Courier System Complaint

Davinci
Reactions:

Courier System Complaint

Post by Davinci »

I would guess that since I’m the only one complaining about this, that it’s just my style of playing, so this problem will probably never be corrected.

I have always placed a heavy movement penalty on crossing any type of terrain except the road system. This was done due to the fact that I don’t believe that the units could cross over the farms, woods, etc quickly without becoming some what disorganized, so they would move slower to keep the formations intact.

Now, I have always moved the men around the map, making sure that the road-system from the men marching, and back to the top commands were protected to ensure a speedy message system, and to bring up reinforcements.

With that said, why has the courier system changed to the point that the couriers will now leave the protected road system and ride across the fields?

This might be a more direct-route, but due to the slower-terrain, it takes a very, very long time to get the messages to the forward units.

I think that the couriers should keep to the road system, especially if they are moving towards a target that is several miles away from their position.

Now, if the target is several hundred meters away, yes cross over the fields, but not if they are miles apart.

Just my complaint for the day!

davinci
The only true logic is that, there is no true logic!
NY Cavalry
Reactions:

Re: Courier System Complaint

Post by NY Cavalry »

Lol, I guess it is damned if you do damned if you don't. I have been asking to get couriers off roads for a long time and now that they are.......oh well......

I am presently reading about the Battle of Chickamuanga where orders sent were never received and commanders had orders never followed or misunderstandings all due to orders.

Maybe you need a new chief of staff? Just a joke.
Davinci
Reactions:

Post by Davinci »

Lol, I guess it is damned if you do damned if you don't. I have been asking to get couriers off roads for a long time and now that they are.......oh well......
Well, then I guess that this new-system works well for you and not so well for myself !

Sort of makes me wonder why anyone should keep the road-systems open, but that probably really didn’t happen in the Civil War.

General – you will be pleased to know that the roads are clear of all enemy troops.

Major that is just stupid, send the wagons and artillery through those woods over there, it’s a lot faster.

Yes, makes a lot of sense to me!!!!!

davinci
NY Cavalry
Reactions:

Post by NY Cavalry »

The system isn't perfect.

If you played Heth on day 1 and (there is a scenerio I forget which one exactly it was) send couriers to Archer, Brockenbourg, Davis, and Pettigrew......the couriers went right to Brockenbourg, Archer, and Pettigrew. Davis was a different story. Davis is 300 yards away and the couriers uses about a mile of road to get to him. The attack is all off balance because Davis is way too late.

If you stood at Bliss farm and wanted to courier a brigade or regiment 300 yards to your right (south) the courier would take a road north through Gettysburg to get there.

For every example you want to make I can make another. Not trying to be argumentative, but which way would you want it. I had given up couriers because I could not get a message to a unit 300 yards away without the courier riding for miles.

I probably shouldn't be commenting I see your point. I am just satisfied and am willing to get back into couriers. Its a great part of the game.

A use road command for a courier.
Last edited by NY Cavalry on Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Davinci
Reactions:

Post by Davinci »

NY Cavalry – Yes, I do understand and see your point, I have been one of the biggest supporters of the courier-system, and really don’t play the game without them.

After reading your post, I have also realized that I sometimes forget that there are multiple ways of playing this game, and sometimes get side-tracked into just the single-player aspect of it!

So, I should have stated that the Single-Player-Courier-System is now messed up, and the couriers should try to stick to the road-system, due to the fact that I am responsible for ensuring that the roads are clear.

Yes , that’s what I meant to complain about!

davinci
Amish John
Reactions:

Post by Amish John »

Based on what is being discussed, I assume the game doesn't determine the quickest route?
Last edited by Amish John on Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
You can get farther with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone.
Davinci
Reactions:

Post by Davinci »

Based on what is being discussed, I assume the game doesn't determine the quickest route?
I’m not exactly sure how the system is now programmed, but I have a picture below that sort of explains what I do not like about it!

This is an Open Play game that has me moving my forces east, since I know that the enemy will be moving their forces west from my current position.

Now, since I’m not sure about their direct approach, I will always split my army into three-separate-groups.

The main-attack-force will march together under one divisional leader, while I move another smaller group to act as a sort of scouting party, and they can also be used to reinforce the larger unit if the situation calls for.

The third group will usually stay behind at camp, to move in the direction of which ever units need the greater-support.

Now the smaller unit has first noticed the advancing federal troops, so I sent a courier to the larger unit to dispatch the last brigade and to move in the direction of the red-arrow .

These will slow-down the advancing federal-troops until I can move other troops to this spot.

The problem here is that the courier which has a direct-road-path in front of them, has taken to crossing the fields which has a lower movement speed, so it will probably never arrive in time to slow down the advancing enemy units.

So – why not just move the troops-by-hand?

I can only move the unit’s by-hand or manually when they are directly on the front lines.

It’s just one of my rules for playing this game when using the courier-system!
The attachment courier.jpg is no longer available
davinci
Attachments
courier.jpg
courier.jpg (202.58 KiB) Viewed 702 times
Marching Thru Georgia
Reactions:

Post by Marching Thru Georgia »

I believe couriers take a direct path if the distance is 400 yd (1200 ft, 0.2 mi)or less. Otherwise they will take a road if one is nearby. This is perfectly reasonable. If the unit is in sight why take a road. Cross country is faster. NY Cavalry gave good examples why the distance was lengthened. Courier play was a joke. It was easier to ride over to the sub-commander and give the orders verbally. The problem is that you have chosen to make cross country travel prohibitively expensive.
I can make this march and I will make Georgia howl.
Davinci
Reactions:

Post by Davinci »

I believe couriers take a direct path if the distance is 400 yd (1200 ft, 0.2 mi) or less.
The picture above shows that the distance is clearly larger or greater than your example, which is why I'm posting about this.

If the distance was shorter, yes of course cross over the fields, but this is one of the five mile maps, so the distance from the camp to the last brigade is roughly over a mile.
NY Cavalry gave good examples why the distance was lengthened. Courier play was a joke. It was easier to ride over to the sub-commander and give the orders verbally. The problem is that you have chosen to make cross country travel prohibitively expensive.
Understandable, that's the reason I changed and mentioned that outside of scenario's or multi-playing - this does not seem to work in the Open-Play aspect of the game.

davinci
Last edited by Davinci on Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Beef Stu
Reactions:

Post by Beef Stu »

I'm with NY cav on this one. I can finally enjoy single player courier battles.

there's no way to mod courier pathing?