how to stop cavalry running

Stuck in a part of the game. Here's where the Grogs help the Newbies. Share your best strategies for winning and try someone elses.
phoenix
Reactions:

how to stop cavalry running

Post by phoenix »

Can anyone help? Been playing the GB scen with Buford on Seminary Ridge. I place all the regiments where I want them and wait for the rebs to come. I want the lines to hold to the last man. But there seems to be no 'Hold' order for cavalry. Is that right? And they just seem to convert to mounted and ride off at the first hint of trouble. Sometimes they charge, but mostly they ride off. Not a rout, just off they go. I have no idea where they're headed. Sometimes they do this in the face of the enemy, sometimes long before the enemy is firing. It's infuriating. I click the flag for them and hit kpd 1 to try to freeze AI control, give my orders. Doesn't work. They still get up and move to inexplicable positions. Sometimes they just get up and turn round, so they're facing the wrong way. Feels like a bug it's so annoying. Make sense, anyone?
Little Powell
Reactions:

Re: how to stop cavalry running

Post by Little Powell »

That is the nature of cavalry. They will fight, and then getaway, fight some more, then getaway again etc. Others may offer advice as well (I'm no cavalry expert), but again, the fighting and withdrawing is the nature of a cavalry unit.
Marching Thru Georgia
Reactions:

Post by Marching Thru Georgia »

How you play the scenarios depends on your goal. If you are trying to get what is considered a major victory, then you have to use the same non-19th century techniques that the scenario testers used when they played and scored the scenarios. Remember, by and large they are more interested in getting as high a score as possible rather than being a 19th century commander. There's a lot of chest thumping among folks of their ilk. :) In the case of the 1st scenario, the liberal use of the TC button is required to keep the cavalry in place.

On the other hand, if you are more interested in trying to experience the fight as it occurred, then you forget about the score, (they didn't have those 150 years ago), and focus on the objective. In the case of that scenario, it is to hold that section of the line until the infantry arrives. You need to utilize your troops to delay, not destroy the enemy.

If playing for a certain score, you will find many of the scenarios dull affairs of micro-management. Of course if micro-management is your thing, then you will be in nirvana. But if trying your hand at being a 19th century commander is your thing, then you'll find many of these scenarios to be well written with a high replay value.
I can make this march and I will make Georgia howl.
phoenix
Reactions:

Post by phoenix »

Thanks LP and MTG. I'm happy to micro-manage, MTG, if that's what's required to get them to stay put and keep the Rebs off that ridge. THAT is my goal. I haven't even worked out the scoring yet. To keep the Rebs off the ridge I need my cavalry to line up, get off their horses and act like infantry, without running off on horses for no apparent reason. I'm not sure if my goal is non-19th century. I don't think so. I want to hold the ridge, that's all. But if I place the regiments to do that and then leave it to the AI then all this inexplicable behaviour follows. I don't mind if they even appear to be upping sticks to move somewhere more favourable, but they don't - they just move illogically (for example, turn around and sit there, backs to the Rebs). Looks like daft AI behaviour to me.
Marching Thru Georgia
Reactions:

Post by Marching Thru Georgia »

Yes, the cavalry behavior is not well developed in the game. But they behave much better than when the game first came out. The one advantage of the cavalry is their ability to move quickly. They are very good for flanking maneuvers. You don't need to fight the battle exactly as it played out in 1863. ;)
I can make this march and I will make Georgia howl.
phoenix
Reactions:

Post by phoenix »

Ok. I'll try sending them charging into the Reb flanks. That's what they seem to NEED to do....

Thanks.
NY Cavalry
Reactions:

Post by NY Cavalry »

Who has ever seen a dead cavalryman?
JC Edwards
Reactions:

Post by JC Edwards »

Ok. I'll try sending them charging into the Reb flanks. That's what they seem to NEED to do....

Thanks.
Bring ALL of your units forward to the OBJ and TC them. Get 2 to 3 lines up at the fences for protection (just as Buford did HISTORICALLY)). Set some of the guns near them for morale boost. Have your Ammo Wagon TC'd and at the ready to re-supply your forward units when they start running low.

You have 2 Regiments, 1 Regular and 1 Veteran if I remember correctly that will hold out longer than the others. Very good marksmanship between the 2.

And remember, if a Reb unit gets too close or comes in "contact" with one of your Regiments, the Cavalry will auto charge.

My MV score for this is 9444. I achieved this before them foot Soldier boys even arrived.

I am The Mad One and I approve this message.
'The path that is not seen, nor hidden, should always be flanked'
phoenix
Reactions:

Post by phoenix »

wow. I got 509 so far.....

Will try your tactics. Thanks!
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

I know folks are proud of winning a tough fight and bragging on their tactics and such, but this scenario is setup to easily gamey. If you want a big score with little effort proceed...
SPOILER: SHOW
Last edited by RebBugler on Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...