Strategy

Stuck in a part of the game. Here's where the Grogs help the Newbies. Share your best strategies for winning and try someone elses.
General P R Cleburne
Reactions:

Re: Strategy

Post by General P R Cleburne »

In option one the ridge gives the Grey army the interior lines and therefore offers better logistics for manouvring forces behind the lines,whereas the blue army will have exterior lines and will have the opposite problem.
In this option the the lines of fire wont converge and the blue army might have a better time approaching the centre.

In option two the opposite is true (depending on how the blue army coordinates its attack)
and the grey army would have exterior lines in the event of a head on assault.
However option 2 clearly (imo) gives the blue army a better range of tactics to employ.
Im thinking that the full ahead assault wouldnt work so well here but an attack on either flank looks like a better option for the blue army.
However in this option the converging lines of fire towards the centre would also benefit the grey army.

:)

Enlighten me :laugh:
Last edited by General P R Cleburne on Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
con20or
Reactions:

Post by con20or »

no flanking, head on attacks only. Poor Ai in my illustrations:)

spot on - interior lines is what i was looking for.

Your prize is to come up with another example!!
Michael Slaunwhite
Reactions:

Post by Michael Slaunwhite »

Ok, an easier one this time.

These rectangles represent big units like a Corps rather than individual regiments, so once again this is strategy on the grand scale rather than a smaller fight.

Scenario 2

The grey army have taken up defensive positions on a long ridge.

In Option 1, the ridge is convex towards the attacker, in Option 2 it's concave.

In each case, what benefits do the curve of the ridge confer, and to who?

Lines.png
Personally the first is the best defense since both flanks are pretty well protected. Depending on the situation itself (ongoing battle), if the Union decides on concentrating on the center, the center itself can strategically collapse, bringing the union forces into what Hannibal did to the roman soldiers eventually slaughtering the union attackers (that's of course the union commander can see this coming).

The second is something I personally wouldn't use unless I have the advantage of terrain, or using it for ambush only.

I have used the first example with good results in the past against human players. I have used it against the A.I with mixed results. But I think I still have a screen shot around somewhere that shows how using the example #1 doomed the enemy I was fighting.... I simply slaughtered them.
Last edited by Michael Slaunwhite on Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robert E Lee
Reactions:

Post by Robert E Lee »

For Scenario one: Send the ICorp, IICorp and the IIICorp down the river to SOW. Regroup with your last Corp keeping 1-2 brigades along with about four artillery pieces and a supply wagon about 1/4 mile out of SOW headed towards Norbville to serve as a rearguard so the enemy doesn't catch up with you using the same tactic. Then proceed to overwhelm the isolated enemy Corp. After that, move back to Norbville along the river with two Corps on both sides. Don't worry about double quick because by the sounds of it , the enemy doesn't have any reserves and your men are going to need as much energy as possible for the long march. Once you get within 5 miles of Norbville, halt your army and let them rest. Then continue to march towards the enemy. If the enemy army is only on one side of the river, then pull the two Corps that are on the opposite side of the river back across, again leaving 1-2 brigades to serve as a rearguard. When the location is mostly secure, pull the rearguard back across the river to join the fight. But you also need to remember that that/those brigade(s) can also be used as reserves if needed. If the enemy is on both sides of the river, then keep two Corps on both sides until one side is secured, then pull them across the river once again leaving a rearguard on the side of the river that you just secured. That's how I'd do it anyways.

Robert E Lee.
Last edited by Robert E Lee on Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Robert E Lee
Reactions:

Post by Robert E Lee »

I want feedback on my strategy.

Thanks,
Robert E Lee
Last edited by Robert E Lee on Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Richard
Reactions:

Post by Richard »

Assuming that there are (pontoon) bridges across the river, presumably the red army could attack Norbville whilst the greens were away and then withdraw if the greens returned via the river. This process could be repeated as often as necessary until the reds at SoW city were victorious.

There is also the point that the reds could have placed artillery along the river bank to assault the green boats; such guns could be in pits so as to fire close to the surface, giving a much greater chance of hitting something, even at night. It is even possible that the cannonballs would skip along in that case!