Tournament's?

NSD Hosted Multiplayer Tournaments
JmCraz8
Reactions:

Tournament's?

Post by JmCraz8 »

Any chance of any more tourney's in the near future? looks like the one in 2009 was really fun.
RebBugler
Reactions:

Re: Tournament's?

Post by RebBugler »

I think the MP tournaments were good for game PR and it was quite entertaining listening to the competitors' feedback. A big issue I had with it though was that specially designed scenarios for balancing play were generically structured. I thought this was unnecessary and completely killed the personalities of the units and the history of the battle.

I think using the present scenarios as is would be more fun and provide the historic realism this game is designed for. The simple solution for balance...play the scenario twice. Play the scenario, switch sides and play it again, then add the scores. No special designs, historical fun, and the top scores will definitely determine the best teams.
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

Yeah the first tournament was sort of a trial run to see if it would catch on. It was a good run and everyone seemed to enjoy it but they also weren't chomping at the bit to have another one. I agree with Reb that if we do another one, we won't make it so balanced and add more randomness etc.

But if more folks are interested in having another one, we'll look into it. Maybe even offer some kind of prize for the winner. :)
SamSmith
Reactions:

Post by SamSmith »

This would be great!
Saddletank
Reactions:

Post by Saddletank »

I'd be up for some of that.

How would you ensure no mods were in use so that everyone played with the vanilla game?
HITS & Couriers - a different and realistic way to play SoW MP.
KG_Soldier
Reactions:

Post by KG_Soldier »

I'd be up for some of that.

How would you ensure no mods were in use so that everyone played with the vanilla game?
I thought you didn't like competitive games?

And if it's a "vanilla" game, you'd have a column charging, canister fest -- no thanks.

And by the way, Digby, we've pretty much eliminated the massed attack as a useful tactic in the GCM -- finally and thank goodness.

Great games the last couple of months with very few massed charges, and basically none that were successful.
Last edited by KG_Soldier on Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Saddletank
Reactions:

Post by Saddletank »

Just asking a question, that is all.
Last edited by Saddletank on Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

For me without mods gameplay and visuals are just too vanilla, and in some aspects lacking as we have progressed and enhanced the stock game substantially with modifications. I would indeed encourage or at least allow the use of mods in tournaments. They should be declared up front though, and the host would have a check list on start up to substantiate folks honesty, and integrity. The MP game engine is designed very well to indicate mods in use.

Also, any mod declared should be made available for everyone to check out, and use if they so desire.
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
Saddletank
Reactions:

Post by Saddletank »

That isn't going to work as some people will insist on certain mods being used and others will insist on other mods. Different mods may also substantially alter gameplay.

People can load any kind of mod they want that affects the visuals such as blood, smoke, vegitation, even toolbars but gameplay mods would have to be completely excluded so that every battle was fought in identical circumstances.
kg_sspoom
Reactions:

Post by kg_sspoom »

If Norbsoft comes up with a tournament let them tell us what mods to use or exclude.
Teams would be fun if we could pull off a 2v2 or 3v3 tourney.

And scripted or custom made scenarios would be a riot I really like that Idea
Last edited by kg_sspoom on Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.