Courier System Complaint

Davinci
Reactions:

Re: Courier System Complaint

Post by Davinci »

I'm with NY cav on this one. I can finally enjoy single player courier battles.
All three of you guys have a valid point, a valid point that I never considered or even noticed in any of my games, due to the fact that I never sent a courier to units that were so close to each other.

I have lifted the heavy penalty bonus that I had in the open field areas, but kept the penalties for the crops and the woods, and the fences.

This does seem to speed up the couriers whom have a faster movement speed than the Infantry, so that is a work-around for the couriers leaving the roads.

Yes, it would be nice if there were a few settings in the game that gave the player the ability to choose if the couriers stayed on the roads within a certain distance.

davinci
The only true logic is that, there is no true logic!
con20or
Reactions:

Post by con20or »

Guys - im going to move this to the HITS section because there are some good ideas here. This way next time we are drawing up our wishlist for courier features in any future patches/releases, I'll be able to find it.
Last edited by con20or on Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marching Thru Georgia
Reactions:

Post by Marching Thru Georgia »

Davinci,
The problem may not be with the couriers. I was adding locations to the mini-map you showed. As I was running my commander around the map I noticed that some of the roads have breaks in them. Even though I wanted him to go only a short distance down the road, he would turn around and go off in the opposite direction. Maybe that's the problem you see. The courier can't find a continuous road.
I can make this march and I will make Georgia howl.
Davinci
Reactions:

Post by Davinci »

Davinci,
The problem may not be with the couriers. I was adding locations to the mini-map you showed. As I was running my commander around the map I noticed that some of the roads have breaks in them. Even though I wanted him to go only a short distance down the road, he would turn around and go off in the opposite direction. Maybe that's the problem you see. The courier can't find a continuous road.
MTG – first, I took your advice above and lifted the heavy-penalty-restriction that I had on the terrain, and this does help the situation.

This pertains to the quote above.

This is one of the new maps as you know, except that this maps mapname.bmp file was the size of 4096x4096 .

So, I changed it back into the regular default size of 2048x2048 . Now, when this file is reduced it will completely destroy the road system that during the reduction.

So, I had to completely re-do the entire road system, pixel-by-pixel.

With that said, I don’t think that it is the road system that is causing this, due to the fact that I had General Longstreet placed on the road before sending the courier to the last brigade.

The courier actually left the road in order to ride across the fields, as did the courier before him.

Now, I will also add that I was playing a different game, and my units were stationed at the south-eastern part of the map, and the couriers seemed to follow the road-system.

I’ll continue to test this but I think that if the game can draw a straight-line from the Commander to the Recipient then the courier will move directly towards the target.

If the game cannot see the Recipient such as a distance greater than two-miles, the courier will continue to stay on the roads.

The picture that I posted above shows that there is two couriers displayed by a banner-like-triangle-flag and both of them decided that the roads were not the fastest or the quickest route to their targets.

But, you have given me another idea, I wonder if a unit is blocked by another unit while marching that would cause the AI to seek another route pertaining to the couriers.

davinci
The only true logic is that, there is no true logic!