Ideas for next Release

Here is where we discuss the official add-on packs for Scourge Of War: Gettysburg.
Martin James
Reactions:

Re: Ideas for next Release

Post by Martin James »

Good idea.

Martin
Jack ONeill
Reactions:

Post by Jack ONeill »

All,

Here's an idea that has been rattling around in my head for a bit. Ever since the Nap Mods were imtroduced, I've wondered about adding this to the Sandbox actions. There were very few "Meeting Engagements" as such, during the Napoleonic Wars. Most major actions were "set piece" Battles, with the Armies knowing where the other was, (more or less), and ready to go from the start. (The ACW was that way too, actually.) Anyway, "Hunt Them Down" and "Line of Sight" were/are meeting engagements and set piece battles respectively.
Is it possible, AND how hard would it be, to add something like "line of Sight - Attack" and/or "Line of Sight - Defend." Since most armies either did the attacking OR defending, this might give the player/players the option to do one or the other. In most Line of Sight Battles I have fought, both sides tend to just go at it, even with Objectives involved. Having to Take or Hold a position might make these battles a bit more appealing, rather than just a slugfest.
Anyway, my ha' penny.

Jack B)
American by birth, Californian by geography, Southerner by the Grace of God.

"Molon Labe"
Michael Slaunwhite
Reactions:

Post by Michael Slaunwhite »

I would like to see a persistent battlefield, and allow people to create their own dedicated servers.
mike1984
Reactions:

Post by mike1984 »

Start with Fair Oaks/Seven Pines, all the way to Malvern Hill. Some of the 7 Days would only be one scenario, but many could be 3-4. It would be great if a map like (but scaled back graphically for logistical/time sake) the SOWG scenario page could be used, since this campaign would cover a larger area than just a few miles. A straight list of scenarios like Antietam doesn't allow one to grasp the global sense of where the battles were on the map. Anyway, It wouldn't necessarily have to be a full "campaign" style game, with all the battles interrelated, although that would be awesome. But there is so much variety in the Peninsula Campaign, with each side winning and losing battles, it could offer incredible replayability on either side. One final pitch is that not many CW games have covered the Peninsula Campaign, even though it's so rich in drama and action.

P.S. Don't forget about the appeal that the same maps around Richmond could be used for Overland Campaign expansions later. That was a great idea from earlier in this thread. However, I would be concerned that anything except the Wilderness would be too lopsided in favor of the Union. And that's coming from a Yankee.
Davinci
Reactions:

Post by Davinci »

Here is my list of four things that I would like to have in the next release.

1 – Real-Time day and night cycles. At night you can still move the units, you just can’t engage the enemy forces to your immediate front.

Such as – if there is battle going on, you can still move units left or right, just not forward into the enemies’ line.

2 – The AI having the ability to fallback into a better position if the battle is not going in their favor.

3 – Better cooperation between different divisions and corps of the AI units.
The AI should have the ability to know where their friendly forces line end, and try to extend it doing a battle.

4 – during Open Play – the courier message leaves the position of the sender, instead of the Commanding Officer.

Other than that, I have very few complaints about how this game has evolved!

davinci
The only true logic is that, there is no true logic!
mike1984
Reactions:

Post by mike1984 »

3 – Better cooperation between different divisions and corps of the AI units.
The AI should have the ability to know where their friendly forces line end, and try to extend it doing a battle.
That would be HUGE for single player games. The AI wouldn't have to be great... just, better at coordinating with its own divisions/units.
IronBMike
Reactions:

Post by IronBMike »

The main thing is to go back to the simplicity and intuitiveness of TC2M. The screen was less cluttered and IMO the animations/colors/graphics were much easier on the eye. Mouse clicks were more responsive. It was easier to move troops around, etc.

TC2M has a much better "feel" than SoW. I find myself drawn back to TC2M because of this. The game just feels smoother.
CWGII -> SMG -> SMA -> WNLB -> ANGV -> TC -> TC2M -> SOW
Davinci
Reactions:

Post by Davinci »

Mouse clicks were more responsive. It was easier to move troops around, etc.

TC2M has a much better "feel" than SoW. I find myself drawn back to TC2M because of this. The game just feels smoother.
Hmm, I don't think that I could ever go back to the previous game, the courier-system is without a doubt one of Norb's greatest programming feats!

davinci
The only true logic is that, there is no true logic!
IronBMike
Reactions:

Post by IronBMike »

Mouse clicks were more responsive. It was easier to move troops around, etc.

Hmm, I don't think that I could ever go back to the previous game, the courier-system is without a doubt one of Norb's greatest programming feats!

davinci
Well I love the advanced system (mostly) and couriers. I'm just talking about the feel.
CWGII -> SMG -> SMA -> WNLB -> ANGV -> TC -> TC2M -> SOW
Baldwin
Reactions:

Post by Baldwin »

Why not get away from Virginia and do something in the Western Theater like Shiloh or a Kentucky battle?