Troops under cover?

General Question/Answer/Announcement about NSD. We are a small independent game development team and we value our community. If you ask, we'll answer.
Hancock the Superb
Reactions:

Troops under cover?

Post by Hancock the Superb »

I was wondering if during the game, troops could start out standing up, then when they first were getting fired at, they would also stand up, and then crouch down and finally lay down over time if they weren't a long a stone wall or fenceline. For the stonewall you just have them kneeling once they hit the wall, and a fenceline they only go through the kneeling and standing.

All of this is while under fire.

To move, I would like to see:

15 yards of movement - in same position, more than 15 yards, stand up and move.
Hancock the Superb
norb
Reactions:

Re:Troops under cover?

Post by norb »

I guess the designers could do anything they wanted to. Details like this usually aren't pursued, but if it comes out in testing it will be addressed.
Chamberlain
Reactions:

Post by Chamberlain »

Hancock the Superb wrote:
For the stonewall you just have them kneeling once they hit the wall, and a fenceline they only go through the kneeling and standing.
I agree Hancock, to see a Regiment kneeling and firing from behind a wall or through a fence would be awesome !!!!

:) :)

Chamberlain
-Col. Joshua Chamberlain, 20th Maine

We cannot retreat. We cannot withdraw. We are going to have to be stubborn today
GShock
Reactions:

Post by GShock »

Fences, trenches and stonewalls missing from the game would be very very bad. Extremely bad. These were by no mean ordinary advantages for the defender and should be dealt with appropriately.

Perhaps troops should use automatically these when in proximity without need for player to tell them to kneel down, use cover etc. but we need appropriate hit and dmg modifiers, as well as the animations.

I hope Norb realizes how important they are. It's not "they can make what they want" it's rather "They HAVE TO make them because they are important".
Ephrum
Reactions:

Post by Ephrum »

Chamberlain wrote:
Hancock the Superb wrote:
For the stonewall you just have them kneeling once they hit the wall, and a fenceline they only go through the kneeling and standing.
I agree Hancock, to see a Regiment kneeling and firing from behind a wall or through a fence would be awesome !!!!

:) :)

Chamberlain
Good call Hancock. That would lend to more realism. And one more thing to take into account when attacking.

Maybe even a "prone" firing position? Okay, now I'm just getting carried away!:)
OHIO UNIVERSITY
JC Edwards
Reactions:

Post by JC Edwards »

Ephrum
.....Okay, now I'm just getting carried away!
Ahhh.....I knew that was you being carted off by the guys in the little white jackets!:cheer:
'The path that is not seen, nor hidden, should always be flanked'
Ephrum
Reactions:

Post by Ephrum »

JC Edwards wrote:
Ephrum
.....Okay, now I'm just getting carried away!
Ahhh.....I knew that was you being carted off by the guys in the little white jackets!:cheer:
Well, they did tell me they knew a quiet place........
.........where some nice people were going to take good care of me...............................
OHIO UNIVERSITY
Hancock the Superb
Reactions:

If this game is going to be the most realistic game on the market, what is the problem with doing this stuff correctly?
Hancock the Superb
norb
Reactions:

Post by norb »

The problem is that we would never get it finished. We have to draw the line somewhere and even now we have just gotten into some basic testing. The engine will evolve over patches and expansion packs, but we must have a finite set of features for the first release. Unless all we want to do is talk about it and not actually play it.
Hancock the Superb
Reactions:

I could almost settle for that:laugh:
Hancock the Superb