 times
sh2.jpg
sh2.jpg (136.07 KiB) Viewed 185 times
Last edited by Michael Slaunwhite on Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Slaunwhite
Reactions:

Okay here is another game I have always enjoyed, and that is Dungeon Keeper 2. The majority of people today who have installed in windows 7 experienced problems where video is concerned.

First of all, I happen to use a patch called "Dungeon Keeper II Fix for XP" which will work for Windows XP, 7, and Windows 8. Here is the link: http://404forums.net/showthread.php/240 ... Fix-for-XP

Note: I use the 1.07 patch which works fine.

Read the forum over before deciding. Also here is a registry fix that will fix some stupid video hiccups the game has for Windows 7, and for Windows 8. I made this edit, and it is clean. No harm will come to your registry. Just extract the .reg file anywhere, either double click on it, and select yes, or right click, and select merge.
The attachment dungeonkeeper.rar is no longer available
Here is the Compatible options which I use.
The attachment dk2_compat.JPG is no longer available
Here are two screesnhots.
The attachment dk2.jpg is no longer available
The attachment dk2_2.jpg is no longer available
Attachments
dk2_compat.JPG
dk2_compat.JPG (46.98 KiB) Viewed 185 times
dk2_2.jpg
dk2_2.jpg (254.72 KiB) Viewed 185 times
dk2.jpg
dk2.jpg (141.92 KiB) Viewed 185 times
dungeonkeeper.rar
(1.79 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
Last edited by Michael Slaunwhite on Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Slaunwhite
Reactions:

Well so far Fraps works very nice, Tunngle installs perfectly (Windows 7 gave me a few problems, Windows 8 installed right out of the box), AVS Converter installed nicely, and works like a charm, Apache Open Office installs, and works very well, and I'm talking fast. In Windows 7 is much more slower. CCleaner works, and installs nicely, all Microsoft Visual Redistributes from 2005, and up install without a hitch, OpenAL installs nicely (very simple install), Sandboxie installs nicely, Notepad ++ installs nicely, Windows 2003 Office installs nicely, and works very well, VMWare 9 installs nicely without a hitch, Nividia Physx installs nicely... and the list is hugh. I have installed everything that I have installed for Windows 7, and including what I have installed on my wife's computer which is XP, and it all runs smoothly.

Hell even Windows Virtual PC 2007 installs nicely (I use this to run Windows 98se, and Windows 95).

Anyway, I decided to install one of my all time favorite games "Battlefield 1942" with a great mod called "Desert Combat version 7". BF1942 installed nicely, and it ran without having to access the Compatibility options. See pics.

Download Link for Desert Combat Final Version: http://www.gamefront.com/files/2033471/ ... _v0_7_Full
The attachment ScreenShot0.jpg is no longer available
The attachment ScreenShot1.jpg is no longer available
The attachment ScreenShot2.jpg is no longer available
The attachment ScreenShot3.jpg is no longer available
Enjoy guys, Windows 8 is one hell of an OS, and I am buying it. It's far smoother than Windows 7, it's faster, and I find it very easy to use. This is a well thought out OS. I sometimes think they read my mind, and made the OS the way I like to see it.
Attachments
ScreenShot3.jpg
ScreenShot3.jpg (1 MiB) Viewed 185 times
ScreenShot2.jpg
ScreenShot2.jpg (849.21 KiB) Viewed 185 times
ScreenShot1.jpg
ScreenShot1.jpg (915.51 KiB) Viewed 185 times
ScreenShot0.jpg
ScreenShot0.jpg (1006 KiB) Viewed 185 times
Last edited by Michael Slaunwhite on Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Slaunwhite
Reactions:

Okay on to X-Fire. I have noticed that some games will have problems launching while having X-Fire activated. I'm not clear on the reason other than disabling X-Fire in the games option is needed so you won't run into this glitch.

I do know that X-Fire in the past has had issues in any OS it is designed for, and is no different for Windows 8.

Okay so how do I fix the launch issues? It's pretty easy once you know where to look. Here is the error I have received when trying to launch Battlefield 1942 either from the Desktop, or from the Main Start menu. (see pic)
The attachment bf1942stoppedworking.JPG is no longer available
Error posted in BF1942 Game log:
Exception core:
006: Unable to create shader. [ sh_video_hq]
First all what you have to do is open your X-Fire, and go to "Detect Games" outlined in RED (see pic), Now wait until X-fire finishes searching for your games you have installed.
The attachment xfiresgamedetect.JPG is no longer available
Then pick, and choose the game that is causing you the launch problems. For this example I will be choosing Battlefield 1942 because this is the one game that was causing me my launch problems. Once you have selected the game, look down to your lower right, and you will see an option "Disable X-Fire In-Game". Put a check mark in the box next to the option, and click on APPLY. (see pic)
The attachment disablegamexfire.JPG is no longer available
This should now fix your problems when receiving certain errors while launching the game either from the Desktop, or from the Start menu. If you have any other launch issues for any other game just follow the same steps above. So far BF1942, and Silent Hunter II are the only two games that caused me this problem.
Attachments
bf1942stoppedworking.JPG
bf1942stoppedworking.JPG (21.64 KiB) Viewed 185 times
disablegamexfire.JPG
disablegamexfire.JPG (79.1 KiB) Viewed 185 times
xfiresgamedetect.JPG
xfiresgamedetect.JPG (142.68 KiB) Viewed 185 times
Last edited by Michael Slaunwhite on Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Slaunwhite
Reactions:

Okay, I just finished installing "Deer Hunter 2005" since it's getting close to the hunting Season, and it's normally around this time I get a hankering for some venison (Last time I hunted was back in 1975, but I do enjoy a good slab of deer meat).

The game installed as it should with no problems. To play the game I didn't need to set anything in the compatibility tab which means it works right out of the box.

UPDATE: Deer Hunter 2005 needs to be disabled in-game if you are using X-Fire. Please read the above post on how to disable a game in X-Fire.

Now with that said, I did experience after the intro videos, the music started to skip. I have looked for the reason to fix this but no I wasn't able too (continue on reading, there is a solution). It only happens when you first start the game. If you would like to hear the music skipping, just select the .mp3 link below.

http://justallinone.com/files/deerhuntersoundglitch.mp3

There could be any number of reason for this but I never liked the music anyway, so it's no loss. BUT if you like having the music, and if you experience this skipping then here is your simple solution.

Once you are at the main menu of the game, just click on "Credits" (see pic). Doing this will reset the music, and the skipping will disappear. Once you do that you can simply go about your business by selecting the other options as normal.
The attachment deerhunter2005sound.jpg is no longer available
Other than that small issue, the game works great! Happy hunting guys!
Attachments
deerhunter2005sound.jpg
deerhunter2005sound.jpg (433.86 KiB) Viewed 185 times
Last edited by Michael Slaunwhite on Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:36 am, edited 1 time in total.