ELPine Maps - Released

This is where our experts try to teach you the very flexible modding system for our previous release - SOW Gettysburg and its add-ons. It's powerful, but dangerous. Post your tips and your questions.
Little Powell
Reactions:

ELPine Maps - Released

Post by Little Powell »

Scourge Of War: Gettysburg
ELPine
Version 1.0
Author: Davinci

Elpine

This pack includes two alternate versions of the Alpine Map.

To install, simply run through the installer, and you will find the two maps ELPine_1 and ELPine_2 in your Modifications menu. Select the mod (make sure a 'yellow block' is shown next to this map) and they will be available in Sandbox. Enjoy.
Last edited by Little Powell on Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Crikey
Reactions:

Re: ELPine Maps - Released

Post by Crikey »

Congrats D.

Been watching this develop with interest. Glad to see it's here!

B) B) :woohoo:
Saddletank
Reactions:

Post by Saddletank »

Great news, thanks. Will try them in MP tonight.
HITS & Couriers - a different and realistic way to play SoW MP.
Southern Son
Reactions:

Post by Southern Son »

Hmmmm, something is wrong???????????

:huh:
Saddletank
Reactions:

Post by Saddletank »

You have 2 conflicting mods. Try turning off your "Map_Screen" mod.
Southern Son
Reactions:

Post by Southern Son »

You have 2 conflicting mods. Try turning off your "Map_Screen" mod.
Thx Saddletank.
I forgot the "Map_Screen" mod.

B)
Saddletank
Reactions:

Post by Saddletank »

Some first impressions.

I like the new, higher-res ground textures, not only are the colours and saturations of colours good, the detail is good too. Removing the rather ugly pixellation of the original textures makes the environment so much better.

I like the new trees but their colour bleaches out with distance. This may be interntional, giving the idea of a haze in the air with distance but unfortunatey the ground textures retain their strong colours when far away so the end result is decidedly odd. Either all the textures and vegetation should bleach out in the distance or none should.

I like the new scatterings of grasses, scrubs, bushes and such. Those details are extremely welcome and 'lift' the flat dull open spaces well.

The graphics and colour palette you've chosen makes the map seem far more tropical and warmer. It feels like the deep south, the Carolinas or Florida perhaps.

I'm not sold on the new road textures. Roads and trails should be hard beaten dirt and be a pale dusty brown. The mix of bright green and dark green 'mossy' texture you've used looks strange as a road texture. It looks like it would be more suited to a forest/undergrowth base texture. Any chance the road textures could be replaced with something more suitable please?

I am ambivalent about the new green creeks. Can't decide if this works or not. Unless the creek has a water surface/plane that has reflective properties and so reflects the sky I think the original dark brown/muddy creek beds were better. In my screenshots I show a very wide creek in ELP_ine2, almost a river, this seems to have a more bluey-grey texture and works much better.

I like the new crops, corn, wheat and so on, and the cemeteries, but where are the buildings? Farms look extremely odd without farm buildings. Can some be put back please?

The reduced hills is a welcome feature, lower, more gently rolling landscapes are very easy on the eye and very realistic. Those of us who like mountainous terrain have plenty of maps already that deliver this.

Some screenshots:

http://s1133.photobucket.com/albums/m58 ... ettysburg/
Last edited by Saddletank on Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gudadantza
Reactions:

Post by Gudadantza »

Is great to have more maps, all is welcome, personally I prefer the heights of the standard Alpine map. So, I consider the new ones not a modification of Alpine but completely new stuff.

Mmmm... I am looking into and for now the game has a lot of maps for sandbox, and I do not own Pipe Creek...
gunship24
Reactions:

Post by gunship24 »

Davinci, superb map! Had only a short game so far but i think the ground textures are really really good well done. Very lush looking and suits the nap sprites perfectly :p.

The attachment screen0286.jpg is no longer available
The attachment screen0284.jpg is no longer available

Defo gonna be playing on this some more.
Attachments
screen0284.jpg
screen0284.jpg (597.39 KiB) Viewed 177 times
screen0286.jpg
screen0286.jpg (622.69 KiB) Viewed 177 times
Last edited by gunship24 on Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gudadantza
Reactions:

Post by Gudadantza »

Being a different thing I must say This is a great job. Love it.

The palette and the good terrain makes it very atmosferic. The details are discovered using the map some time.

Is it a 2´5 km map? 5 km map?

greetings

Oh, and just a detail. I would not call it Alpine. It is something more "marsh" or florida, it appears more southern.

It remains me Ucrania during the Barbarossa :cheer: , No, I am not joking. Really.
Last edited by Gudadantza on Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.