Secessionville Version 2.0 - Released

This is where our experts try to teach you the very flexible modding system for our previous release - SOW Gettysburg and its add-ons. It's powerful, but dangerous. Post your tips and your questions.
Hancock the Superb
Reactions:

Re: Secessionville Map - Released

Post by Hancock the Superb »

Here are some screenies I took:
The attachment screen0001_2012-06-19.jpg is no longer available
The attachment screen0003.jpg is no longer available
The attachment screen0004_2012-06-19.jpg is no longer available
Again, the map is a work of art!

LP: I was reading about the battle, and it said there was two hedgerows and a cotton field that the federal troops charged across, that is what I thought was missing.
Attachments
screen0004_2012-06-19.jpg
screen0004_2012-06-19.jpg (289.3 KiB) Viewed 164 times
screen0003.jpg
screen0003.jpg (368.03 KiB) Viewed 164 times
screen0001_2012-06-19.jpg
screen0001_2012-06-19.jpg (467.93 KiB) Viewed 164 times
Hancock the Superb
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

Again, the map is a work of art!

LP: I was reading about the battle, and it said there was two hedgerows and a cotton field that the federal troops charged across, that is what I thought was missing.
Thanks Hancock!

Interesting about the hedgerows and cotton field.. Those could have been in the open area in front of the fort. I'll have to get out my Secessionville book and see if Patrick Brenan mentions more details about that. If so, I'll get it in an update eventually, along with the bridge from the main land. Thanks again.
conjotter
Reactions:

Post by conjotter »

Nice work!

Fired up the game as the union player and took the fort after slowly outflanking it and posting a battery to blast the rebs from the left rear. Then the frontal assault. Those rebel 24 lb howitzers are deadly at close range.

Really liked the sky color, the water and the marshes. Was this battle fought at sunrise?

Regards, CJ.
Shirkon
Reactions:

Post by Shirkon »

Nice work!

Fired up the game as the union player and took the fort after slowly outflanking it and posting a battery to blast the rebs from the left rear. Then the frontal assault. Those rebel 24 lb howitzers are deadly at close range.

Really liked the sky color, the water and the marshes. Was this battle fought at sunrise?

Regards, CJ.
It was a predawn attack by the Federals.
War is cruelty. There is no use trying to reform it. The crueler it is, the sooner it will be over.

Sherman, December 1863, remark to a Tennessee woman.
garyknowz
Reactions:

Post by garyknowz »

Beautiful map! Thanks!

Now all we need is a new game function to adjust for the uselessness of my soaking wet powder after being dropped neck deep in the Goat Island swamps. :P
Sorry. I suffer from a serious case of typosis. Don't worry, it's not contagious :)
Ingles of the 57th
Reactions:

Post by Ingles of the 57th »

More likely sunset. Isn't the bright sky in the west ? I can just see the sun going down behind the tree. They probably landed pre-dawn then took all day to extricate themselves from the swamp and get their powder dry.
Last edited by Ingles of the 57th on Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Mix up between threads.
"Die hard, my men. Die hard the 57th."
Last words of Col Ingles commanding His Majesty's 57th Regiment of Foot at Albuhera 1811

Marshal Beresford wrote in his despatch "Our dead, particularly the 57th Regiment,were lying as they fought in the ranks, every wound in front"
Shirkon
Reactions:

Post by Shirkon »

More likely sunset. Isn't the bright sky in the west ? I can just see the sun going down behind the tree. They probably landed pre-dawn then took all day to extricate themselves from the swamp and get their powder dry.
It's definitely sunrise not sunset. The Federals were entrenched at Grimball's Landing near the southern flank of the Confederates, not in a swamp. The swamps were on the mainland approaches to the Tower so had to be gone through to attack. It's interesting to note that the commander of the attack did so contrary to direct orders and was court-martialed afterwards.
War is cruelty. There is no use trying to reform it. The crueler it is, the sooner it will be over.

Sherman, December 1863, remark to a Tennessee woman.
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

Benham was a drunk, court-martialed, and he was hated by everyone except his own mother... :laugh:

And yet he still went on to be a successful engineer in the Army of the Potomac.
Jack ONeill
Reactions:

Post by Jack ONeill »

So, I'm guessing they found a place where he actually knew what was going on, instead of a Combat Command where he obviously didn't. :laugh:

Jack B)
American by birth, Californian by geography, Southerner by the Grace of God.

"Molon Labe"
2nd Texas Infantry
Reactions:

Post by 2nd Texas Infantry »

No he just can't do it right. Seems Maj. Gen. Benjamin F. Cheatham (C.O. of the Tennessee Division, Army of Tennessee) was the best combat drunk. The best, I am bored with a siege/inactivity drunk would be Grant. If I am not mistaken Benham graduated #1 or #2 in his class at West Point, he must not have found his penchant for the bottle yet.

But hands down, the best field commander to pull on the jug is J.C. "Mad One" "Sarge" Edwards. Give that man some Jameson and a Confederate Cavalry regiment and look out....Because you have just been routed.