Finally Played a HITS game

Jack ONeill
Reactions:

Finally Played a HITS game

Post by Jack ONeill »

All,

Well, I finally got my head out and figured out how to put in Tanks HITS setup and played a game. Itwas FREAKIN" AWESOME!!!!!!!! Played as my Favorite Reb Brigade Cmdr - Barksdale. OMG! It is amazing what you CAN'T see riding around out there. I still have to figure out the "Map Directions/March" aspect so I went across country, but it was so cool! It was stunning how alone I felt, even though the rest of the 2nd. Corps was moving along the roads somewhere nearby. Always riding forward to scout the terrain, etc. Got used to the delay as the couriers rode back/over to the Battalions and then they would react, etc. Actually was marching along when I heard, off to my left, cannon fire. Could just see the smoke rising from over the ridgeline.(was using My Smoke Mod - which allows the smoke to linger a bit longer and rise higher than stock so it shows up more.) Wheeled the brigade left and was actually MARCHING TO THE SOUND OF THE GUNS!!!! Up over the rise and engaged the 1st. Div. of the 2nd. Corps, already hard pressed by the rest of McLaws Division. What a Bloody Hoot! I'm totally hooked on this now.

Thanks Tank for the settings.

Damn I love this Game!

Jack "More Crazed than usual" O'Neill B)
American by birth, Californian by geography, Southerner by the Grace of God.

"Molon Labe"
Little Powell
Reactions:

Re: Finally Played a HITS game

Post by Little Powell »

Excellent.. Yeah there's nothing quite like HITS. You truly get a sense of what it was like for a general in the Civil War. I remember the first time I played HITS, I could have sworn I could smell the gunpowder. :)

Someone once made the comment that the Antietam maps were to flat compared to the real world terrain. Play them in HITS, and you'll see just how hilly they really are...
Last edited by Little Powell on Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jack ONeill
Reactions:

Post by Jack ONeill »

Yes, I read that too. Even if you play normally, Antietam is NOT flat. Still have to figure out the new map movement deal, though. Hate to grind across country all the time.

Jack B)

"Molon Labe"
Saddletank
Reactions:

Post by Saddletank »

Now you just need to get online with us Jack. :lol:
HITS & Couriers - a different and realistic way to play SoW MP.
Jack ONeill
Reactions:

Post by Jack ONeill »

Roger that, Tank. BTW, what time of day do y'all play over there across the pond? That will be the determining factor.

All,

Can someone please post the thread which explains the latest map movement application? I've done a search but can't tell which is which. It's the one where you can click on the mini-map and then have your troops move to that location. Thanks.

Jack B)

"Molon Labe"
Kerflumoxed
Reactions:

Post by Kerflumoxed »

Jack, simple enough that I can do it!

First, I use one of the modded toolbars and it has two map icons: the normal one at the top of the bar and another at the bottom....I think is call command map, but it doesn't make any difference. Open the bottom map icon, left-click on where you want your commander to go, select the troop formation (usually column), select road-march, and you are done. Then to verify, open either map and you will see a red target denoting where your boys are marching! Done!

Now, remember, if I can do it, so can you!

Jack
Jack Hanger
Fremont, NE
[/size]
"Boys, if we have to stand in a straight line as stationary targets for the Yankees to shoot at, this old Texas Brigade is going to run like hell!" J. B. Poley, 4th Texas Infantry, Hood's Texas Brigade
Marching Thru Georgia
Reactions:

Post by Marching Thru Georgia »

Another convert. Indeed HITS is a very different and challenging experience. Be prepared to loose a lot. To use the command map you will need to place this command in your keyboard.csv file. It is in the \Work folder:
Map Move,N,AMmoveto,,,,,
It doesn't matter where you put it. You can open the defaultkeys.csv file, (line 87 in my version), and copy and paste it from there.

The Brits have games periodically during the week at ~1:30 CST. A few of us in the states also have game ~6:30 CST. On the weekends we try to start playing ~1:30 CST. Hope to see you.
I can make this march and I will make Georgia howl.
Jack ONeill
Reactions:

Post by Jack ONeill »

All,

Okay, I have the command prompts in the right place. I get the target box on where I want to go but can't get the troops OR me to move there. What am I missing? Also, jsut have the one map since I don't have a modded toolbar. Do I need it?

Jack B)

Also, wasen't there a modded keyboard file put out awhile ago with some changes on it? I have a vague rememberance of it.
Last edited by Jack ONeill on Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Molon Labe"
Saddletank
Reactions:

Post by Saddletank »

Hehhe, its a quite differnt experience isn't it? When you are in the middle of Gettysburg town and everything is going to hell and high water all around you, you really can't beleive its the same game. It has a very First Person Shooter feel to it sometimes, especially in close terrain. The forests and steep hills of the Fox's Gap map are a great place to play HITS... unless you suffer from claustrophobia when it can sometimes seem a little too[/] realistic.

I too love the stereo effect of hearing cannon fire off to one side of you and being able to actually march to the sound of the guns. Also, I tell you, when that popping rattle of musketry starts up nearby and you can't see who is causing it - that can rattle your nerves and get the adrenaline flowinmg too.

Also, wasn't there a modded keyboard file put out a while ago with some changes on it? I have a vague rememberance of it.
That does the same thing and is what I am using, so you may want to try it and see if it works for you. In your \Work folder is keyboard.csv and defaultkeys.csv. Rename keyboard.csv to keyboard_backup.csv (or something similarly helpful like that) and then rename defaultkeys.csv to keyboard.csv.

http://www.norbsoftdev.net/forum/techni ... d-controls

That should get you the Command Map pop up using the N key.

You will need to have installed v1.2 originally for this to work or so I have been told.

As MTG says we are online from 19:30 UK time / 14:30 East Coast Time usually, but these days we don't meet every day so it's best to drop a note on the Kriegspiel Forum to tell us when you plan to be around:

http://kriegsspiel.forumotion.net/f32-scourge-of-war

On Fridays and Saturdays I stay up all night if there's games going on so anytime after 14:30 East Coast Time there is usuaally someone on our Teamspeak server. The address and password details are on the Kriegspiel forum.
HITS & Couriers - a different and realistic way to play SoW MP.
Marching Thru Georgia
Reactions:

Post by Marching Thru Georgia »

Jack O'Neill wrote:
What am I missing?
To move your brigade via the command map:
1. Select the brigade commander.
2. Press the N key. The map will appear.
3. Click on the destination for the brigade. Map will disappear.
4. Click the formation you want the brigade to assume on arrival.
5. Click the Use Roads button if you want them to follow the roads.

The troops will begin moving to their destination.
I can make this march and I will make Georgia howl.