Recruit has questions re scenarios, sandbox.

Let's talk about Gettysburg! Put your questions and comments here.
mantrain
Reactions:

Recruit has questions re scenarios, sandbox.

Post by mantrain »

Hello,

I would like to know if there is a way to customize a sandbox game so that I can have a mixture of units, ie, cavalry, infantry and artillery?

I like the idea of Sandbox, in that I can fine tune my own scenario type, but,
I notice that all the selections only gave me one kind of unit type.

Or, do I have to play divisional level (which I am not ready to bc I am green.)

Otherwise, what are some good scenarios for beginners?

I did play Take Command a few years ago, but this game kicks by butt.

How can I get to the next level of play, where I can survive on the battlefield?

thanks!
Braxton Bragg
Reactions:

Re: Recruit has questions re scenarios, sandbox.

Post by Braxton Bragg »

Hello there old chum :)

I think the Order of Battle you need in sandbox is Law's Division
OOB SB Div day2

Gives you command of Infantry and Artillery, also Wade Hamptons cavalry

hope this is of some help :)

Braxton Bragg
Last edited by Braxton Bragg on Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There will always be a counter argument!
Chamberlain
Reactions:

Post by Chamberlain »

mantrain,

Follow this link to the add on page and download the 2 Entry Level Brigade Scenario Packs for Gettysburg and Antietam, created by Little Powell. They are excellent beginner scenarios that will help get you going ...

;)

http://www.norbsoftdev.com/forum/official-add-ons

Chamberlain
-Col. Joshua Chamberlain, 20th Maine

We cannot retreat. We cannot withdraw. We are going to have to be stubborn today
Jack ONeill
Reactions:

Post by Jack ONeill »

Man,

Where do I start?

1) Yes, this is THE most customize-able game out there right now. There is actually an OOB for Sandbox play that has all three arms in one Division, on each side. It's SB_OOB_Div_Day_2. Pretty easy to work with. (Just saw Bragg mentioning the same one.) You can operate at Division or Brigade level. Not too many troops to command and not too ovverwhelming.

2) There are a few semi-beginner scenarios provided by some of the modders but you'll have to hunt them down, download and install them. Just check the Mods List.

3) Yes, this game kicks butt. For awhile it will kick yours. It STILL kicks ours sometimes. Practice, Practice, Practice... That's all you can do to get better. Think, pay attention and lead by example. You'll get better. Fight well!

Jack "...my line of retreat? Over the bodies of the enemy..." O'Neill B)

(Karma to anyone who can tell me who said that.) :)

Just noticed Lawerence posted the link you need. Good Deal!
Last edited by Jack ONeill on Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
American by birth, Californian by geography, Southerner by the Grace of God.

"Molon Labe"
Braxton Bragg
Reactions:

Post by Braxton Bragg »

Nice one Jack..............Oh and Dont call him Lawerence :P

Braxton ( the Wrong way ) Bragg :woohoo:
There will always be a counter argument!
mantrain
Reactions:

Post by mantrain »

I really appreciate your help,

But,

why does it kick my but brigade level, where take Command did not?

What are some of the things you do in the field, when brigades are facing each other, to win the day?

For example, I lost little round top. Not sure why. I was there first. had the high ground. but my troops deserted me. It's time for a mass hanging. cowardice should not be tolerated. Wish there was a feature where we could hang cowards. That really happened in this civil war.
Jack ONeill
Reactions:

Post by Jack ONeill »

Man,

Federal troops at Gettyburg were marginally inferior to the Rebs. Also, the Rebs were coming off a series of victories against this same army and had a much higher morale number, as it were. YOU, as Brigade or Division Commander must recognize this and work within it. Have you played the tutorials? These are a must to get the feel of the game. Also, there is no substitute for a personal appearance with your men. YOU provide a morale boost by your very presence. Cover and good ground is also very important. Learn, quickly to recognize the symbols on the toolbar. Swift decisions make a difference. Also, TC the wavering units - this will sometimes allow them to hold just a little bit longer and possibly turn the tide in your favor. At Briagde Level, you...must...be...everywhere...at once.

Read again my opening remarks to you on a different thread. I was in command of a strong French Division and was still on the losing side. The Austrian Heavy Cavalry Divison swept forward, routing the French Heavy Horse and crashing into the French Division on my flank, routing most of the Infantry there in one, HUGE, shattering charge. If this had been real life I probably would have ridden 2-3 horses to death just trying to keep some semblence of a battleline as we retired. If you are not everywhere, you are nowhere.

This game will show no mercy. YOU must be prepared. Fight well!

Jack "Blundering aimlessly in the dark" O'Neill B)
American by birth, Californian by geography, Southerner by the Grace of God.

"Molon Labe"
mantrain
Reactions:

Post by mantrain »

"Have you played the tutorials?"

I played the first couple of tutorials. But also I have a fair amount of experience with Take Command.
Do I still need the tutorials?
Gudadantza
Reactions:

Post by Gudadantza »

"Have you played the tutorials?"

I played the first couple of tutorials. But also I have a fair amount of experience with Take Command.
Do I still need the tutorials?
Absolutely.

Both games are very similar but It will never be a waste of time learn in more detail the specific details of the SoW system. But you will be at home. Taking in account the regiment graphics and the masiveness of some maps, The courier system and the orders map is something will make you forget Take Command as the standard in your RTS wargame niche.

As it is said there are specific OOB called Brig_Div to have in a division the three kind of armies. It is useful to have smaller battles but more varied with cavalry and artillery.

Greetings.
mantrain
Reactions:

Post by mantrain »

well I tried playing the divisional tutorial but it was of no help. It just told me to hold the road for and that was it.