Age of Sail

We're gamers, so here is a good place to discuss other games you are playing or are curious about.
con20or
Reactions:

Re: Age of Sail

Post by con20or »

Tracked down my copy of privateers bounty and had a game or two last night. i didnt even bother installing AOS2 - should I?

How do I use the soundings? I rmeember there was a button for it, but i couldnt see it. I also BOUNCED off an island, and took no damage. That was at full difficulty too.

I was getting a broadside every 20 seconds too...seems a bit fast.
Saddletank
Reactions:

Post by Saddletank »

It's been over ten years since I played... sorry, my memory has gone on the details. I don't recall the cannons loading that fast although I do recall various forum conversations about reload speed and that it was designed as being faster than historical since historical speeds would lead to very long boring battles.

IIRC the Spanish crews at Trafalgar were managing about a shot every 5 minutes from their biggesr guns (32pdrs).

Distant Guns is a fantastic game although there's some bugs with AI pathing near land that spoils the campaign. Same bugs (plus some much worse ones) badly affect "Jutland's" campaign mode but graphically its very satisfying and multiplayer is very good. The games are all true scale with battle maps being 200 miles square in the Jutland game (100 miles square in DG) and combats at 20,000 yards or more for the biggest battleships, all in correct scale with the ship models so visually its very impressive.

Its so frustrating though that such a great game is spoiled by some really bad AI bugs.
HITS & Couriers - a different and realistic way to play SoW MP.
FLGibsonJr
Reactions:

Post by FLGibsonJr »

I have been searching for a good Age of Sail game forever it seems. Like Saddletank mentioned there never has been a real replacement for Age of Sail II. I still have the game but have not fired it up in ages. Looking back at all my gaming over the years I probably enjoyed AoSII and the Sea Lords community more than any other game and community, another great one being the Red Baron 3D game and community.

I have always been interested historically in the warfare that took place between 1754 and 1865, and more specifically the naval warfare that took place between 1754 and 1815, to date nothing better than AosII has come out to cover that era of naval warfare. There is so much you could do with that era, for instance I had always wanted to mod one of the Great Lakes naval battles, especially the Battle of Lake Erie, but unfortunately never got to it. The list could go on and on.

They did continually improve AoSII over time, and I do remember that after I had stopped playing regularly they had tried the game played through a dedicated server instead of Gamespy and were able to get a large number of players playing at one time (I think it was like 15-20 players), when I played however 4 vs 4 was about the limit. The Sea Lords site is still up here >>>>> http://www.sealordsvf.org/

Maybe one of these decades we will get us the game we are looking for, lets cross our fingers.

Best Regards,

Gibson
con20or
Reactions:

Post by con20or »

Red Baron 3D is probably in top 5 of my favourite games of all time.

I thought I was the best in the world at it. Went online MP once, learned otherwise :)
Last edited by con20or on Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Saddletank
Reactions:

Post by Saddletank »

I tried Rise of Flight recently. Stunning game with amazing graphics and an extremely good physics engine but VERY hard to master it. I died often in MP and never got myself a single kill. I had to give up as 10 year old kids were whupping my rear end every night.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryyPQbpvWQw
Last edited by Saddletank on Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
con20or
Reactions:

Post by con20or »

yeh - rise of flights fantastic but unless you have a TrackIR you're toast in mp. You just cant look around quickly enough with the mouse or a joystick hatswitch.

I dont have one...
Saddletank
Reactions:

Post by Saddletank »

I bought one for the game. Still use it now, but just as a mic for SoW MP ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gcE3ZxQacg&

Hm, spamming the AoS thread. We need a WWI flight sims thread...
Last edited by Saddletank on Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
con20or
Reactions:

Post by con20or »

One of my favourite games of all time was Mount and Blade. Another of my favourite games of all time was Mount and Blade Warband. There have been a few add-ons, but they didn't amount to much.
Although Mount and Blade 2 has been announced, it seems the next installment is.......

Mount and Blade : Caribbean.

http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/ ... dthqefl474

If they have realistic sailing mechanics you will never hear from me again.

More than likely, the usual, furled; battle; full sails.

Even still, this I want to see :)
con20or
Reactions:

Post by con20or »

If this makes it to completion, it will be everything we're hoping for and more...

http://www.piratesahoy.net/categories/h ... -seas.131/
con20or
Reactions:

Post by con20or »

Check out the image for sail control - this is going to be incredible. The ship models (especially the on-deck model) also looks great.

http://www.moddb.com/games/hearts-of-oak

Last edited by con20or on Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.