Just want to confirm the process for purchasing

Let's talk about Gettysburg! Put your questions and comments here.
MeiguoJinjang
Reactions:

Just want to confirm the process for purchasing

Post by MeiguoJinjang »

Sorry if I am a little confused. I've tried the demo and want to purchase the full game and two expansions.

So, I download the full game v1.4. I click on FastSpring and indicate that I want to purchase all three. It says "Direct Download", but the full game download already has the two expansions built-in, correct? So, I really only want an activation code.

So, what happens when I purchase all three? Do I get three activation codes for each component, or just one activation code which unlocks all three?

Does it make any difference if I buy all three at once or the other two later?

Just a little confused ... thanks. (I don't buy that many games.)
Garnier
Reactions:

Re: Just want to confirm the process for purchasing

Post by Garnier »

When you buy the full game, you get a key to activate it.

The expansions can be bought later or any time. They give you a key and a download link, you download them and use the key to install them. The expansion's files do not come in the full game/demo download.
Last edited by Garnier on Wed May 23, 2012 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Play Scourge of War Multiplayer! www.sowmp.com
Also try the singleplayer carryover campaign
Davinci
Reactions:

Post by Davinci »

I was\ am – under the impression that each of the official downloads had a separate key to them!

davinci
The only true logic is that, there is no true logic!
Garnier
Reactions:

Post by Garnier »

You're right, I forgot they had a key when you install them.
norb
Reactions:

Post by norb »

Yes, there is a key for each download. There is currently no product that is a purchase of all three together. You have to buy each product to get them all. When you make each purchase you will be emailed your keys. You can use the SOWGB key on the demo you already have installed. You don't have to download this again. You will have to download the map packs. When you download the map packs, please save the files to a backup. They are not available on the internet, only through the store and there's a limit to the amount of times you can download them.
MeiguoJinjang
Reactions:

Post by MeiguoJinjang »

So, if I want to move SOW to another PC, then I need to deactivate all three of the components?

Also, I understand if I need to reinstall XP, I need to deactivate and then reactivate.

What happens if I have a hard drive crash? How do I recover the game, given that the crash wasn't anticipated?

I use Acronis True Image disk imaging. I have my games installed on a separate disk from my OS. If I restore the OS from an image ... say I get a problematic software update that makes my system unstable, must I deactivate the game first before restoring the OS image? I guess in part what I am asking is if the DRM scheme is all in the game directory or also in the registry on the OS disk?

I used to back up my PC with a SCSI board and two tape drives. But I switched to NAS network backup. I was planning to remove the SCSI board and tape drives from the PC when I do my Spring dust blow out. Will that cause DRM problems? (I know that if you make enough hardware changes, you may have to reactivate Windows.)

Lastly, I read the FAQ. I wanted to ask why is it that I don't need to worry about any mods I install corrupting the game and my activation?

Sorry, one more question, the FAQ says "don't move the folder". Will running a disk defragger be okay?

I know that's a lot of questions, but this DRM thing is all new to me. I just want to make sure that I won't run into problems before I purchase.

Thanks for addressing my concerns.
Garnier
Reactions:

Post by Garnier »

So, if I want to move SOW to another PC, then I need to deactivate all three of the components?
The keys for the expansions are only needed to install them. So you'd only need to deactivate the game itself when moving it.
What happens if I have a hard drive crash? How do I recover the game, given that the crash wasn't anticipated?
I've seen this happen to a lot of people, including myself. You have to email SOW support and they will deactivate the key for you. I've seen this take anywhere from an hour to two days. During that time you can't play the game.
I wanted to ask why is it that I don't need to worry about any mods I install corrupting the game and my activation?
If the mods are installed to the Mods folder then they won't interfere with anything. (Most mods are this way, and the others, if any are still available, have been tested and don't mess up activation)

Changing your hardware, as long as the game is still on the same drive, has not caused me any problem. You can also unplug/replug the hard drive and it won't matter. As long as the game stays in the same directory on the same drive.
Sorry, one more question, the FAQ says "don't move the folder". Will running a disk defragger be okay?
Yes, disk defrag does not mess up activation.
MeiguoJinjang
Reactions:

Post by MeiguoJinjang »

Thanks for the answers.
MeiguoJinjang
Reactions:

Post by MeiguoJinjang »

Okay, I just purchased all three components.

I have a Quad Core system. Generally, I run my older games bound to a single processor just dedicated to games. Will this game take advantage of multiple cores or will one be good enough?

Thanks.
MeiguoJinjang
Reactions:

Post by MeiguoJinjang »

Although I am at v1.4, I saw a note that say to patch you must uninstall mods. The installers for Antietam and Pipe's Creek said that they install mods. Does that mean they must be uninstalled before doing any patching? (Also, I did not see an uninstaller for Antietam.)

Thanks.