MP version?

Saddletank
Reactions:

Re: MP version?

Post by Saddletank »

SOWG is built for civil war battles. If I truly wanted to play Napoleon, I would want the engine redesigned for Napoleonic warfare. I'd like to see an entirely new game with the same engine tweaked.

Formations would be much more important and I'd want to see the ai set up its army in formation rather than just bumping into the enemy while marching on a road.

I'd like to see the use of cavalry modeled differently and used differently by the ai.

I think players will pay for a truly Napoleonic game if it was true to the era.
This goes without saying, if NSD want to sell us a nap game, these features you state are a must.
However most these features are unnecessary in MP, meaning, the AI does not need to know when or how to use square, when or how to charge cav or what formations are appropriate.
All this is done by the player.
I am sure the current corps formations in ACW can be modded to nap ones.
So as you see, there is room for a MP napoleonic mod and for later a NSD released napoleonic game.
I promise to buy the nap game, but give me my nap mod now :)

VC
Please be aware that not all MP play is player vs player. Our HITS and couriers community plays a great deal of players co-op vs AI, simply because the AI in the game is so good and because via HITS it is hard to control large forces.

So a solid AI that thinks more in Napoleonic terms and less in ACW terms is also needed for MP play.
HITS & Couriers - a different and realistic way to play SoW MP.
gunship24
Reactions:

Post by gunship24 »

It has nothing to do with sales. It's because it does take effort to enable them, and months of testing/fixing the bugs it causes. Believe me, even the smallest change usually breaks something else so extensive testing and bug fixing is required.

If someone can list exactly the files needed to make the nappy mod MP playable, I'll make sure a request is put in the system.
I believe you.

These are the files that a napoleonic mod absolutely would need:
unitglobal.csv
unitmodel.csv
munitions.csv
Ok thanks, got it in the system.
Thanks LP, indeed those are the files required. All the rest are on the OK list. I can imagine that even a small change can have massive, and even game breaking consequences, so hats off to the test team in everything they have done since release to get a great game out. If the MP does open up i would be happy to help out in the testing of it.

I agree with everyone that there a far reaching changes that would be needed for a true nap game, things out side the scope of SoW, but even with these omitions it truely makes for a great game all the same, MP would be the icing on the cake.
Baldwin
Reactions:

Post by Baldwin »

I would be willing to host for testing the mod in MP and I'm sure a lot of people would love to beta test it as well with me.
Jack ONeill
Reactions:

Post by Jack ONeill »

All,

Yes, the re-structuring of the game engine to "think" in Napoleonic terms would/should be the absolute focus of any change. Wheeling up d'Spagne's Cuirassier Division and forcing the Austrian Foot into square so the Horse Batteries (I will add some, I promise) can pound away at them while the Infantry columns hustle up is a site ALL of us can appreciate. OR, the assaulting French Battalions formed in Columns of Divisions with Skirmishers out front as they advance on the deathly silent British lines might just alter some brain chemistry, eh?

En Avant!

Jack B)

...and, having done some small amount of work here, I can fully appreciate just how much work that would be.
Last edited by Jack ONeill on Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
American by birth, Californian by geography, Southerner by the Grace of God.

"Molon Labe"
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

I believe you.

These are the files that a napoleonic mod absolutely would need:
unitglobal.csv
unitmodel.csv
munitions.csv
Ok thanks, got it in the system.
Thanks LP, indeed those are the files required. All the rest are on the OK list. I can imagine that even a small change can have massive, and even game breaking consequences, so hats off to the test team in everything they have done since release to get a great game out. If the MP does open up i would be happy to help out in the testing of it.

I agree with everyone that there a far reaching changes that would be needed for a true nap game, things out side the scope of SoW, but even with these omitions it truely makes for a great game all the same, MP would be the icing on the cake.
Cross your fingers Nappers, it's being looked at. I did my best to push your points in our meeting tonight. No guarantees at all, but some hope if certain failsafes can be worked out.
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
Bloody Bill
Reactions:

Post by Bloody Bill »

I am part of the same Napoleonic community as VC. There is a lot of people that would be very interested to get SOW for the Napoleonic mod alone. I myself got the game for the Love of Civil war combat but Napoleonic warfare opens up a whole new world and will spark a larger group of gamers that are dedicated.

Bloody Bill Semper Fi
gunship24
Reactions:

Post by gunship24 »

Cross your fingers Nappers, it's being looked at. I did my best to push your points in our meeting tonight. No guarantees at all, but some hope if certain failsafes can be worked out.
Thanks for the update Reb, very welcoming news!
Von_Clausewitz
Reactions:

Post by Von_Clausewitz »

Awesome news. When an official "good to go" is given, i will spread the news.

VC
Saddletank
Reactions:

Post by Saddletank »

You mean "if".
HITS & Couriers - a different and realistic way to play SoW MP.
Von_Clausewitz
Reactions:

Post by Von_Clausewitz »

I am an optimist by my nature and will stick with "When".
:)

VC